Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 23, 2024, 06:43:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daughter diagnosed with borderline, inpatient therapy recommendations please  (Read 347 times)
Momslove

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: November 06, 2018, 05:08:10 PM »

My daughter was  presumed borderline at age 13, but therapist said that was too young to diagnose.  She warned me then that she would be in and out of my life and it wouldn’t be easy.  Through a lot of hard ache and hard times, I hope she has hit rock bottom. She was omitted to the phychiatric hopsital at 18 for being suicidal and then omitted again 6 weeks later for attempted suicide and received a dui for taking 3. Bottles of pills on the way home. It was raining, she got in an accident and freaked out and called me.
She has a good internship and was doing well and then went down hill very quickly. We thought she  was doing meth because of all the picking on her face and arms(self harm)
It wasn’t meth, just borderline self harm.
She know she needs help, but she can’t see what’s wrong. She blames everyone for her terrible child hood. Her father is much like her and doesn’t speak to her. He is my x.
Anyway... .I need to find treatment facility that will take her insurance in network for residential treatment. I want to get her help here in Georgia at sky land, but they only take her insurance for outpatient. I am willing to fly her anywhere that is good for inpatient.
Thank you for your suggestions.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Merlot

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 05:55:43 PM »

Hi momslove
Welcome to the bpdfamily  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

Im really sorry for what you are going through. It is terrible confronting to have our child threatening suicide and I can really hear how difficult this is for you.

You mention that you have a therapist. Have they been able to give you some clear direction in regards to inpatient centres? I am in Australia so maybe other parents from the US will chime in here.

I do know from reading "I Hate You, Dont Leave Me" that treatment options for BPD are many and varied and no one size fits all. In fact the treatment journey may take many twists and turns.

I encourage you to learn as much as you can anout BPD. Parents here have great insight and there is much to learn on the board to the right  Bullet: important point (click to insert in post)

You mention your x. Do you have other support around you?
Take care momslove, we are here with you.

Merlot

Hyacinth Bucket

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 08:25:33 PM »

Hi Momslove,

I don't have specific suggestions except to look for one that specializes in bps and uses dialectical behavioral therapy.

You might try calling your insurance and see if they can give you a list of in network providers.

One thing to expect is that a lot of insurance plans won't pay for the full length of the recommended treatment so have a plan in place if she is only able to stay a month, such as maybe a step down to an intensive outpatient or something like that.
Meredith0711

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 07:54:31 AM »

Hi Momslove,

My daughter was treated at The Meninger Clinic in Houston. She was an adolescent at the time. They provide both adolescent and adult  inpatient treatment programs. I was happy with their program and services. Very thorough and provided detailed options after discharge.

They do have a website.

Take care. Keep us posted!
JustYouWait

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 01:55:34 PM »

My 18/19 year old spent time at Angelus House (Wellspring) in Connecticut.

It literally saved her life.  I can't say enough about the place.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest