Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 11:11:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Three years on and thanking our lawyer  (Read 344 times)
PinkieV

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married

« on: March 01, 2017, 03:33:13 PM »

Hi all,

I'm not around much these days, although I try to drop in and support you all here because you helped me so much.

My SS is now almost 17, and while the age for him to have any input in his former home state is 18, he's made the decision to tell his uBPDm that he no longer wants to visit (we live two states away and my husband has full custody). She can't afford a plane ticket, let alone any more custody battling, and he knows it. Plus, it would be really hard to drag his 6'7" butt out of the house and onto a plane without his cooperation. 

SS started counseling the week he moved in with us almost 3.5 years ago. The counselor told us he presented like one of the abused foster children she also counsels. We're coming up on three years since his mom signed the final parenting agreement after she got out of jail. He's happy and thriving and making his own decisions about his future. He has a 4.25 GPA, scored in the top 10% on his PSAT, and has 50+ letters and solicitations from universities. We couldn't have done it without his awesome counselor - and it still took about 2.5 years for him to really let us know everything.

Recently we were marveling about how far he's come, and I suggested my husband email our attorney with an update and thank him again. He received the most heartfelt reply - the attorney said he teared up when he read how well SS17 is doing, and that letters like that encouraged him when he faced especially difficult cases. He has a new one coming up, and said he learned so much from our case that he's done really well since then, adding two more lawyers to his small, independent firm.

I just wanted to let you all know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Will uBPDm keep quiet? Who knows. But SS17 has escaped, and has no plans to go back. He told us she may have stolen his childhood, but she's not getting anything more.
cdizzle

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 05:35:57 PM »

As someone who is at the beginning of this journey, thank you so much for your post and follow-up on the "end" of the journey. It's incredibly helpful to read that things can, and eventually, do get better. My BF and I often talk about how one day we'll look back at this time and laugh and be grateful for how much it's helped us learn and grow as individuals and as a couple -- and I'm hopeful that our increased presence in my SS2's life will help prevent the BPDex from stealing more of his childhood as well. Smiling (click to insert in post) Thanks again.
FamilyLaw

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 05:52:54 PM »

Thank you for letting your attorney know about your happy ending.  I'm a family law attorney, and while I hope I do some good, its hard to know some times.  I can certainly understand your lawyer's response.
PinkieV

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 06:41:48 AM »

Yes Family Law I figured you don't get a lot of updates. Our lawyer is retired Navy, and was early in his private practice when we found him. He is very sharp, but had never encountered the likes of uBPDm. I gave him a lot of helpful information from this site on how to work with her and I am glad he can help other families too!

Cdizzle, my husband and I just shake our heads now at the absolute crazy our life was. It has certainly been a learning process, even into last summer when we were still being manipulated by her, unknowingly through SS16. She would tell him she was going to call to set up visitation as soon as they were done on the phone. We would think "oh, we need to get ahead of this" and make an acceptable plan and email her. That last time, it finally dawned on us that she NEVER called. So we waited. Every time she mentioned it, we just waited. We told SS16 what we were doing and you could see the light bulb go on over his head too. And you know what? He hasn't visited since.  Good luck to you!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest