Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 09:16:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas thoughts  (Read 359 times)
rarsweet

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: December 24, 2016, 08:43:43 PM »

I have mixed feelings this Christmas. I am sad and angry that it is another Christmas without anything from my daughter's father. I let her go to his family's Christmas gathering yesterday. Of course he wasn't there since he now has no contact with any of his family. I was upset that a distant step uncle that lives across the country and has never even met my daughter sent a present for her, but her father can't even send a card. I am also relieved that he is out of the picture, at least for now, and that she is so happy and healthy. She has no memory of him and the only reference she has of dads is of the other kids dads we know and movies. I am starting to think about the day she asks if she has a dad. When she plays with her dollhouse dolls she has a dad doll. I don't know what I will say to her when she asks. I have been thinking I should probably have a talk with his family if they plan on staying in her life. Talk about what we can say about her dad so we are on the same page. But I also try hard not to put them in the middle. I don't want her to think her dad didn't want her and I don't want her to think her dad is screwed up. Has anyone else had a completely absent other parent? Is it better if the kids are young enough to not have any memory of them?
VitaminC

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 09:17:44 PM »

Hi rarsweet,

I don't have an answer to your question, I'm sorry, but wanted to let you know that I pictured your little girl playing happily with her dollhouse and putting in a dad doll, and being warm and familiar and happy at her grandparents'. I think it's wonderful that she has that whole other big family to create context for her life.

It sounds like talking to his family in advance of her asking any questions is a good idea. You sound like a sensitive and capable mother and I am sure you will find the right words for the right amount of information, when your daughter begins to ask questions. How old is she? Has she never spoken of it?

Have a lovely Christmas   
rarsweet

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 09:39:11 PM »

She is 29 months old now. I invited ex to her birthday party in July and he came for an hour. She did not react to him at all. Other than that she hasn't seen him since February and had only been seeing him for around 10 hours a week for the 6 months before that. We had 50/50 from 7 weeks old until right after her 1st birthday. No she hasn't ever said anything about him, even when he took off in February. She is very verbal and I always thought it strange that she never asked for him even though she asks for the sitter if she goes 2 days without seeing her. I noticed over the summer she would call other men "dad", but it was always other kids dads, you know she just heard them called that. Actually my teenage babysitter's dad is called ":)addy Shawn", by my daughter. She was calling him dad so much we just started saying it with his name and he is o.k. with it. Now she doesn't call other men dad anymore but I notice her doing it when she watches movies, she will say "the daddy". There is a Robin Williams movie "RV", she calls that the "daddy movie". So I know she realizes that there are dads but I don't think she quite realizes that she has one or is supposed to have one yet. When she plays with her dollhouse she always has the dad doll drive the car, it's kind of funny, I wonder if she has picked up on any sexism like men are supposed to drive.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 10:37:45 PM »

An age appropriate response is warranted.  What are your thoughts on what that might look like?

I'm dealing with this on kids who still want us together. It's heartbreaking for children that this is the reality. 

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest