Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 02:25:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips For Picking Yourself Up?  (Read 371 times)
MiserableMostly

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: January 17, 2017, 11:21:33 AM »

I'm a little over a month NC with my uBPDexgf. I've been having ups and downs but I just feel like I've hit an all-time low in this process. I am really depressed to the point where I'm having trouble getting out of bed and actually feel physically weak. I thought I'd be doing better now as I'm over a month with NC. Anyway, I just have some questions:

1) Any tips for picking myself up again? Shaking myself out of a slump?

2) When I find myself ruminating or just having memories that are coupled with strong emotions is it better to A) Basically yell the thoughts out of my head so I don't think about my ex so much or B) Sit with the thoughts and emotions and try to accept and temper them, essentially try to have the thought and be indifferent to it

3) Based on the answer to that, HOW do I do either of those things?

4) How do I cope with the reality that my ex has moved on with her life and I have not? The fact that she's doing "fine" or whatever "fine" means for a BPD while I'm still having trouble getting out of bed one month later makes me feel like a loser.

5) How do I convince myself that I'll find love? I hadn't felt this way about someone in 10 years and when I found my BPDex I was so relieved, I felt so lucky, I honestly couldn't believe it. It took ten years the first time, and felt so rare, and then wasn't even real. It just feels like I'll never find someone that I really, actually like this much.

6) Is it ok to have vengeance fantasies or conversations with her in my head where I tell her how much of a monster she is or is that holding me back?

7) When will I feel better? So far, there's been ups and downs, but the last few days have felt like I was just drained of all energy and zest for life. I felt more alive when I was going insane with my BPDex. Now I feel just, sad and pathetic.

8) How do I force myself to get all my work done when I can't even get out of bed?

Thank you for any advice.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »

hi MiserableMostly and Welcome

i remember in my case it felt like things got worse before they got better. im sorry to hear youre having a hard time 

1) Any tips for picking myself up again? Shaking myself out of a slump?

slowly but surely build routine. i remember at my worst, my routine was little more than taking some supplements every few hours. small steps count, and you can build on them. take care of yourself, do things you enjoy. reach out to friends and family - i did so even though it frankly made me more depressed at first to be around them. rediscover your skills, hobbies, creative outputs, and perhaps more importantly, consider developing new ones - its great for the confidence and self esteem.

also, consider seeing a doctor and/or therapist.

2) When I find myself ruminating or just having memories that are coupled with strong emotions is it better to A) Basically yell the thoughts out of my head so I don't think about my ex so much or B) Sit with the thoughts and emotions and try to accept and temper them, essentially try to have the thought and be indifferent to it

no right or wrong answer here in my opinion. most of my ruminations i put to pen and paper. endless ranting, adding up all sorts of nonsensical things, but no regrets, i feel in retrospect myself and my psyche were working toward reaching an understanding of what id been through. of course it can get debilitating, even painful, too. there are tools we have here for managing ruminations, and a lot of members have benefited from setting limits (time limits, certain times of the day) to do their ruminating.

4) How do I cope with the reality that my ex has moved on with her life and I have not?

not easily. shaming yourself or comparing yourself to her however will not help. this was a traumatic experience with someone you loved. give yourself permission to grieve. there came a point when i accepted the notion that i was deeply wounded, recovery is not linear, i will get better, but it was going to take what it took, and it did.

5) How do I convince myself that I'll find love? I hadn't felt this way about someone in 10 years and when I found my BPDex I was so relieved, I felt so lucky, I honestly couldn't believe it. It took ten years the first time, and felt so rare, and then wasn't even real. It just feels like I'll never find someone that I really, actually like this much.

this is a further down the road question, involves healing, rebuilding your self confidence and self esteem, surrounding yourself with people that love you, and exploring the dating world at your own pace, perhaps in new ways. as well, and perhaps before that, digging deeper and exploring your relationship, and the particular draws for you.

6) Is it ok to have vengeance fantasies or conversations with her in my head where I tell her how much of a monster she is or is that holding me back?

sure its okay. anger is a natural part of detachment and grief. like any stage, we can get stuck there, and id certainly discourage acting on the fantasies. if it were me, id write them down, play them out. put them toward a creative action.

7) When will I feel better?

its only been a month; in my experience, and many members, thats a pretty short amount of time. expect that there will be ups and downs, that in some cases it may feel like things are worse before they get better, but that every bit of it is progress, whether it feels that way or not.

you mention you felt more alive when you were going insane with your ex. these were loaded, volatile relationships with a lot of highs and lows, and adrenaline. it is somewhat natural to feel drained.

8) How do I force myself to get all my work done when I can't even get out of bed?

what kind of work?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 12:05:07 PM »

Hi MiserableMostly,

Welcome

Excerpt
I am really depressed to the point where I'm having trouble getting out of bed and actually feel physically weak.

Excerpt

Excerpt
also, consider seeing a doctor and/or therapist.

I agree with this, are you on anti-depressants? Have you seen a GP about depression?

TEST | Depression Self Testing: Are you depressed?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
MiserableMostly

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 12:13:47 PM »

I am currently seeing a psychiatrist but I'm not on anti-depressants. I don't feel like I need to take anything since this feels temporary and something I just need to work through.

As for work - I'm a writer and I have a bunch of deadlines coming up and Thursday I will actually have to go INTO the office... .but I think I might go into the office today since being alone in my apartment is not helping.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 12:17:27 PM »

Good for you that you're seeing a P  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Have you mentioned the symptoms to your P? Would you push through asthma, diabetes, back injury?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
SuperJew82

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 12:24:27 PM »

Thanks once_removed... .Your reply also addresses some of the things I am going through. I like how you break everything down and address each part in a modular fashion.
SuperJew82

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 12:39:31 PM »

I had to force myself to go to the gym... .and it wasn't easy. I also don't like the idea of anti-depressants but I do take supplements that have proven ( clinical trials etc ) anti-depressant effects like Curcumin, FishOil, Lion's Mane... .I mean even if it's a placebo, it's worth it!
Germanic

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 01:41:11 PM »

MiserableMostly,

It's been about 6 weeks for me with NC from my BPDex from which I 'escaped' but I unknowingly actually left the door open for him to doing so.

It's been really hard but I was in an intense long distance relationship for about a year yet I can only imagine the magnitude of the hurt you are feeling now with the duration of your relationship.  What helped me most was first, finding this website and posting.  Second, I'm so thankful for my goods friends and understanding family who have been truly supportive.

Lastly, READ, READ, READ!  Google "BPD victims" and you will find a lot of material to help you understand what you were dealing with, why you are feeling as you do and why it is so difficult to recover.  This material will also help you understand what others have experienced as you read through the posts on this website.  I am just amazed at how many people have been subjected to these types of relationships.

I have good days and bad moments.  Just as I think I have everything processed, another thought or angle comes into my head making me think, "what if."  A close friend said to me, "You can't make sense out of nonsense."  Our relationships with BPDs are riddled with nonsense.  Trying to figure it all out after coming through it leaves us with major gaps in realistic reasoning with our BPD relationship.  That's what BPD's appear to be all about; little to no rational reality. 

If I feel down, after a while I'll either read posts on this website and sometimes post comments myself or I do more reading and research into the condition of BPD to reinforce my understanding of the behavioral characteristics I witnessed during my relationship and what the norm is for BPD's.  The more I read, the more I realize the magnitude of what I was dealing with.  At the time I exited the relationship, I had never heard of BPD or had any personal experience with mental disorders.  In discussing my situation with a good friend, they suggested I research BPD and voila!  The light bulb went off!  I'm also learning more about myself and why I would have been attracted to a BPD in the first place and more importantly, why I would have ever put up with the nonsense when it started after the initial 'golden period' ended.

Since then, I've gotten out into the world, met a couple of new people and received a few compliments which have really helped to boost my confidence and my spirit.  There is a whole world out there of really nice people dying to meet someone else who is truly "nice."  In spite of the fact that we really loved these individuals, they are compromised in their ability to function like the majority of the rest of the world does.  I will always love the BPD I was involved with and will always care for him.  It's just that I can never let him know or ever go back.     

I also believe NC is absolutely the way to go if you can.  Fortunately, I was in a position to make a clean break.  I suspect that one day, I'll hear from him.  I hope it never happens however if it does,  I know it is important that I muster all the strength I can to not respond.  There appears to be no advantage to keeping any contact if it is not necessary.

Germanic         
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest