Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 08:27:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mourning the "loss" of my adult son  (Read 379 times)
lindaz1417

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: April 30, 2017, 12:04:15 PM »

My son hasn't been a responsible adult since being an adult. He was diagnosed with BPD a few years ago, but since being on his own (after we finally could not tolerate what he did at our home), he has cycled into a depressed and emotionally volatile adult whom I cringe at whenever he calls. We support him financially, and finally has an advocate to get disability. It's like being with a 6'5" 2 year old. I relapsed a short time ago and finally changed my interactions with him. However, I still deeply mourn the person I thought he would be. He was suppose to take over his dad's (my ex) company, but they fired him for being arrogant and not doing his job. He cannot keep any job. Is there any wisdom as to how to move past this anguish and look at him as a different person, and not the person I thought he would be?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Mutt
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 03:49:33 PM »

Hi lindaz141,  

Welcome

I'd like to welcome you to the community, I'm glad that you decided to join us.

Is there any wisdom as to how to move past this anguish and look at him as a different person, and not the person I thought he would be?

As I was reading your post, radical acceptance comes to mind. When we wish for things to be one
Radical acceptance comes to mind. When we wish things to be different, an event, a loved one etc... .when they're not, it causes anguish. Your son suffers from social impairments, you described BPD well, a pwBPD ( person with BPD ) are emotionally arrested at the young age of a child, it's like a child in adults body, they can't regulate their emotions or self sooth.  

I'd suggest to read as much as you can about BPD, the behaviors don't make sense but there is fundamental logic to the behavior, it helps with normalizing BPD and depersonalizing the behaviors, it's not personal it's something that your son is going through, although I know how difficult the behaviors can be. Another way to process the grief is by talking about it, tell your story, share with others so you don't feel like you're going through this alone, it's easier when you grieve with others than by yourself. That said.

If you think about something that causes you a lot of pain, it could be an event that happened in the past, a loved open, it can be difficult to accept pain in our lives and often we wish things were different, why did I go through a painful event? Why won't a family member stop behaviors that are hurtful to others and to me, it's accepting that pain, instead of trying to reject it subconsciously, we make a conscious effort to accept that we had a painful event happen in our lives and in the case of your son, accept him wholly, all of it, he is who is, he has social impairments, a disorder where he can't regulate his emotions and lacks impulse control.

Radical Acceptance For Family Members (DBT skill)

I hope that helps.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest