Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 07:46:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 17 yr old Daughter with BPD  (Read 407 times)
AddieS80
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: June 10, 2017, 09:32:43 AM »

Hi... .I am a parent of a 17 year old daughter that was just recently diagnoses with BPD... .It has been a rough couple weeks since the diagnosis... .I do have some reading material that is helping me along the way, but it can be overwhelming... .I feel that maybe I should reach out to other parents to ask questions and get insight on this disorder... .My first question is: Can my child be left alone?... .Anyone with any advice please feel free to respond... Thanks Smiling (click to insert in post)
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
wendydarling
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 11:19:40 AM »

Hello AddieS80 and welcome to bpdfamily 

I'm sorry you've had a rough few weeks and glad you've found us for support. Diagnosis is a tough time and like you I reached out here for support 18 months ago and my deep thirst for knowledge. Many parents are dealing with similar issues to you, it's a great space to share and support each other, you are not alone. 

Is your DD in crisis at this time, you ask if you can leave her alone?

WDx 

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
Bright Day Mom

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 09:21:05 AM »

Hi Addie, I join WD in welcoming you to the Fam.

I too have a DD17 and have probably experienced much of the same as you!  It is a tough one if she can be left alone.  We have been in the mental health crisis for 3 years and to be honest we are taking it day by day.   If I see she is steadily doing well, then I will perhaps run out for an errand or 2.  In terms of leaving her for a long time period, we have not progressed that far along yet.   

I think you  know your child best and can trust your own intuition.  I personally always err on the side of caution. 

BrightDay Mom
Mirsa

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 04:44:32 PM »

Hi, 

My dd is 16 and we have been dealing with mental health issues for 18 months.  It's exhausting.  I trust her zero percent right now.  She lies lies lies.  Most recently she broke into a locked filing cabinet to steal back her phone that I had taken from her... .then she offered her sister to get pills for her that were also locked in there. 

I keep wondering, what is next?  I can't keep her in a closet.  I can't watch her 24-hours a day.  But I can't trust her or her friends (who smoke, drink, lie, manipulate... .).   I'm exhausted. 

Thank God I'm divorced now and only have her every other week.   We can leave her alone for an hour or two, but it always has to be with an unpredictable return, when she's sleeping in the early morning, etc. 

What a roller coaster!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest