Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 02:04:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to reverse a breakup that I initiated (part 2).  (Read 871 times)
Skip
Site Director

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2018, 03:04:42 PM »

So, if I understand you, you are thinking that the breakup surfaced the fact that
   ~ you understood that she wanted a committed relationship and you accepted that (and you then felt she wasn't living up to it and were upset)
~ she realized that she communicated a higher level of commitment than she was now comfortable with.

Do I have that right?

I think this would fall under a "disconnect on how to move forward". In other words, however it came to be (communication error, change of heart, reaction to your reaction), you two had different expectations of the relationship/each other at this point in time.

Good. You know for sure that something changed around the beginning of her last 30 days. This, or some more detailed version of this, is likely.

Basically: our US thing is over. Let's see what we have in Chengdu.

This idea is a little more difficult for me to wrap my mind around. Aren't the most significant future indicators right now (after the your date tonight)
~the going away party
~communications in China before she returns for three weeks
~what happens when she returns for three weeks.

How do you best handle these topics at dinner tonight regarding the above? What information do you need? How do you get it (what do you say through an interpreter) without being needy or pushing?  That would seem hard.

Is the best thing to have a good time. See if she invites you. If not, write her a letter when she is in China and gauge things on that response?

What are you thinking?

1stTimer

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2018, 03:17:59 PM »

老外 LaoWai (old foreigner) --polite for foreigner 鬼佬 GuiLao (foreign devil) --impolite for foreigner... .

GaiJin is Japanese... .They don't particularly like the Japanese... .Something about NanJing if I remember correctly... . 

Laundry beckons... . 

Wicker Man
Phew thanks I should have known that (Gaijin) I only read the Clavell Series like ten times. Yeah I know well enough to mention nothing Japanese. Thanks for the tips!
1stTimer

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2018, 03:21:22 PM »

When is the mom dinner, 1stTimer?  Tonight?
Tonight. 2 1/2 hours. Already have the S'auceome (my version of italian meat sauce and so named by friends) made, showering and then garlic bread and mixed salad prep after. 3 Bottles of wine and sure they will bring some so hopefully this goes from awkward to not so awkward fast. My gfs have always loved my mother and vice-versa. She is quite nervous and she has NEVER seen me like this about a woman I've introduced her to before (she never to meet my San Fran love). Near puking nervous, damn.

One thing I'm going to do tonight I didn't on Translate Night is step back outside of my self and watch/listen much more closely. Was way to vested that night and nervous she hated me by then and then got thrown off when she was so happy to see me. I feel like a 17 yo
Insom

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2018, 03:31:30 PM »

OK.  You've gotten some great feedback from Skip and Wicker Man these past two days.  Do what you can to center yourself emotionally before she arrives.  I'll be interested to hear how things go.

1stTimer

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2018, 03:35:57 PM »

Excerpt
So, if I understand you, you are thinking that the breakup surfaced the fact that
   ~ you understood that she wanted a committed relationship and you accepted that (and you then felt she wasn't living up to it and were upset)
~ she realized that she communicated a higher level of commitment than she was now comfortable with.

Do I have that right?

I'm not sure. I think she knew I understood. I think she knew I was in. I think she was comfortable with where we were. I think yes spelling it out suddenly made it real that is all. I think she was already worried about getting to close as I said and then pulled back and I pushed when I should have not so she pulled back more. I think the fact the event she actually did make was the "coming out" dinner was very telling (about 5 days after her first weekend of what I saw as pull back) as it wasn't just a casual dinner it was an intro to her close married friends and a presentation of me to them and them making it clear to me this was serious. I dunno what happened after that. In other words, the one event she did make sure we had together 12 days after the 'so happy to have a month together' was a serious one.

Excerpt
I think this would fall under a "disconnect on how to move forward". In other words, however it came to be (communication error, change of heart, reaction to your reaction), you two had different expectations of the relationship/each other at this point in time.

Again sounds ok but I don't know. A lot could have happened at that dinner (elder feedback, etc). It was two days later where the dinner that became a lunch that flipped me around happened. Again, should have just taken the lunch as meaningful not the cancellation.

Her excitement was a big deal, her arranging that intro dinner was a big deal. So should have kept eyes on the larger picture not the smaller.

Excerpt
This idea is a little more difficult for me to wrap my mind around. Aren't the most significant future indicators right now (after the your date tonight)
~the going away party
~communications in China before she returns for three weeks
~what happens when she returns for three weeks.
How do you best handle these topics at dinner tonight regarding the above? What information do you need? How do you get it (what do you say through an interpreter) without being needy or pushing?  That would seem hard.
They seem almost secondary. I don't have any idea where we stand other than Sunday's 'yes you are special can she let you know if she wants to continue long distance but she does want you to come be with her'. I guess I can use that for jumping off point but until I get a measure on what is going on I can't really broach it. If things seem nice and easy I think broaching communucation and three weeks is easier. I can say a good friend had a great idea for us to communicate and learn more about each other that is better than text. I can ask casually since she invited already by Shen Yu. Going away party? I think I'll let her chew on the dinner for a day or so and reach out or not.

Excerpt
Is the best thing to have a good time. See if she invites you. If not, write her a letter when she is in China and gauge things on that response?

What are you thinking?

trying to quiet the thinking really :| Yes, first step is eveyrone relaxes and we have a good time. Let the ladies talk amongs themselves and see what that involves. If there is some natural way to work in communication, Shen Yu January or even going away party I will. But I sorta think I'm letting her take the lead. She wanted to meet my mother and see where I live. Let her do so and figure it out. I know I know I'm the guy and should lead her but I think I'm on very shaky ground and I'm just going to I think give her space to experience me again like she did before, to see me in my element, and to decide if she wants to make an overture or 'walk through the door' I opened. That is my current thinking

[/quote]
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2018, 03:45:39 PM »

Sounds reasonable.

1stTimer

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2018, 04:11:29 PM »

Let me say too on going away party; doubtful. I know a lot of her friends lovvvved me (younger ones especially) but I'm pretty sure there was some disapproval from the latest round so I don't think she'd risk offending anyone by having me there. I was 50/50 on whether her friend who translated for me at the last party approved or not. We talked quite a bit and he already knew a great deal about me. He did say to me at the end of the night "It is very hard for Chinese-American couples when they have a language barrier. That said I know 2 or 3 of them that are quite quite happy."  So clearly I was being introduced as either couple or potential couple (thus her animated discussion of us all night). But again I did sense a little frosty from one or two of the older women. So I'm going to say no GAP.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest