Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 10:27:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Support for Using DBT Skills  (Read 409 times)
Belyfan
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: June 10, 2017, 12:31:29 PM »

Hi, New here, I have a daughter who has BPD traits and is currently in treatment after many years of this struggle, she is 21 years old. I am looking for forum where i can share my experiences with others regarding practicing DBT skills. I am in the process of learning and kind of teaching my self some the skills to improve our relationship.I would like a place that I can get feedback on the skills. A place to share our stories about using DBT skills. I am currently reading "Overcoming Borderline personality disorder: A Family Guide for Healing and Change', by Valerie Porr. It is filled with a lot of good information. I am starting to try some of the skills but would like to get some support on what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong. I am beginning with just observing her and being mindful of her and our relationship. I know that she loves me because she told me but I feel that she is pushing me away. I would like to mend our relationship and I have heard that DBT has been very successful. I has evidence based research, which gives me hope.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Yepanotherone

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 03:28:36 PM »

You've come to the right place Smiling (click to insert in post) I too am reading that exact same book ! I've taken a wee break from reading though for the last couple of weeks because I find it can become a bit much and I just need that break to read a normal mind numbing  book ( like 50 shades of grey !   Smiling (click to insert in post) )
One of my biggest takeaways so far from that book is to imagine tears rolling down my DD's face each time she starts to irk and frustrate me , this is to remind myself that she is behaving and saying things In such a way because she's in emotional pain . This helps me feel empathetic again , and cools me down so that I can respond in a more empathetic way

wendydarling
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 07:55:50 AM »

Hi Belyfan   I'd like to join Yep in welcoming you to bpdfamily.

I'm sorry to hear about the years of struggles and glad your daughter is in treatment. We look forward to your posts and questions, we are here to help and support each other and you'll find a wealth of resources.

To the right  Bullet: important point (click to insert in post) are tools and lessons, they are really helpful and many of which my 28DD has discussed with me from time to time, she completes 12 months DBT in July.

In what way is your daughter pushing you away? I found this interesting thread "what does it mean push/pull". https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=99725.0

WDx

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest