Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 08:21:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hi there  (Read 417 times)
motherprof
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: August 07, 2017, 10:40:11 PM »

Hello, I'm a newcomer here. Our daughter is 20, and not firmly diagnosed, but has features of dependent/ avoidant PD along with some possible Borderline. She's been hospitalized for anorexia twice. Started college, a perfectionists, works like a maniac, stellar student, socially isolated.  Having a hard summer, regressing.

What I'd like to talk about to begin with is parental roles in relation to daughter.  We have alot of splitting going on here: It seems that when she is doing poorly she goes to dad, who is very invested in being understanding, possibly to excess, and when she is feeling stronger, she comes to me and denigrates dad. The marriage has suffered. I'd like to hear about different dynamics married people take in relation to young adult with issues and how this affects marriage.
Thanks for reading.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
dubiousraves

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 11:51:54 AM »

My 20 year daughter with BPD also does alot of splitting. This is made harder because my husband and I have never had a strong marriage and have considered divorce but do not want to create any new stress for our BPDD. The only thing that has helped is to have a plan of action or response for anything you think might come up so that you are both consistent. You and your husband will have to compromise and agree on the plan. My husband and I needed a therapist to do this and we still don't always get it right but we try.

Hang in there and baby steps.

Gorges

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 06:15:22 PM »

Yes, my husband and I have gone through a lot of marital stress and contemplated divorce.  We had struggled for several years and worked with different therapists.  We finally found one who we both clicked with.  She helped us negotiate a contract for our daughter.  For every action we negotiated a consequence.  I also did a lot of contemplating my own bottom line which was after 18 if she was abusive she was not allowed to live with us.  I was willing to divorce over that issue so that my son and I could have a safe space.   This message board was extremely supportive during this time period. 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest