Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 05:18:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help - referral - suggestions  (Read 382 times)
Invested

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« on: June 29, 2019, 05:05:25 PM »

Hello All,

It has been a while as a whirlwind of new drama came up that took my attention. I am sorry.

My HFBPD wife has decided it time to divorce and that she has retained an attorney. Though I shared with her my sadness and regret and my commitment to our marriage the weight for her is just too much. Last year threats were made to my son by an older uncle and I called it out and insisted on accountability for the safety of all children. This was the last straw for her. She sees this as a threat to him and her family of origin and so she finally made the black/white decision to end out marriage. I explained she can have both - her family of origin (as dysfunctional it is - history of sexual abuse in family by Uncle that led to significant jail time and shame for 40 years!) and her beautiful nuclear family here today - 3 wonderful men (2 boys!),

So, does anyone have a referral to an attorney who specializes in BPD / NPD, or PD experience in NC? Specifically in Durham, NC? I need support as she progresses along whatever path she takes.

Very sad day indeed, two sons, wonderful young men, so much work for so long, 20 years. It is what it is, I accept her decision, will always do the right thing with honesty and integrity that I believe I always have. Do need some support though. Wow!

Thank you all,

Invested.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 08:43:18 PM »

Hi Invested;

You're in the right place for support! I've needed (& still need) a lot, and this is a great place for help and feedback.

Have you heard of avvo.com or expertlaw.com? I believe they're both message board type sites. Expertlaw you do need an account to post (I think). Try asking folks there about lawyers experienced with high conflict divorces in your town.

Do you have any coworkers who've been through a divorce? If you feel comfortable, ask who they used -- that's how my husband and I found our L (lawyer).

Calling is always free, and often the L or receptionist can answer some questions over the phone. Whoever you contact will probably take down your name and your W's (wife's) name -- then she can't use them as her L (conflict of interest).

You can get a list of 2-4 names and set up some initial consultations, whic may be anywhere from free to a couple hundred bucks. Ask if the L is experienced with high conflict divorces and/or PD's (personality disorders).

You don't have to go with the first L you meet (unless you really have a good experience). It's ok to "comparison shop" to find a L who really gets your situation. We met with 2 and though 1 was cheaper, the other 1 was hands down way more in tune with the issues that my husband's ex was showing.

Let us know how else we can help!

Cheers;

kells76
worriedStepmom

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 09:05:07 PM »

My H found a lawyer by googling "high conflict child custody lawyer".   We explained the situation to her and asked what experience she had with people who acted in this way.
Invested

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 05:47:23 AM »

Kells76, Worried StepMom, thank you for taking the time to respond. Means a lot to me.
MeandThee29

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 10:23:44 AM »

Yes, you want someone experienced with high conflict divorce. That's what you should ask about when you start inviewing. I did three although I had consulted another attorney earlier that I ruled out when the time came. I met my attorney at a divorce seminar. I was pretty sure he was the one then, but I did due diligence and talked to others. I wanted someone that was prepared to go to court, but could also negotiate to avoid court. Mine also does collaborative divorce, which is an option that some people in our situation finds works.

Even if it goes pretty smoothly, you want those capabilities ready.
GaGrl
Ambassador

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 11:52:31 AM »

Invested, there is a law firm has in Pensacola, Florida that specializes in what they term "father's rights." Maybe in addition to " high conflict divorce" you could also search for North Carolina "father's rights" firms.

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest