Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 04:25:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm afraid my 8 y/o child is being negatively affected upon by his BPD mother  (Read 369 times)
AUTO
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 11, 2017, 04:46:13 PM »

Though I don't always approve or appreciate I can rationalize the behaviors of my BPD partner. I am concerned for our 8 y/o child and how they can manage- Any links to helping the 8 y/o to understand that the behaviors are not a result of them-
Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 06:26:13 PM »

Hi AUTO,

Welcome to the BPD Family   I'm glad you've jumped in and decided to post.  I've pulled some information from over on the co-parenting board that you might find helpful.  You might want to join the members on that board for more discussions on strategies for supporting your son (the board says after the split but it is really for anyone co-parenting with someone with BPD)  To get to the co-parenting board just click on the "BOARDS' tab in the green tool bar above to bring up all the boards.
Then Click on the co-parenting board.

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=182254.msg1331459#msg1331459

Take Care,
Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
takingandsending

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, 15 years; together 18 years

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 02:53:03 PM »

Hi AUTO. I wanted to join Panda and welcome you to the bpdfamily boards.

I have been where you stand, and it is a hard place to be. There is a lot about BPD that I began to learn, because neither my disapproving nor rationalizing (normalizing) my xw's BPD behavior helped her, myself or my children. And you are so right to have concerns for your 8 year old. How is your partner's relationship with your child, in general, and during dysregulation? What outlets of support are there for your child right now - group activities, counseling, extended family?

My S11 was subjected to rages when he triggered his mom by having or displaying strong emotions or upset. Xw's attachment to him was impaired from birth, but it grew worse as he got older. My role ranged from criticizing my xw, pitying her, protecting son, capitulating to xw's views of son to "support" her, to neutral bystander, to advocating for son, removing son(s) and enforcing boundaries. Every day I came home, I never knew what I would encounter, but my goal was always to pacify my children and wife.

Now that I am stepping out of the FOG (fear, obligation, guilt) and am out of the household, I am learning a little better that my primary role is to validate my children's experience and feelings, whatever they may be. That is the normalizing I seek to do now - to let them know with my words and actions that their feelings are okay and healthy, that they are not responsible for their mom's feelings or mine. I wish I had a do over wand, a time turner, but I think the best that you can do is to enforce a non-shaming boundary if you see abusive behavior occurring directed at your child, protect them first, and ask validating questions to help them reach their feelings, normalize whatever it is that they are feeling. These are all the things that the pwBPD never got and why they developed the way they did.

Others here can chime in with more information. Many are a lot further down this road than me, but I really respect and admire you for looking out for your child. Avoid rationalizing. Avoid disapproving. They often make things more volatile. Hang in there and keep posting.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest