Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 11:20:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I just an object to my uBPD wife?  (Read 691 times)
random376

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 23, 2018, 05:05:25 PM »

To her, I am just something that makes her feel good or makes her feel bad. When I make her feel good, she sees me as a person who deserves consideration and respect. When I make her feel bad, I am not a person, only something she has to destroy for her own gain.

Am I wrong?
pearlsw

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

"Be kind whenever possible, it is always possible"

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 09:39:34 PM »

Hi random376,

In my case I guess I've seen it another way. I have emotions, he has emotions, his are just much stronger. But I hear ya, it is hard to interact with someone who has extreme emotions. We are able to talk openly about him being "emotionally sensitive". At the worst of times I have indeed felt dehumanized.

How do you feel being with her? How do you relate to her black and white thinking about you?

with compassion, pearl.

Walk on a rainbow trail, walk on a trail of song, and all about you will be beauty. There is a way out of every dark mist, over a rainbow trail. - Navajo Song
MrRight

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 01:07:35 AM »

To her, I am just something that makes her feel good or makes her feel bad. When I make her feel good, she sees me as a person who deserves consideration and respect. When I make her feel bad, I am not a person, only something she has to destroy for her own gain.

Am I wrong?

This is how it seems.

She uses me to regulate her inner world. When she feels bad - I have to make her feel good. If she doesnt feel good - it's my job to boost her mood and give her happiness.

As for my needs - they come second or dont exist.

Yes - it does seem like I'm an object - a thing of use - to my uBPD wife.
babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 08:25:11 AM »

hi random376,

objectification is a very real component of most of the mental illnesses that appear on the B Cluster.    People without these illnesses do it too but normally not to the same degree or level of intensity.

this is from a very very old post here on this web site.  I think the author put it very well so I copied her reply.

A big task in my continuing recovery from BPD has been to realise my tendency to objectify other people in my life. What does this mean? …... .So if someone with BPD is driven by a deep and intense need to be loved while at the same time fearing the object of that love will go away or will hurt him/her, then it's easy to see that s/he will tend to view another AS an object, if that makes any sense... .In the same way as a person with NPD uses others as ego-gratifying objects that feed their "narcissistic supply", a person with BPD uses others as an outside means to comfort themselves and to perhaps even give themselves worth, which they believe they lack.

so yes I would have to say you have identified a very real trait of the disorder.   Can I ask,  have you found time to look through some of the workshops and lessons here?   they can help you identify other traits, and what they really represent.   the box on the right hand side of the screen is a good jumping off point.    Bullet: important point (click to insert in post)

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 09:34:53 AM »

Am I wrong?

I can certainly identify with how you feel.

I would encourage you to realize that it's likely not "a plot" or "something she is thinking through" but the result of the intense feelings that she feels and the rapid swings in those feelings.

It is likely that viewing it in such a way might... .just might... .help you "stop the bleeding" from this type of behavior.

What do you think?

FF

BurntOutFromBPD

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 07:42:16 PM »

Am I wrong?

I can 100% relate at this moment in my life. Sometimes the switch can happen in minutes, and can last for days or weeks. I don't feel human anymore either, and feel like I deserve punishment sometimes.
Does the things you do which she sees as making her feel bad have any validity? I mean does she lash out when feeling threatened/attacked or does it come out of the blue from your side?

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest