Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 05:44:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Out of gas  (Read 369 times)
NorthernGirl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married

« on: January 04, 2017, 03:31:48 PM »

After a year of significant ups and downs, I am out of gas. I am just not sure if I can keep going at the pace we've been going without it impacting my health, my relationship with DH, my relationship with SS22 or all of the above.

Here are a few 2016 highlights:
* DH got sole guardianship of SS22, who has special needs, after a lengthy legal process.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post). But getting to this involved weeks of prep, L meetings and sorting hundreds of emails. And we spent hours in a hearing listening to uBPD call SS22 “mentally retarded” and struggle to explain her twisted thinking. 
* Shortly after the court decision, uBPD moved away telling SS22 she was moving for a couple years to help out her "dying" parents and because she needed a job. She said she was sad because she "lost" and no longer felt that she was SS22's mother.   Then she moved back telling SS22 her parents are fine and she doesn't need money.
* Within weeks of her return, she filed a formal complaint against DH with the guardianship office, mostly using the same stuff she used in court.   The office investigated and after 6 or 7 weeks gave a report saying the complaint was unfounded.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
* SS24 (an addict) wrote a horrible letter slamming DH to give to his mother as support for her court filing. Within days after the hearing, SS24 said he wanted to connect with DH again, but didn't really want to talk about the letter (or awful one he wrote last year). DH suggested SS24 see a T and then the two of them would talk it out with the T. SS24 agreed but he stopped going saying it was too hard. He got accepted into college in the fall, but was ill prepared (he has few coping mechanisms for stress, other than drug use) so relapsed and pulled out. uBPD took him in. SS24 wrote several more horrible texts, including one denouncing DH as his father.  SS24 and his mother's toxic co-dependent relationship continues. 
* uBPD sent DH emails saying he needs to confess that he is the source of all SS24's issues and that he needs to pay for SS24's living expenses since she isn't working.   DH didn't respond.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
* Once DH was granted guardianship, things have been going well for SS22. He got a new job that he likes, got a girlfriend, ran his first half marathon, went on a great guys trip with his Dad, etc. etc.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) He also drank too much at a bar, lied about it and other things, continues to inform his mother of everything at our house, etc. He is struggling with wanting his independence but not being able to manage a bunch of things without help. Last night he said he wants to live with us forever because being mature is too hard. 
* uBPD berated SS26 for supporting DH in his guardianship application (the judge commented on SS26's respectful letter than said nothing about his mother.) When his mom blamed him for all that was wrong in her life, SS26 decided to go LC with his Mom (NC at first, now occasional contact). He's had good support from his GF. He also got accepted in law school in another city and started last fall. Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  UBPD emailed SS26 the minute he arrived in town for the holidays (likely asked SS22 for the time), laying on the guilt. He hung in through the holidays, but the memory of past Christmases and the FOG from his Mom made it a difficult time.
* SS22 lives with us basically full-time now. uBPD decided she didn't want him living with her after the court decision. It's great for him -- more consistency, strong support from DH and me, encouragement to do the things he likes, etc.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) But it makes it difficult on DH and me. We have to work hard to find time for just us. SS22 is a lovely young man, but requires a lot of energy and support.
* Both SS22 and DH suffer from anxiety. DH had several panic attacks last year. SS22 breaks down crying a couple times a month with some crisis or issue. All the boys likely suffer some PTSD from years with uBPD. All of them need lots of validation, and I am the one DH and SS22 turn to most often for validation. It can be very draining.

There is more, but you get the idea of the highs and lows. We have good boundaries set up with uBPD. We have T support for SS22. I look after myself -- healthy eating, exercise, mindfulness, getting out in nature -- which helps. I have some support from family and friends but know they get tired (and sometimes shocked) by my stories. Even with all the help,  I'm feeling as though my tank is on empty.

Any ideas of what I can do? (Besides whine to all of you or run away to the circus?) Smiling (click to insert in post)

[/url]
DreamGirl
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 05:48:38 PM »

Which circus? 

"What I want is what I've not got, and what I need is all around me." ~Dave Matthews

soundofmusicgirl

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 01:05:12 AM »

NorthernGirl... .wow... I can completely understand why you are whiped out. That is a lot of things happening in one. And especially it all comes at an age and time when most parents "send their kids out into the world to do their own thing". And for you and DH you still have the full responsibility of grown children and their mental health and well being.

I frequently hit the same wall: i am whiped out, I can`t deal with the drama and chaos anymore and I can´t be the constant source of validation.

I wish I would be able to give a recipe to fix it all. After 5 years of marriage I am still struggling to find the cure to balance out the emotional trauma we are subjected to by having a uBPD in our lives.

Keep on breathing and keep on doing what you can. Maybe also take a little trip away from (or with) DH and family. I am a very social person but after each visit of my SS`s I need a lot of "alone time". Not because they exhaust me (they don`t) but because of all the drama, manipulation and constant chaos that is being created visit they have with my DH and me.
Panda39

Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 06:53:03 AM »

Mani/Pedi?  Smiling (click to insert in post) Girls night out?  Date night?  Weekend with DH at a hotel... .with room service? Making something creative? Quiet time with a good book? Therapy for you?  Meditation?, Get out in nature?  Trip to a museum and lunch? DH takes SS22 somewhere for an afternoon so you can have some downtime,  A double feature (does anyone still do that?), bubble bath-candles-your fav music... .basically do something fun for yourself or let someone else take care of you for a change.

You've had a lot going on and we also just came through the holidays which tends to up the busyness scale several notches.

Ask your DH & SS for what you need and go for it!

Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
NorthernGirl

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 08:24:02 AM »

Which circus? 

Why DreamGirl -- are you going to join as well.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Thanks soundofmusicgirl and Panda39. I do think the holiday season has contributed to the exhaustion. We had SS26 and his GF stay with us for 10 days, and the GF has health issues that require a very restrictive diet, so it was a challenge. And DH and his boys are all more tense over Christmas due to past events (one year uBPD gave SS22 a present, but gave SS24 and SS26 nothing. Not even a card.) And I spent holidays with my family for years, so I miss them this time of year. So it all adds up.

DH and I are going to get away at the end of the month for a couple nights at a hotel in the mountains. And I made arrangements with one GF to go to a spa and another to go for brunch this month, so those will help.

My guess is many of us need a vacation after the holiday season.

[/url]
DreamGirl
Retired Staff

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 12:17:57 PM »

Why DreamGirl -- are you going to join as well.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Yes, I have so much experience!

I think there's so much value in saying -- "I'm running on empty here."

Even just admitting it helps.

I also know that self care is essential. But how do you even get to the gym or the hair salon when you are so strung out on drama that sleep seems like the most invigorating activity imaginable?

NG, I know that you can get through this. That you'll figure it out. That you'll find a balance. That there will be a sweet spot in the mix that will make it all tolerable and fun again.

It's just not right now.

That's OK.  

"What I want is what I've not got, and what I need is all around me." ~Dave Matthews

NorthernGirl

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 05:27:47 PM »

Even just admitting it helps

Thanks DG.

I agree admitting I'm out of gas helps - me and others involved. It helps me to say I can't try to keep everyone afloat. And it helps DH and SS see that they can't lean on me all the time. And that it is normal to have some ups and downs. And I will get more energy again.

[/url]
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest