Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 01:55:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grown daughter with BPD/ NPD  (Read 461 times)
Golfergal
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: February 12, 2017, 07:59:22 PM »

I'm new to these forums but have been seeing a therapist locally.  I believe my grown daughter has a mix of NPD and BPD.  She is now in her mid 30's and has 3 beautiful children.  It seems I take the brunt of her antics along with her first husband (now-ex) who is constantly threatened by her.  It's always the same --- when she doesn't like something he or I do or say she repays us by either threatening or following through on not allowing me to see my grandchildren.  Sometimes it's very passive aggressiive--- she just won't answer the phone and is "too busy" to talk to me.  There are times I've tried to have her talk to me about what's going on and I usually get an absolute refusal to meet with me.  She does call or text when she needs something.  I'm here to watch, listen and learn how the rest of the community deals with grown children with this disorder.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 10:09:15 PM »

Hi!
Welcome Golfergal:  
I'm sorry about the problems you are having with your daughter. It has to be doubly tough when she withholds your grandchildren.

You can't change your daughter, but you can change the way you communicate with her and how you react.  You indicate you are seeing a therapist. It can be a good combination to study some of the tools here and then discuss them in therapy as well. It offers reinforcement.  You can practice some skills here too. It can help to give examples and gain the input of others.

There are links to articles on communication tools in the margin on the right side.  Validation and SET are good skills.  Check them out and let us know What you think.  Boundaries can be important for you and are something you will need to enforce.  Perhaps you could set a boundary in regard to her ignoring you until she wants something?

Golfergal
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 09:31:35 PM »

Thank you.  I learn something new every time i talk to someone about this sickness. I'm going  to read some of the online resources   I love your idea of the boundary.
abcdef1

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 04:10:36 PM »

Hi Golfergal I feel exactly what you feel and am experiencing the same pain. I too believe my D has both BPD and NPD. Here is what just happened to me:
 I just had an interaction (phone call) from my Grandkids who told me they cannot come any more because 'Mommy doesnt like to spend time at your house'. They sounded miserable. I am broken. They are the only reason why I even care if I have any contact with my BPD daughter. SHe is only pain and those kids are only joy. I asked her if I could skype and she said no she doesnt like to skype and it 'wouldnt work out' (without trying it). so now she is witholding them and turning them against us... .she knows we dont care about her as much as we do about them and uses them to manipulate us whenever she can.now shes rewriting history and creating a reality where her kids (who LOVE to come) dont want to come either... and telling THEM that they dont like to come. What can I do? I am so broken... .
Glenna

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 08:05:24 AM »

Hi,

Since I actually have to live with my BPDD, 37, and her 2 sons, I am too exhausted to write much. Yesterday was typical hell for no reason.

I do want to contribute my experiences as related to this thread though. With my daughter, the worst thing I can do for myself is to ask for anything from her or appear in any way needy. When she reduces me to tears, which is frequently, she gets even more hardened. My best tactic, and I recognize it as just that, is to be somewhat distant. Somewhat cordial, a bit 'just fine,' and go about my business as if it's important.

When she wasn't living with me, the best thing I could do for myself was not call her. She would always call me. The one time years ago when I called her depressed and needy has been thrown at me as an example of my lowness and sickness so many times it's almost comical.

Glenna
Glenna

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 08:14:24 AM »

Hi again,

I just want to add that when I say nothing at all from my point of view, just quietly agree with everything she says, things are more peaceful and she starts to be nicer.

For what it's worth.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Glenna
Glenna

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 08:25:38 AM »

Dear abcdef1,

You say your daughter 'knows' you don't care about her as much as you care about the grandchildren?
In my opinion, from experience, this will cause endless suffering for everyone involved! This is exactly what enrages these people because it hurts them where they already have a knife sticking in (which they stuck in themselves in my opinion). Even when they are loved they can't feel it and if they 'know' they aren't - God help. She is going to be punishing you forever. You can't win a war with them; maybe not even one battle.

Glenna
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest