Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 06, 2024, 01:58:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: His rants are on very strong beliefs and making them very clear.  (Read 595 times)
Frankee

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« on: November 29, 2017, 12:00:53 PM »

I had a general Q and A.  I was out on a car ride with my H yesterday.  Somehow we got on topics that enraged him.  I tried to divert several times (discreetly) but he turned it back on the subjects that he needed to vent about.  He wasn't attacking me or verbal abusing, but just ranting and raving.  I listened mostly.  Acknowledged that I was paying attention, spoke up when I felt I could input my thoughts and not keep the ranting going.  I know people have topics that irritate them, but I felt that I should just let him get everything off his chest and not try to argue any points.  His rants were on very strong beliefs and made them very clear.

I don't know quite how to feel about it.  It feels like I am the only one that he can rant and rave to about things, but it only feels like a one way street.  I don't feel comfortable enough to reciprocate in such a manner.  I feel he wouldn't hesitate to tell me my views were wrong if he disagreed and if the topic I was talking about seem stupid to him, he would be sure to tell me.

Does anyone else have this dilemma?  :)oes anyone else feel this is the probably the only safe place to rant about things and not worry about repercussions?

“Nothing in the universe can stop you from letting go and starting over.” — Guy Finley.
Lucky Jim

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 02:39:43 PM »

Hey Frankee, I'm sure many have faced this dilemma.  I did many times with my BPDxW.  Yes, it's a one-way street, like a so-called Russian negotiation.  In my view, it is a question of Boundaries.  How much is too much for you?  Let's say you put your own personal limit on how long you are willing to listen to him ranting & raving, e.g., I will listen for 5 or 10 minutes, no more, after which I will leave the room, leave the car, leave the house, etc.  Agree w/you that there is no point in arguing with your H.  Instead, I suggest you state your boundary and then carry it out.

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
AskingWhy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 12:11:28 AM »

Hey Frankee, I'm sure many have faced this dilemma.  I did many times with my BPDxW.  Yes, it's a one-way street, like a so-called Russian negotiation.  In my view, it is a question of Boundaries.  How much is too much for you?  Let's say you put your own personal limit on how long you are willing to listen to him ranting & raving, e.g., I will listen for 5 or 10 minutes, no more, after which I will leave the room, leave the car, leave the house, etc.  Agree w/you that there is no point in arguing with your H.  Instead, I suggest you state your boundary and then carry it out.

LuckyJim

Lucky Jim, this is a great response.

Frankee, I know well the dynamics of having a uBPD/uNPD H.  If it's just venting and not directed AT me, I can be a good listener. People need to vent and usually do with a spouse.  It can be about the work day, the children, a bad encounter at a retail store, etc.

But allowing TOO much venting can be stressful.

I agree that boundaries are important.  Listen and be empathetic, but at a point (your boundaries) you can gently say move to another topic.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 08:41:18 AM »

Regarding venting, I grew up with a BPD mom and what I remember at dinnertime was every f*n night she vented in great detail about her work life. She held a few different jobs over the years and did secretarial work so I imagine there were real issues that she dealt with on a day to day basis.

But every night I heard her monologue about how bad all the people she worked with were and how she did the lion's share of work while everyone else was a no good so and so.

Not a great way for a kid to grow up.

My husband vents a lot about health care providers. It's almost like clockwork. No matter who he sees, there's some problem. I've referred him to at least half a dozen people that I've had great experiences with, but for him, it's always awful for a variety of reasons.

Fortunately he doesn't go on and on. That's really wearisome. So, like other have said, I'd limit the time you spend listening. I might not share with him that I'm doing that however. If I were to tell my husband that he has five minutes to gripe, he'd really blow a gasket.

Instead, I say, "I've got to go medicate the cat." or "I need to put the clothes in the dryer." or ":)o you want to help me clean out the drainage ditches?" The last one will certainly get me time alone.   Smiling (click to insert in post)

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Frankee

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 12:18:52 PM »

Those are good ideas.  If his extreme venting doesn't happen very often, maybe once a month, should I still set boundaries?  Most of the time when he's ranting and raving it's directed at me or I'm the target for his rage.  It's actually a little better when it's not me that is the target, but I'm just there listening.  It's also impossible to make an excuse or do something else when we're in the car driving.  I'm not worried that he'll crash or anything, but it limits my ability to remove from listening.

I'm also noticing that the stress is affecting my patience greatly at home.  I feel really bad when I snap because it's not my kids fault, but the lack of sleep, stress, and not having a proper outlet for my own irritation and ranting is affecting me.  I'm a little worried about how this is taking a toll.

“Nothing in the universe can stop you from letting go and starting over.” — Guy Finley.
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 02:25:36 PM »

Yes... .you should use boundaries... .

However, the less often it happens, the more flexibility you should have in how quickly you use a boundary or what part you play in a solution.

If you are saying once a month there is a 5 min vent... .even 10... .and you ask if he would like a hug, he says yes... .you hug and enjoy a nice walk.  Then... .no boundaries... .just file it away and move along.

I don't think that's what we are talking about... .is it? 

Can I offer an analogy? 

It's much easier to understand that you shouldn't be part of allowing people to "emotionally vomit" on you (vent at you... rant at you).

I can see how it is a relief to step aside and "just listen".  And sometimes that happens and it's ok.  We all get an upset "tummy" from time to time and you know what... .who really wants to clean up after you just went for the toilet and missed. 

There is an act of love there (for real vomit and for the emotional analogy). 

However... .if you had an upset tummy several times a week and blamed another person for it (while you ate food that clearly causes vomit)... .and refused to listen... .refused to go to the doctor... etc etc,  the "act of love" to help someone clean up can quickly become enabling and actually harmful to the relationship and to the person.

What we can do here is help you sort through the wisdom of the "role" that you play.

How long does the venting go on?  Is it same subject?  How often?  Does the issue get solved... .or keep coming back?

Any other details you can offer?

Hope my analogy worked?  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

FF

Lucky Jim

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 03:36:04 PM »

Excerpt
I'm also noticing that the stress is affecting my patience greatly at home.  I feel really bad when I snap because it's not my kids fault, but the lack of sleep, stress, and not having a proper outlet for my own irritation and ranting is affecting me.  I'm a little worried about how this is taking a toll.

Agree, Frankee.  It wears you down and detracts from one's ability to be fully present in other situations, particularly those that require patience, such as with your kids.  I suggest taking steps to take care of yourself better.  What helps to recharge your batteries?  Are you setting aside time just for yourself?  Do you get together w/close friends and family members to share what you are going through?

I didn't do any of those things and ended up with nothing left in the tank, so-to-speak, at which point I was no help to anyone, particularly my kids.  Crash landing is not fun, believe me, so do what you need to do to refuel and keep on track.

LuckyJim

P.S.  Agree w/FF: yes, you still need boundaries!

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Frankee

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 02:16:08 PM »

In the time I posted this to today, it's like a complete turn around.  I made another post asking for help... again.  It was really bad today.  Like, so bad that I'm still not even sure how to recover from it.  I apologized and got an extremely nasty reply text... which I was expecting, but this was more than expected.

About the venting.  It's usually the same topics.  It's nothing I can change however.  It's problems with the world and society.  I do agree with a lot he gets upset about, because I do too.  I can't change it though and I mean that in a way that it is things that is wrong in society that even the president is having a very hard time to change.  I divert my eyes and ears when it's too much and I need to focus on my little world.  So when I don't get as upset, he gets upset because he feels I'm just like everyone else and ignoring the problem.  The incidents happen very few and afar.  The only problem is, it seems to have a lingering negative affect on his demeanor.  This rant happened on Tuesday and today he just came completely unglued.  Found out he screamed at his brother for thinking he was lying when he didn't.

Today I accept my part in what happened.  I know what I should of done differently.  It was just a bad situation.  We were both mad, I was tired from the bike ride home, we weren't thinking straight.  Now I'm trying to figure out what to do from here.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 05:35:12 PM »

I know what I should of done differently.  It was just a bad situation.  

Can you expand on this... .in detail.

Pretty good chance something like this will come up again.  I'm hoping you will have a plan for a different approach, next time the venting starts.

FF

Frankee

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 05:48:46 PM »

Honestly, I would have liked to go back to venting.  I'm dealing with a whole different issue.  Saying need help, messed up pretty bad.  He's become totally deregulated and saying some very hurtful things and basically saying that I'm his bit** now.  Things are about to get hairy and I need to strap on my big girl shoes.  It's about to be a very stressful time.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 06:23:32 PM »

OK... I like the analogy of big girl shoes... .  Keep going with it.  What happens next time he starts talking that way and you put your big girl shoes on... ?

FF

Frankee

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 07:15:13 PM »

Honestly I'm feeling like in an emotional hurricane.  I seem to find clarity after a situation and have had time to think and process it.  My reactions in the heat of the moment are something I need to work on.  I keep telling myself that I don't deserve this, I am not responsible for how behavior, I am not the cause of him acting this way, and I am not a possession or some trained dog to "fetch".

The more I told myself this, the more I became angry, hurt, and really wanting to reciprocate with how he was treating me, extremely poorly.

I know that's not a good idea.  All it does is cause unnecessary stress on myself, affects my own state of mind, and perpetuates the toxicity of the relationship.  Need to work on the extinction burst.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 05:42:29 AM »

and really wanting to reciprocate with how he was treating me, extremely poorly.

You have a good thread going with Baby Ducks and others.

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=317827.0;all

The only thing I will add from over here is to keep the concept going of "putting on your big girl shoes".

Use those shoes to take your ears to a place where you don't hear abuse. 

I'm glad you have the self awareness that you want to reciprocate (please don't "fight back".  That feeds the dysfunction.

It's not going to seem fair... .it's not fair... .but it will pay off in the long run.

FF

Frankee

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 08:12:23 AM »

Use those shoes to take your ears to a place where you don't hear abuse. 

I'm glad you have the self awareness that you want to reciprocate (please don't "fight back".  That feeds the dysfunction.

It's not going to seem fair... .it's not fair... .but it will pay off in the long run.
I'm not an angry person.  I miss the times where I would laugh so hard my stomach would hurt.  I miss the times where I didn't have to fake being happy for my kids sake.  I miss being genuinely in awe of the beauty around me.  I live on the beach.  A place where people come to get away from stresses of life.  I'm upset that I am struggling to enjoy my life when I know I'm blessed in so many ways.  It's like I'm battling this giant vacuum that is sucking all the joy out of me when I desperately want to just be happy.

I just know that I can't keep doing this.  Being scared of speaking up, worried about being "punised" for things he perceives as doing wrong, wondering if his attitude is going to cause a lash out on me.  This isn't healthy.  I honestly don't know if he does love me really or just loves the idea of what he has in his head that he thinks is me. 

I'm fighting so hard to keep my sanity in check so I don't lose it on my children and other innocent non involved people.  Honestly, as much as his brothers irritate me sometimes... I think they are part of the reasons I feel any sort of normalcy.  They are regular, normal people without wacked out issues.  I can ignore the troubles I'm having with my H and pretend to have a normal life.  They see his behavior.  They've been targets themselves of his rage and accusations.  They know that what he does at times isn't right.  one of them even said he sees how much my H puts on me and takes things out on me.  We talk about it sometimes, but most of the time I just want to be normal for awhile.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 08:55:30 AM »

I relate to everything you are saying.  I wish I had longer to post.

The most important thing I have learned over the past few years is BOUNDARIES are for you and your sanity... .to help "take back your life".

They have nothing at all to do with making the other person happier... .although given time, this will be a likely result.  Lots of time.

I encourage you to CONSISTENTLY start using boundaries to "remove yourself" from abusive and/or unpleasant situations.  We can help you sort through that here.

Why?  Your body and mind are appropriately responding to a bunch of toxic stuff "getting in there".  Many of us nons respond to this by trying to "convince" the person dumping the toxic stuff in there... .to please stop. 

How has that approach worked out so far?

There is a big mind shift that likely needs to happen for you, so that you start thinking about YOURSELF more and your hubby less.  After all... .what has all of the thought and energy you have put into him resulted in?

So... boundaries are number 1 for me... .by a long shot.  A clear number 2 is to stop pretending... to be authentic.

That can be tough to do and to do it in a healthy way.  Telling a disordered person to "eff off" is not being authentic... .that's not wise.  There are much more direct and effective ways.

How does all of this sound to you?

FF

Lucky Jim

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 10:16:41 AM »

Excerpt
I just know that I can't keep doing this.  Being scared of speaking up, worried about being "punised" for things he perceives as doing wrong, wondering if his attitude is going to cause a lash out on me.  This isn't healthy.  I honestly don't know if he does love me really or just loves the idea of what he has in his head that he thinks is me.

Hey Frankee, No, you can't keep going on like this and, you're right, it isn't healthy.  I used to dread going home after work because I anticipated having a confrontation about some minor event/offense which my Ex deemed worthy of lashing out at me.  It was a nightmare, like living in a Stephen King novel.

The place to start, I suggest, is with yourself, by focusing on your needs, and by taking good care of yourself, in a compassionate way.  Do you have a T or close friend or family member with whom you can discuss your situation?  I'm not an angry person, either, but my Ex used to taunt and bait me until she got an angry reaction, so then she could point the finger at me.  It's an exhausting cycle and I can relate to your challenges.

Hang in there,
LJ

George Bernard Shaw
Frankee

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 11:38:07 AM »

I encourage you to CONSISTENTLY start using boundaries to "remove yourself" from abusive and/or unpleasant situations.  We can help you sort through that here.

Many of us nons respond to this by trying to "convince" the person dumping the toxic stuff in there... .to please stop. 

There is a big mind shift that likely needs to happen for you, so that you start thinking about YOURSELF more and your hubby less.  After all... .what has all of the thought and energy you have put into him resulted in?

So... boundaries are number 1 for me... .by a long shot.  A clear number 2 is to stop pretending... to be authentic.
I will admit, I am guilty of being codependent.  It's hard to be happy when the person I am living with is miserable and being a straight up jerk to me.

He's blaming his nasty behavior on me.  Saying I caused it, it is all my fault, he warned me this would happen if I kept lying.  He's punishing me in a way he sees fit and that I'll "learn".

I went to pick up the baby and I didn't say a word, but the way I moved caused him to accuse me of having an attitude, he knows what I am doing, and that he warned me this would happen if I kept lying.

This is affecting my attitude towards my children, it's crippling my capacity for patience.  Everything I use to be isn't here.  I feel angry, resentful, hurt, trying hard not okay victim.

Now is the time I have to start working on boundaries.  It is apparent to me that at this point, he isn't going to change his behavior or his current attitude by me attempting to "work it out" or talk to him.  He's found me guilty and he's set in his mind that this is what I get.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 01:48:19 PM »

This is affecting my attitude towards my children, it's crippling my capacity for patience. 

What do you think of this quote? 

Do you remember how you felt when you wrote this?

FF

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest