Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 10:24:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 17yo Stepdaughter. BPD or teenage rebellion?  (Read 427 times)
WorriedStep
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: January 16, 2019, 12:56:42 PM »

Lots of problems with my stepdaughter (17 - lives with us full time) lately. Drug use, self-harm. The biggest and most pervasive issue for as long as I've known her (since age 8) has been lying/deceit.

She talks a good game--for instance on Sunday we had a long, heart to heart talk that she initiated about how she wants to improve our relationship. Then on Monday she left school during lunch (not allowed to do that) and was contacted by the sheriff - hasn't come clean to us about any of that.

She doesn't seem to have any kind of conscience.

It has been suggested that she is BPD. How do we know if it is or if it is simply teenage rebellion?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 02:36:19 PM »

Hi and welcome to the board though I am sorry for what brings you here.  It is good that you re reaching out for help and support here.  

Who suggested she has BPD?  Has she ever been in therapy or seen for behavioral issues?  What you describe certainly sounds difficult.  What sort of drugs and self harm does she do?

We have several articles, one of which I am linking here given your question:  I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?  You question is one we get here a lot but unfortunately none of us can answer it.  What we can do is listen, support and help you find different ways to approach your step-daughter.  Sometimes making changes in us can help them.  Mostly though, making chances in us helps us to cope better as it is very difficult to live with a person with BPD traits and disordered behaviors as you describe.

I hope we hear more from you as you settle in.   I also hope you jump into other threads and post as that will help everyone including you.  

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 02:38:52 PM »

"Sometimes making changes in us can help them."
Thanks, Harri. This one sentence says it all.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest