Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 03:54:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coparenting with somebody that acts like a sibling instead of a parent  (Read 351 times)
vortex of confusion

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: January 20, 2017, 11:26:37 AM »

I have been trying to put my finger on how to describe ex's behavior regarding his interactions with the kids.

After an incident that occurred when he was here the other day, it dawned on me that he acts more like a sibling than a parent. The interactions with the kids are more like sibling rivalry than anything else I can describe.

Has anybody else dealt with this? If so, do you have any ideas?

Ex isn't arguing with me on anything so I am letting him see the kids at my place and I am usually here to cut out the "sibling" rivalry. It is hard on the kids because they don't feel like they can rely on him to act like a dad.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 11:09:29 PM »

I play with my kids.  They are silly.  Sometimes I regret encouraging it,  because they can be so irreverent and silly as to drive me nuts.  Despite this,  I have no problem projecting DAD. I'm their father/parent; this is my role.  When DAD needs to assert that role,  DAD comes out.  Kids comply.  No choice.

Your kids' father is emotionally limited.  My ex is kind of like this, though higher functioning.  I've observed that sometimes it seems like she doesn't know how to handle the kids. Both of her parents were distant, or not there in their own ways.  Maybe it's similar with your kids' father. 

It sounds like your kids have picked up on some ideal of how a father should be.  You know here's limited; likewise,  they seem to have picked up on it,  too.   Maybe it's disappointing to them.  That's OK; it is what it is.  Given that,  how do you think you can talk to them without alienating them?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
vortex of confusion

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 11:13:08 AM »

I play with my kids.  They are silly.  Sometimes I regret encouraging it,  because they can be so irreverent and silly as to drive me nuts.  Despite this,  I have no problem projecting DAD. I'm their father/parent; this is my role.  When DAD needs to assert that role,  DAD comes out.  Kids comply.  No choice.

He can't project DAD. I can be silly and have fun. I know how to stop it when things go too far. He doesn't. I have had to step in and stop it for him because he and the kids end up bickering like children rather than him stepping in.

Excerpt
I've observed that sometimes it seems like she doesn't know how to handle the kids. Both of her parents were distant, or not there in their own ways.  Maybe it's similar with your kids' father. 

That is definitely the case with ex. I think that is why he was so great when the kids were younger. There weren't so many of them and it was easier to navigate. The oldest has commented that dad is great when it is just the two of him. He talks too much about himself. She has commented that dad gets too easily overwhelmed when it is all 4 of them.

Excerpt
It sounds like your kids have picked up on some ideal of how a father should be.  You know here's limited; likewise,  they seem to have picked up on it,  too.   Maybe it's disappointing to them.  That's OK; it is what it is.  Given that,  how do you think you can talk to them without alienating them?

It is very disappointing to them, especially the older ones. A lot of the ideal of how a father should be came from how he used to be when they were little. It was much easier for him to diffuse things when they were little. He could get out his puppet and the puppet seemed to instantly diffuse the situation. His old tricks were great for toddlers. Not so much for older kids. Some of it isn't even about an ideal father. It is about having adults that one can trust. They see how I am and how other adults in their lives are and they wonder why dad can't be the same way. We can all be very silly and fun loving and the kids know that they can count on us to figure out whatever may come at them. It is much more comfortable if you are with somebody that you know isn't going to panic or get overwhelmed when something goes wrong. It feels a lot safer to be with somebody that you know is going to remain calm and can deal with any situation that may arise. Dad isn't dangerous yet they don't feel safe with him because they know that he gets easily overwhelmed. In some cases, the kids are better able to handle stuff than he is.

The kids and I have had some good discussions about how to spend time with dad and have it be positive. One comment was to not expect anything from him. Another was to think of him as they would think of a friend. They want me around when dad comes to visit. I try to stay in my room or on the periphery and that seems to help them all relax. If dad gets overwhelmed, I can step in and take over. That isn't an ideal solution because I would like to be able to go off and do my own thing from time to time.

Ex has pretty much handed over all of the decision making to me so it is up to me to find positive ways for him and the kids to spend time together.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest