Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 21, 2024, 03:31:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's time to leave, but I can't yet  (Read 1083 times)
livednlearned
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 10:08:06 AM »

Do you anticipate your partner making it hard for the kids to get or stay in therapy?

Breathe.
mama-wolf

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2018, 09:49:37 AM »

Do you anticipate your partner making it hard for the kids to get or stay in therapy?

uBPDw had been insisting for some time that D9 has “serious issues” due to anxiety (mostly related to school performance, emotional responses, frequent anger, and not wanting much to do with uBPDw. Although D9 has been in therapy for a few months already, uBPDw has been asking lately to have her generally evaluated by a psychologist or psychiatrist (most recently expressing that she suspects D9 suffers from DMDD).

I personally believe that uBPDw is inclined to see issues in D9 and potentially medicate her based on her own mental illness and use of medications.  I think the majority of D9’s issues are caused by that relationship dynamic with uBPDw, and D9’s therapist agrees enough to have recommended separate family therapy.  D9 had been adamantly opposed to the idea at first but seems to be opening up to the possibility.

So yes, therapy in general will be key, but the nature of that therapy may be in question.  I am very opposed to the idea of medicating D9 anytime soon... .

formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2018, 10:00:02 AM »

and D9’s therapist agrees enough to have recommended separate family therapy.  

Take this and circle back to your thoughts/plans on temp orders. 

Also think about timing in a "strategic" way, vice a "tactical" way.

I would suggest that you wait to file any kind of divorce action, until you get D9 in the therapy situation that you  believe is best.  Then... .write the temp orders to "maintain" and build upon (based on professional recommendations) existing therapy, vice trying to start something new.

Courts generally tend to like therapy and generally tend to resist stopping or changing a situation that seems to be benefiting a child.  So, if you get D9 in the situation and D9 seems to like it and the T is saying there is progress... .I believe a court would want to continue that momentum, even if your stbex was alleging and claiming different things.

So... .you seem to want to delay medication.  What happens if you file next month and stbex claims D9 needs to be medicated and you claim no... .and stbex comes up with an expert or T to back her up.  My opinion is that court would likely "be conservative" and  back up medication as a pathway.

In that situation you would be "resisting" the court and the general momentum of the court case.  Not where you want to be

Be strategic... .set yourself up for success... .or at least best chances of success.

Thoughts?

FF

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2018, 10:31:08 AM »

Although D9 has been in therapy for a few months already, uBPDw has been asking lately to have her generally evaluated by a psychologist or psychiatrist (most recently expressing that she suspects D9 suffers from DMDD).

I understand your hesitation to see this as all positive. uBPDw is open to therapy for D9, but may also project things onto D9, and perhaps rush her toward medication.

There are people, both with and without BPD, who might be inclined to medicalize stuff that could be rooted in family dynamics.

Trying to tease out the correct diagnosis during pre-teens can be really tricky. My son went through 7 different diagnoses before receiving  one that finally makes sense. Not that the earlier ones didn't apply, only that there was one in particular that kind of explained all the others.

You have a moving target because D9 is so young, and it's hard to know how your partner will respond to decision-making if she royally dysregulates during and after the divorce. Meanwhile, D9's care would be compromised.

Sometimes parenting orders focus on short-term things, as well as long term. I had a similar dynamic to yours and a big chunk of our temporary order was focused on then S9's psychoeducational evaluation and subsequent ADHD/ADD dx.

You could use the temp order process to do a trial run and see how uBPDw handles the shared decision-making. If it goes sideways in a big way, and you can document that, then the permanent order is where you would say Hey, wait a sec, this is what has to happen so that D9s care is handled properly.

That's roughly what happened in my case, except my ex was much more high conflict than it sounds like your wife is.

We basically made an attempt to perform joint decision-making on the court's clock, and I was able to demonstrate that ex was more focused on obstructing simple decisions than getting S9 the evaluations and care that he needed.

Whatever you do, have a plan for what you'll do if you end up in obstruction alley 

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest