Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 02:37:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miraculously "better"?  (Read 407 times)
bpdmom99

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: March 14, 2017, 09:16:34 AM »

This may seem small and petty, but I would love your advice. D15 is diagnosed with BPD. She has had numerous hospitalizations in the past year for suicide attempts and other crises. Her dad and I are divorced and she has lived most of the past year with me, by her choice.

Historically with him, she presents as "good" and holds herself together - until she can't. Then she comes back with me, crashes and lets all of her emotion out on me ... .which she is not comfortable doing with dad.

She has always had a rocky relationship with me - I am the one she comes to when she needs help, and I am also the one she comes to when she wants to rage against someone. Prior to her most recent hospitalization she had shut down and would only glare and yell at me at home. It was awful. So her dad and I decided that we needed to support her most recent decision to stay with her dad.

The result? In her dad's words "she is doing great!"  She appears to be getting through school days, having no meltdowns, going out with friends all of the time and has even asked to play soccer again.

I know that everything I have read says to be very wary of sudden changes of improvement with those with BPD. This improvement has been unlike any period we have seen.

So two things- I am concerned about this sudden change to "better" and what an inevitable crash will look like. In the past, I was always the one who noticed that she wasn't doing well and intervened to get her help. Whereas her dad doesn't have that awareness.

My second thing that I am selfishly concerned with is why she can appear to be doing so much "better" when she is not in my care?  I am the one who has always fought to get her the help she needs, who has read up on BPD. I have also done my own therapy and worked hard to put up boundaries to not take the verbal abuse from her. Yet at the end of the day - it appears that the only factor in this positive change in her is that she isn't around me. As much as I can rationalize and understand her illness- especially the splitting and the projection that she exhibits towards me - how can I not take this personally as her mother?  Most days I can distance myself and take this time to take care of myself- but I wish I could truly understand that her only way to improvement is to not be around me.

It hurts my momma heart.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
7babies

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 11:57:39 AM »

I wish I knew the answers to your questions. My dd seemed similar but now she is losing it with her dad around and at the hospital. Hugs to you.
schwing
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married to a non

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 01:06:21 PM »

Hi BPDmom99,

I do not have any experience raising a child with borderline personality disorder (BPD) so take my ideas/feedback with a grain of salt (neither am I a professional in mental health for that matter).  But my understanding of BPD is that their disorder feelings (i.e. imagined abandonment/betrayal/denigration) seem to be triggered (or exacerbated) by feelings of intimacy/closeness/familiarity (like family).

Historically with him, she presents as "good" and holds herself together - until she can't. Then she comes back with me, crashes and lets all of her emotion out on me ... .which she is not comfortable doing with dad.

As you wrote, she is "not comfortable" with dad.  And that distance and unfamiliarity serves as a limit to the disordered feelings she experiences while with him.  It also helps that dad has maintained a physical distance by not having lived with daughter during the last year.  My expectation is that this will change as she spends more time with her father -- and perhaps as she starts (if she starts) to feel more "comfortable" with dad.

She has always had a rocky relationship with me - I am the one she comes to when she needs help, and I am also the one she comes to when she wants to rage against someone.

This may not seem intuitively obvious but she has a rocky relationship with you, in part because she feels more able to come to you when she needs help.  The disordered feelings she experiences makes her more apt to rage against you.

The result? In her dad's words "she is doing great!"  She appears to be getting through school days, having no meltdowns, going out with friends all of the time and has even asked to play soccer again.

I know that everything I have read says to be very wary of sudden changes of improvement with those with BPD. This improvement has been unlike any period we have seen.

My understanding (and my experience with my BPD loved ones) is that if you can keep you distance (i.e. not be too emotionally connected) and maintain a more formal dynamic (as opposed to a familial dynamic) then you are less likely to trigger their disordered feelings.  I'm guessing that if dad can maintain being the distance parent -- more like caregiver or authority figure, then your daughter may experience less of her disordered feelings when it comes to interacting with dad.  All bets are off when it comes to her close peer relationships.

I would expect this to change as she naturally grows more comfortable and feels "at home" in her new environment.  Then I would expect her to slowly act out more.

So two things- I am concerned about this sudden change to "better" and what an inevitable crash will look like. In the past, I was always the one who noticed that she wasn't doing well and intervened to get her help. Whereas her dad doesn't have that awareness.

I wouldn't be concerned about her "change to better";  I would consider it a respite from her usual drama.  The inevitable crash may come slowly or may come suddenly depending on how she is managing (or not managing) the disordered feelings I would expect her to experience as she settles in to her new environment.

My second thing that I am selfishly concerned with is why she can appear to be doing so much "better" when she is not in my care?  I am the one who has always fought to get her the help she needs, who has read up on BPD. I have also done my own therapy and worked hard to put up boundaries to not take the verbal abuse from her. Yet at the end of the day - it appears that the only factor in this positive change in her is that she isn't around me.

I understand that you have made a great deal of effort for her to get help for her disorder.  Keep in mind that for many people with BPD (pwBPD) denial and avoidance seems to be a preferred coping mechanism for their issues.  

The limits/boundaries you put on her behavior is healthy and necessary for the loved ones of pwBPD, but they are bound to make things less comfortable for pwBPD because it forces the pwBPD to face the disorder feelings which also overwhelm them.

I imagine what you are seeing as "positive change" is the equivalent of the "honeymoon period" that many nonBPD experience with their BPD loved ones.

As much as I can rationalize and understand her illness- especially the splitting and the projection that she exhibits towards me - how can I not take this personally as her mother?  

Life doesn't get any more personal than issues that effect family and home.  I don't think you should take her behavior personally because I believe an usual expression of her disorder: "a pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by *alternating* between extremes of idealization and devaluation."  What you are observing is the "idealization" part of her relationship with her father.  It will alternate.

Most days I can distance myself and take this time to take care of myself- but I wish I could truly understand that her only way to improvement is to not be around me.

It hurts my momma heart.

The only way towards a true recovery/improvement from this disorder only happens when the pwBPD takes ownership of their disorder and applies non-destructive/non-avoidance coping mechanisms to manage their own disordered feelings.  All other "apparent" improvement in their behavior may only be another expression of their disorder.

I hope some of what I wrote helps you.

Best wishes,

Schwing

Gorges

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 02:50:36 PM »

This is interesting because I also feel like my daughter is "miraculously better" but she took a different path.  When she left college (literally a month ago) we told her that she had to support herself and live on her own.  She is doing just that.  She is working 2 jobs, 12 hour days, getting up early, eating healthy, exercising and has been lovely to her family.  She and I do yoga together sometimes, and have also gone to church and my son's musical.  Even my son has noticed the change.   One month ago she was in the hospital because she was threatening to hurt herself.  She is not in any kind of therapy now.  I too wonder when the other shoe will drop.  But, for now, I am taking it and enjoying it and letting her know how much I have noticed the change.

I do wonder if you making the statement that your dynamic was not healthy and that she should live with her dad was enough to send a clear message to her.  Who knows what she is thinking (she probably doesn't even know it) but I would send her the messages that you are proud of her progress.  I would invite her to do short things with you and keep it light so you can develop new patterns of behavior.

You have done a lot of work with your daughter and maybe now in a different environment it is paying off.   I hope it continues to go well for her.  It is great that she has friends and hopefully will start soccer again.

bpdmom99

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 08:38:42 PM »

Thank you all for your responses.  It is so validating to hear from others who experience the same things, and to know that we are not alone.  There are some very valuable, practical pieces of advice that I can use.  (In fact - I may print them off and stick them on my bathroom mirror!)

I truly appreciate you taking the time to write back.  Thank you!   
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest