Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 03:33:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: She Made An Attempt  (Read 505 times)
Bright Day Mom

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: April 28, 2017, 11:46:51 AM »

Hi All,

I've been out of the BPD Fam for a bit due to yet another crisis.  This was the absolute worse by far!

My DD17 attempted to take her life, thankfully she did not succeed and I was able to bring her to ER for screening and get the ball rolling on further treatment.

She is now in PHP (partial hospitalization program from 9-2:30 5 days / wk) and will eventually be returning to her alternative / therapeutic HS in probably another weeks time or so.

My question, how do you move on from such an all time low?   I am having difficulty clearing my mind and have been recommended EMDR therapy, which is supposedly very effective for trauma treatment. 

Can anybody relate?  Recommendations?

Bright Day Mom is searching for the Sun:)

Thanks for reading.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Yepanotherone

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 08:13:21 PM »

Oh no Bright day I'm gutted to hear this ! I'm so very very sorry you found yourselves back in crises again , particularly after all you've been through so far and how things were going well for a while there , you must feel crushed  just when you think you might be on the straight and narrow , things come crashing down and back to the harsh reality of this horrible illness . I've been there so often myself as you know , my heart goes out to you and I just want to give you a big hug  
I'm so glad your daughter is okay , I don't have any knowledge about the EMDR therapy , is this for yourself or for your daughter ?

Bright Day Mom

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 11:05:03 AM »

Hi Yep,

Thanks so much for the kind words.  I am keeping my faith that things will be better and He will not give us more than we can handle.
Lollypop

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 02:20:26 PM »

Hi brightdaymom

It's all of our worst nightmare and I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear this news. Out of this crisis she hopefully will move forwards from the realisation of her actions and what she's experienced.

I've heard very good things of EMDR and I know they're using it to treat returning soldiers with PTSD. . In fact I've heard it being used for BPD but I don't know how that works given the emotional dysregulation.

I don't have any recommendations on the return of your daughter from hospitalisation. I can say though that my BPDs26 returned home very depressed following a crisis (he took a load of xanex) while he was in Cali in a downward spiral, no support, no friends not functioning. I got to be the open hearted light as a fairy mum who talked about nothing serious - for weeks. Slowly he warmed as he stabilised. I introduced boundaries and limits as we inched forwards over the months as he progressed.

Have you decided on EMDR?  I'd dearly love to know how it goes. I'm very glad you're seeking support as it must have been very traumatic for you. It takes its toll.

LP

I did my best. He told me I wasn’t good enough. White
7babies

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 05:37:49 AM »

I'm so sorry. It is an awful place to be in. The fear and sorrow are overwhelming. I suspect each person is different but for me and my dd being really honest and discussing it like it was cancer or a need for a transplant, a really serious illness is working. Her dad can't get there emotionally. You are doing the right things, getting her help. Take care of you too. Hufs.
Bright Day Mom

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 01:08:25 PM »

Thanks for reaching out, we are moving forward and praying for the best.

Lots of therapy, possible med changes, whatever it takes to help her along the way.
wendydarling
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 11:08:17 AM »

Hi Bright Day 

You've been in my thoughts and wondering how you are coping and how your DD is?  Did you get any further with EMDR?

WDx 

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
Bright Day Mom

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 08:26:50 AM »

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for the kind thoughts. 

We are progressing very slowly. DD has now dropped down to IOP (intensive outpatient) which runs from 2:30-5:30 3 days / wk.  She started back to her schools program, which is for 2 weeks (similar to Partial Hospitalization) from 8:30-2:30 so lots of therapy.  Once this week is complete, she'll return to her regular high school classes and I pray she is strong enough to cope.  Some of these teen girls are just downright cruel.

As for the EMDR, we are holding off until  her current therapy schedule lightens up.  The dr is tweeking her meds too and I think (knock wood) the anti-anxiety may be helping Smiling (click to insert in post)  Of course DD doesn't admit to it, but she seems less agitated than usual, only time will tell.

I hope things are well on your side of the pond.  You and your fam are in my thoughts too
Lollypop

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 02:03:33 AM »

Hi brightdaymom

Good luck with the forthcoming days. We hold our breath in when our kids step forwards so remember to breathe. I was highly anxious myself yesterday morning and I let myself ride, kept my hands busy.

All of these experiences, while so traumatic and difficult to deal with, do help make us more resilient. It's tough to handle and you're doing a great job. I really admire the way you're going forwards.  Hugs.

LP

I did my best. He told me I wasn’t good enough. White
Bright Day Mom

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 01:14:19 PM »

Thank you LP.  I am definitely holding my breath; she surprised me and returned to her regular school schedule today!  This is ahead of next week's plan of starting on Monday. I am nervous, but proud that she is getting up, brushing herself off and getting back to the "norm" (not that any of this is normal).

D is even planning on attending the prom this weekend!  We'll see how things go, I think the med changes may finally be having a positive impact on her as she seems less anxious / irritable.

And yes, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger!  I truly appreciate your kind words and return hugs... .

BrightDayMom
Loveson

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 03:14:03 PM »

Bright Day, I'm so sorry you've had to go through this.  Nobody understands unless they've been through it. My son threatened again last week, but somehow got through it.  He's 32 and 3000 miles away so my hands are tied.  My heart goes out to you.

I had EMDR myself for trauma during my childhood.  I had also heard great things about it.  Honestly it was traumatic and just brought it all back to the forefront of my mind to the point that I saw bad in everybody for weeks afterwards.  That was just my experience, and I was an adult when I got the treatment - so maybe with a person as young as your daughter it could be healing.  I guess I would take it slow if you do decide to try it.

Hang in there. 
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Gorges

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 07:05:19 PM »

EMDR was recommended to me by a trusted therapist. Unfortunately she retired so I never learned about it.  Hang in there and take care of yourself.  All you can do is really cope. 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest