Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 04:34:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hugely positive step  (Read 340 times)
Echo87

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: February 15, 2017, 06:32:40 PM »

I almost don't even want to mention this, as I'm almost scared it may "jinx" it, but we had a hugely positive step last night in which my BPD partner showed *drumroll please* genuine empathy.

It came at the tail end of yet another massive outburst in regards to the condition of our just-moved-into home and how he does "all the work". I struggle many days with debilitating depression. Just getting out of bed to care for my young children is a chore in itself, let alone keeping up with his high energy to-do list around our new home. Validation wasn't an option, I was at the end of my rope in exhaustion and ready to give up. I told him exactly how I felt, walked away near in tears, figuring the relationship was over at this point. He initiated conversation a half hour later, with a heartfelt apology, genuine concern for my well-being and talked late into the night for once about MY feelings. A first for us.

Dare I wish we may continue on this path of open lines of communication... .
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 08:08:22 AM »

Congratulations! Those rare moments are amazing.

Do you think he responded that way because you stood up for yourself and were honest with him about how you felt?

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Jessica84

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 10:31:25 AM »

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  pwBPD can be amazingly empathetic! It just tends to be short-lived. They struggle to handle their own emotions so much they can hardly handle anyone else's. Still, they can surprise us. I once exploded into tears over a computer virus at a time my bf was suicidally depressed. I was so overwhelmed with my own problem I didn't have it in me to validate his. And I didn't care if he got mad. I was expecting him to add drama to my dilemma, but instead he was warm, sweet, positive, encouraging, offering to help.

They do allow us our 'moments' from time to time. Perhaps it makes them feel less alone to see others suffering? Or maybe it gets them away from their own problems temporarily? Mine has been amazingly comforting at times, but it doesn't last long. He expects me to bounce back quickly to get back to his issues. By the next day, it was all woe is him again. So enjoy the empathy while it lasts!

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest