Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 02:41:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The self care challenge thread Can you beat FF?  (Read 685 times)
formflier
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: June 09, 2019, 09:37:43 AM »

Hey guys.  Yesterday was a tough day for me.  The "queen" returned and when I went for workout/physical therapy I ended up with way more pain than I started with.  Usually I have less.

Double whammy. 

So...this morning I focused on doing some special things for me.  Quiet...unrushed time at my desk looking over air conditioning diagrams for a new to me vehicle I recently got at auction.  Followed by a brisk walk and stretch session (pain almost back to "normal")

Then I decided to treat myself to a local breakfast buffet.  Unrushed time on the computer...lingering over a cup of coffee... some completely wonderful chocolate milk. 

Time with a blank page on my computer seeing what thoughts come out.

So here is the challenge.  Do something special for yourself today and post here.  It's neat to get to know each other.  I know there are other chocolate milk lovers out there..   

Best,

FF

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 10:46:43 AM »

Off topic, but do you ever have molasses milk? That was a "thing" when I lived in North Carolina. Comfort food, for sure.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 10:57:53 AM »

I know there are other chocolate milk lovers out there..   

Oh, yes. If chocolate milk qualifies as "self-care", then S3 beats us all out. It's his fave.

I like the idea of a blank page and thoughts. Maybe I will do that today...I might even write out some thoughts in longhand using actual pen and paper, because I'm "old school" like that.

We are more than just our stories.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 11:13:04 AM »

I might even write out some thoughts in longhand using actual pen and paper, because I'm "old school" like that.

I generally don't think my electronics (usually a Chromebook) detract from me "being with myself"...because I can type faster than I can write...plus my penmanship leaves something to be desired.

Yet from time to time I enforce no electronics...and just paper, pen..and sometimes the Bible (paper real version).  Usually I read Bible on my phone.

Best,

FF

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 11:17:28 AM »

Off topic, but do you ever have molasses milk? That was a "thing" when I lived in North Carolina. Comfort food, for sure.

This?

https://youtu.be/S38EJWjwjIE

Umm...wow.  I've never heard of this.  I was in NC, yet about 10 minutes to get to TN (so far western part of the state).  I did spend quite a bit of time just east of Raleigh. 

I did use quite a bit of molasses growing up, but it was never a thing.  My Dad used it much more than anyone else in my family.

Hmm...perhaps I need to go get some, since I don't think there is any in the house at the moment.

Best,

FF

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 11:24:55 AM »

Blackstrap molasses has a bitter flavor, but has more health benefits. I use regular molasses for the good sweet flavor.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 11:29:56 AM »

Blackstrap molasses has a bitter flavor, but has more health benefits. I use regular molasses for the good sweet flavor.

Ok..wow.  My molasses ignorance is being exposed...

I'm sure my fond memories are of regular molasses.

My curiosity has been stirred...

Best,

FF

GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 11:55:27 AM »

Sweetness on the Gulf Coast means cane syrup...yum!

OK, we have gotten through a busy week -- trip to Texas for grandaughter's graduation, fending off DH's ex who wanted us to get financially entangled in graduation gift, getting other daughter/granddaughter off to Thailand for a month (simultaneous visit with Ex -- expecting this to blow up in 7-10 days due to Ex's Queen personae), back through New Orleans and visit to National WWII museum on D-Day no less, and home for my mother's 93rd birthday...I'm wiped out.

For self-care today -- sent mom and DH to church (I am no longer a member of that denomination and am looking for a progressive church of my chosen denomination), had yogurt and two cups of coffee, read the entire newspaper without interruption, and am about to go out for seafood lunch. This afternoon, I'm heading to my cousin's plant farm for flowering plants for my courtyard garden, and I will happily play in the dirt!

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
stolencrumbs

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 12:05:28 PM »

Sweetness on the Gulf Coast means cane syrup...yum!

In Alabama it meant sorghum syrup. There was a syrup soppin' festival where they still made it with horses turning the press.

You can fight it both arms swinging, or try to wash it away, or pay up to echoes of "okay."
Red5

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 12:52:12 PM »

In Alabama it meant sorghum syrup. There was a syrup soppin' festival where they still made it with horses turning the press.

Yes !

And when they boil it down in the caldron... I don’t remember now...the sweet sticky goo that bubbles over the side... used to pick it off with a stick and eat it... what was it we called it... I can’t remember now... also remember chewing the cain stalks... and eating Granny’s homemade buttermilk flap jacks with that pure Cain syrup... ah’ yes : )

All good memories... of homemade Cain syrup from growing up in North Central Florida  

Although the horse was replaced with either a Massy Furgason or a Ford 9N tractor...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PrSvzBF5l0I

Red5

“We are so used to our own history, we do not see it as remarkable or out of the ordinary, whereas others might see it as horrendous. Further, we tend to minimize that which we feel shameful about.” {Quote} Patrick J. Carnes / author,
Red5

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 01:23:19 PM »

What ! ?

I’ve never heard of that... must be a piedmont, or mountain thing, as we live on the coast, “down east”...

But I’m going to “make inquiries” 

My Grandparents used to consider “cold buttermilk” a treat, back home in “rural” north central Florida,

Nowadays... I like to drink cold 2% right outa the milk jug from the fridge... when no ones looking ...

Red5

“We are so used to our own history, we do not see it as remarkable or out of the ordinary, whereas others might see it as horrendous. Further, we tend to minimize that which we feel shameful about.” {Quote} Patrick J. Carnes / author,
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 01:50:10 PM »

But I’m going to “make inquiries” 

Red5 has the lead.  FF will fly wing.

I've certainly traveled all over the state of NC and there is a wide variety of food.  Always interesting to hear of something that I've never heard of before.

Cat...what part of NC was "this a thing".

Best,

FF

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 02:34:26 PM »

Cat...what part of NC was "this a thing".

Mebane

GaGrl
Ambassador

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 02:43:26 PM »

My DH is from northeastern Alabama -- they refer to sorghum.

My family is Gulf Coast (Florida to Louisiana). We refer to cane syrup--- light brown, thinner than sorghum I think, and best eaten poured over freshly baked buttermilk biscuits.I

My great-grandfather's farm had two large cash crops -- sugar cane and strawberries. Both were back-breaking crops to harvest. Sugar cane was dangerous. Now there are varieties where the field can be fired, so the protected cane stalks can be gathered without hacking through with machetes.

I remember cutting 3" pieces of cane to chew like bubblegum. There may be nothing sweeter on this earth. Makes my teeth hurt to think of it.

stolencrumbs

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 03:03:25 PM »

My DH is from northeastern Alabama -- they refer to sorghum.

Me too. Slightly more central than east, but North Alabama for sure. It's hard to beat mason jars full of sorghum syrup. I've had plenty of cane syrup, too. Good stuff.

You can fight it both arms swinging, or try to wash it away, or pay up to echoes of "okay."
empath

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2019, 03:05:27 PM »

My parents were from Tennessee and Alabama, and we lived in Florida when I was young. So syrup is a big part of my food memories with my grandparents and during our years in Fla. Our church in Fla used to have syrup making days - boiling the sugar cane down in a big vat, picnic, beach activities.

Syrup mixed with butter and put on cornbread or biscuits...  Can't find that kind of thing out here in the west.

Today, I became a member of the church that I've been attending for a little over 2 years. I picked up a treat on the way home; it's my brother's birthday.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2019, 03:39:03 PM »

Mebane

OK..so western part of "piedmont"

I passed through there often but never really hung out there.

Hmmm.

FF

I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2019, 06:53:13 PM »

My family is from West Tennessee. We had sorghum and biscuits, too, with butter...omg, so good.

And Red 5, yes, cold buttermilk in a glass, crumble some cold cornbread in it and eat it with a spoon.. my dad did that for an evening snack.

Never heard of molasses milk.
Sounds good, though.

We are more than just our stories.
Red5

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2019, 07:31:44 PM »

Y’all are making me hungry !

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BJnB4hA7sm0

(BIG smiley face emoji)

Red5

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 07:21:49 PM »

Heading to pool.  It's been a frustrating day.  Hopefully I can get a good swim/workout in and get to bed a bit early.

Keep up the self care.

Best

FF

GaGrl
Ambassador

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 07:23:41 PM »

Watching the Atlanta Braves...thank God for baseball.

Red5

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 10:36:49 AM »

So on Sunday, after Church, and lunch at the newly remodeled Golden Corral here in beautiful "Morehead City"… my S32 (autistic) and I followed our regular Sunday afternoon routine… we got back home, let the two stray cats out, and he went off to his room to change over, and I inventoried the "ships stores" for the grocery store run later on… and then we held "trash call"… and loaded up the old Silverado 4x4 we call "Thor"… to make the regular Sunday run to the county dump (transfer station)… all the household rubbish, the recycle, and a few items of cardboard, and other things that have been "held on station" all week that needed to go to the dump…

So we are ready to go… load is secured, I do my "pre-flight" walkaround, I check for leaks, and any lose items in the truck bed… and I kick the front left tire for good measure… we mount up, strap in… S32 (autistic) tunes the radio to 97.9 "The Bear" country station… and then he stowed his stuffed cat he always takes everywhere he goes on the weekends… and off we go… and as we start to get close to the Vashti Drive transfer station there by the High School… , I can feel my excitement build     … as what do I see in the bulk carrier… several large items are piled high… what looks like old furniture, and maybe a few old bicycles…

oh' boy… looks like a good day to "go picking" !

So we off load, trash-recycle-cardboard-bulk items… so what do I see in that bulk carrier, in pieces, on its end ?…

A solid oak roll top desk !

WOW !  

So I go over to the guard shack .. and ask the nice lady… "excuse me ma'am… but I see somebody has done gone and thrown away a very beautiful oak roll top there… do you reckon I can take that with me"… she knows us, as we see her most every Sunday afternoon… so she says…"sure hun" … you go on now, and take that with you, and promise me you're going to fix it up good"… so I promised that I would… and me and the boy set out to load it up on the pickup ( 4x4 lifted )  

So its in piece's… the top is 33" x 57"… and then the two pedestals… and the drawers, and some hardware, all sandwiched bagged, and marked!

What a find !… its in great shape… only the starboard side door is missing off that pedestals cabinet… where the computer and router / modem might go (concealed) .. maybe also a small printer… but I can fabricate one no worries…

After we got it home, and unloaded it into the garage… I found more "media' inside… even the keys were there… wow !

It is a "Winners Only" oak roll top, I looked it up on the internet… a double pedestal… wont take too much to get it looking brand new again…

So there  Bullet: completed (click to insert in post) !… "self care" for me… another project  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

Ya'll have a nice day !

Red5

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 10:46:54 AM by Red5 » Logged

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest