Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 07:16:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Heart. Shattered Momma. BPD Son. 19-20 years old.  (Read 443 times)
Shelbers1

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: June 09, 2016, 01:24:05 PM »

First post here. So, hello everyone out there in cyber land. I found this site because I needed somewhere to go for advice, for guidance, for feedback, to help me understand how to best handle my son's splitting, because when he splits, he splits big, and for a very long time.

First question: How do you handle such constant defiance and rage in your face? How do you handle a closed and locked bedroom door that won't open? How do you stop them from hating you so much?

Thank you and god bless everyone here.

xoxo
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 02:02:15 PM »

Hello shelbers1,

We are so glad that you found us and are sharing with us.  I can feel your pain through your words and questions. 

"How do you handle such constant defiance and rage in your face?"

For me personally, I had to build a wall in the sand and underneath it was a solid rock foundation that protected me mentally and emotionally from verbal abuse.  The wall is my boundaries and the rock foundation is my values on which my boundaries are based.  It really helped me create a safe space for myself so that I could better learn affective communication skills to deal with my child.  She was ODD, MDD, emerging BPD, anxiety, and psychotic features... .all at the age of 13.

"How do you handle a closed and locked bedroom door that won't open?"

I let it be.  A door is like a mobile boundary that says "I am taking personal space that I need".  With my d, forcing anything only made things worse.  Now I encourage her to take personal space when a heated discussion is beginning or she goes into victim mode.  I usually start with myself.  "I am going to take some space and after we both have taken some space we can come back together and discuss this again in a respectful way". 

"How do you stop them from hating you so much?"

My d used to tell me all the time "I hate you".  After much treatment and a rebuilding of our relationship she tells me she never really hated me.  She just felt such intense emotions of anger that it felt like "hate" in the moment.  That's one thing to keep in mind about our kids w/BPD... .feelings=facts to them.   

As you can see my daughter has made significant progress to the point of not being diagnosable with the disorder.  This all took place over a course of 6 years so keep the faith shelbers1, it can get better.  The most important thing I was able to do to help my daughter was to learn to take care of myself so that I could continue to be a source of support for her.  I learned all the Tools and Lessons that you see in the right side bar and I practiced them as consistently and accurately as I possibly could.

I look forward to your next message and helping you where I am able.

lbjnltx

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
Shelbers1

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 01:12:06 PM »

Thank you so so very much lbjnltx for your kind, informative and personal response. Sincerely. I am touched that you took the time to respond exactly to my questions.

And thank you for providing this safe haven for us to visit.

Love to you,

Hello shelbers1,

We are so glad that you found us and are sharing with us.  I can feel your pain through your words and questions. 

"How do you handle such constant defiance and rage in your face?"

For me personally, I had to build a wall in the sand and underneath it was a solid rock foundation that protected me mentally and emotionally from verbal abuse.  The wall is my boundaries and the rock foundation is my values on which my boundaries are based.  It really helped me create a safe space for myself so that I could better learn affective communication skills to deal with my child.  She was ODD, MDD, emerging BPD, anxiety, and psychotic features... .all at the age of 13.

"How do you handle a closed and locked bedroom door that won't open?"

I let it be.  A door is like a mobile boundary that says "I am taking personal space that I need".  With my d, forcing anything only made things worse.  Now I encourage her to take personal space when a heated discussion is beginning or she goes into victim mode.  I usually start with myself.  "I am going to take some space and after we both have taken some space we can come back together and discuss this again in a respectful way". 

"How do you stop them from hating you so much?"

My d used to tell me all the time "I hate you".  After much treatment and a rebuilding of our relationship she tells me she never really hated me.  She just felt such intense emotions of anger that it felt like "hate" in the moment.  That's one thing to keep in mind about our kids w/BPD... .feelings=facts to them.   

As you can see my daughter has made significant progress to the point of not being diagnosable with the disorder.  This all took place over a course of 6 years so keep the faith shelbers1, it can get better.  The most important thing I was able to do to help my daughter was to learn to take care of myself so that I could continue to be a source of support for her.  I learned all the Tools and Lessons that you see in the right side bar and I practiced them as consistently and accurately as I possibly could.

I look forward to your next message and helping you where I am able.

lbjnltx

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 12:45:49 PM »

You are most welcome!

We are all here to help one another.

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest