Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 02:38:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In 2019 - ALIMONY tax responsibilities reverse  (Read 390 times)
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« on: May 10, 2018, 03:02:24 PM »

I had heard references to a change in alimony tax liability, I've just looked it up.  Divorces after 2018 (I believe the key event is to "final decrees" or when the divorce is final) will be treated similar to child support where the payer also has the tax liability.  This is a reversal of existing laws in the USA.  This is on Kiplinger:

Excerpt
Under the New Tax Law, Is My Alimony Tax-Free?

For divorces after December 31, 2018, alimony payments are no longer deductible nor must the recipient declare the amount as taxable income.

The new policy goes into effect in 2019. Older divorces can be modified to follow the new rules—if both parties agree.

Essentially, alimony and child support will henceforth have the same behaviors, the payer can't deduct it anymore starting with divorces completed next year.  This is a huge change to us here.  Our divorces often drain our financial resources and reserves.  Having the generally lower-income recipient pay the tax liability reduced what was due in taxes and so the loser was generally the government who got less tax or none.  I figure that's why that alimony perk is ending, the tax man wants his money.  Not to worry, those with alimony already in force are grandfathered in to the prior policy.

I believe this will impact our strategies in divorce negotiations.  No longer will alimony be a way to negotiate an agreement to pay less child support in order to lessen the tax burden.

In the past, as in my case for example, we agreed to alimony rather than child support for the first 3 years post-divorce.  It reduced my tax liabilities and since my ex was earning next to nothing in those years she didn't get dinged on taxes either.  However, my lawyer warned me that at any time she could still ask for CS.  To address that risk, our settlement included a clause that if she sought CS during the span of alimony then the alimony would be reassessed lower.  Fortunately she didn't seek CS until alimony ended.

I looked at IRS Topic 452 for Alimony and it is not updated for the recent tax law change.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 09:45:39 PM »

I had heard this was coming.  They picked and chose things in the new tax law so the CBO would score it more balanced.  One would think that with a government that deficit spends intro oblivion despite record tax revenues, it wouldn't matter.  Thanks for bringing this up.  

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest