Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 02:50:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Popular books with members
Surviving a
Borderline Parent

Emotional Blackmail
Fear, Obligation, and Guilt
When Parents Make
Children Their Partners
Healing the
Shame That Binds You

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to process uBPD mom's "apology"  (Read 725 times)
ProudDad12

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: August 29, 2019, 08:04:02 AM »

If anyone wants/needs background on the long, long back story to what I'm about to talk about, it's here:
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=338446.0

So our period of NC (with my parents) was disrupted yesterday. Well really the day before. I guess it really started when my mom texted me to let me know my dad was having his biopsy done that day for potential prostate cancer (without getting into details, I've been frustrated with them for dragging their feet and finding excuses for not doing this). This happened 15 minutes before a big presentation I had to give to high management that I had been dreading for over a month. My wife was frustrated on my behalf that she chose to drop it on me the day of. Anyway, I temporarily broke NC to respond, and told her I was praying. Later that night, she sent my wife a single text saying that if my wife's intent was to break her, that she succeeded, and she is broken. Keep in mind, my wife took herself out of the conversation at day 1 of this, and didn't say anything out of line before then as far as I can tell. And has endured all the verbal abuse and public "shaming" on FaceBook (i.e., posting a passive aggressive meme and then tagging us in it with a snide comment) simply with silence and the act of de-friending my mom on Facebook.

The next one came yesterday. My brother (closest thing I have to an ally, though if it came to it he'd side with my mom) texted me to let me know they found out their unborn baby is a girl, only the second girl of all the grandchildren. It was great news and I told him as such (like I said, not NC with him). I'm guessing that was the catalyst for what followed.

So after my wife and I both had emotionally and mentally exhausting days, last night 3 things happened in the span of 15 minutes:

1) My sister asked if she could come stay tonight ahead of a Dr appt in town (should be stated she's the GC, anything we say to her is the same as saying to my mom, and we don't trust her to not talk about my mom to our kids or even blatantly FaceTiming our kids with my mom in disrespect/bypass to our NC).

2) My dad emailed me on my WORK email asking if "I need to talk". I have no idea what to make of that or why he would chose to use my work email. For the record, he's said two thing during all this to my wife and I, and both were appalling. To the extent that even our counselor was getting riled up on our behalf while trying to talk through it, and finally said he's never seen anything like it.

3) My mom texted my wife and I a long message, the first contact in the context of our conflict that didn't include or precede the insinuation that my wive is the devil incarnate (the exact words were more along the lines of "devilish", "alien Yankee logic", etc.). Anyway it was a long message which appeared to be an attempt at an olive branch, I'm guessing spurred by my brother's news. Most of the text contained the backstory to her side. Like her perception that we don't care about their medical issues, or the fact that we can travel to other places but rarely go to see them, etc. I guess all the things that had her upset with us.

She did say the words "I'm sorry in there". But really the most acknowledgment of her raging and abuse was "Things were said all around" (for the record, the reality was much more lopsided). She said she lost control because she had only been that angry one other time in her life (if I had a nickel for every time I heard that from her).

Anyway, most of the text was about what had her upset, and any acknowledgment of her part was minimal. Her line is life is too short and our family is about to get another baby girl so we don't need to be doing this.

I'm almost wishing she had said nothing at all because now I'm back in crisis. My wife's opinion is it's all BS, and she still wants nothing to do with her ever again. I actually started a response with the intent of acknowledging the change in tone and saying I would respond more thoroughly in my own time, but I stopped when my wife was horrified I was going to respond at all.

So here I am now... Once again conflicted and in turmoil. Angry at what they did. Angry/confused at the sudden about-face with minimal acknowledgment of the awful things said. Scared/conflicted at what to do next (even if that's nothing). Worried at what message to send if any. Sad that this is happening both during a scary time with my parents' health and a happy time with my brother's growing family.

Looks like today is another day my wife and I will go through as emotional zombies, for our own reasons.

pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 04:43:56 PM »

ProudDad, yikes. Wow.

To recap, you broke NC to acknowledge receipt of the update on your dad's prognosis, and the fam overwhelmed you with communication, correct? Did all this change your mind about NC, or do you just feel overwhelmed right now?

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
ProudDad12

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 05:47:09 PM »

ProudDad, yikes. Wow.

To recap, you broke NC to acknowledge receipt of the update on your dad's prognosis, and the fam overwhelmed you with communication, correct? Did all this change your mind about NC, or do you just feel overwhelmed right now?

Not really changed my mind. So I guess overwhelmed. Though things changed even after I posted so I didn't have a whole lot of time to think about it.

I had forgot to mention that I ended up telling my sister tonight wasn't a good time. I tried to be as polite as I could. The procedure she's having doesn't mesh well with stress, and although I haven't technically been NC with her, I just didn't think her staying was a good idea under the circumstances.

Well apparently she got really hurt by that, and next thing I know my brother finally jumps in the mix to tell me how ridiculous it is for my sister's big brother to tell her she's unwelcome in our home (NOT what I said). Well I responded, and we had a few back and forths that lead to an attempt at a phone call. It didn't go well. He reminded me how he has good common sense and sees things for what they are, and basically told me we need to move on from this. That we need to let our daughter stay with my parents so they can spoil her. Telling me how they are great grandparents. How they love us and just want to see the kids. This is my dad who took vacation to stain the deck at his cabin, but was absent at my son's birthday and my daughter's ballet recital, but that meant nothing to my brother. Basically talking to a brick wall on all our issues, increasingly giving the impression he thought we were crazy. Made it clear that we shouldn't be going to counseling. It didn't help that I got increasingly upset so I'm sure I didn't help matters. He finally hung up on me mid-story, and texted a final text calling me a snowflake. So, no ally there!

Next up was my mom. Guess it was fair game on me at that point. She texted "I guess were not a family anymore?", followed by "What about the kids?" Then another long text starting by addressing me by my full name and starting talking about this is not a family who turns their backs, that she can't believe this is over a late anniversary wish, that this is unnatural, to please respond so she knows my thought process. Said that she talked to counselor friends of her own that can't believe our counselor hasn't suggested she come in.

It's killing me. Every fiber in me wants to respond.  I can't believe or handle the fact that she STILL thinks this is about the anniversary. She's even trying to contact a close friend, who ironically has been helping us through this. Everyone close to this is advising me not to respond, that nothing good comes of it. My wife is a mess (so am I really).

So, to answer the question... guilty, angry, crushed, and overwhelmed!
GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 07:32:57 PM »

So now you know several things:

1) A simple communication after NC opens a flood of return communications.

2) Your mother is not yet capable of accepting responsibility for her behavior without extensive justification and minimizing.

3) Your brother, sister, and father are enablers. (They are also probably beating the pressure of your NC.

4) You still are susceptible to FOG.

Is that accurate?

When can you see your counselor?

What suggestions does your wife have?

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
etown

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 07:55:12 PM »

Excerpt
And has endured all the verbal abuse and public "shaming" on FaceBook (i.e., posting a passive aggressive meme and then tagging us in it with a snide comment) simply with silence and the act of de-friending my mom on Facebook.

First of all, wow, this is very familiar. When I I unfriended my mom on Facebook (after years of boundary crossing), she did this with such ferocity, I had to block her.

Second, it sounds like all this is happening very quickly. One thing I’ve noticed is that people with personality disorders need to move at far too fast a speed. If you don’t respond to their freak out RIGHT AWAY, they assume you hate them and send and angry or conciliatory follow up.

I’ve been going through this with my mom over the past few weeks (I’ve posted about it) and what I realized is that I don’t need to respond according to her timeline. I can take my time, talk it through with my counsellor, get grounded. Then if and when I’m ready, I’ll respond. Because that’s how respectful, loving, meaningful communication happens.

So no need to accept or respond to that olive branch right away. Maybe take a moment and examine that reactivity. Give yourself time to think and ground yourself. Find out what it means for you.

And I hope you and your wife are well in the long run.
ProudDad12

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 08:05:49 PM »

So now you know several things:

1) A simple communication after NC opens a flood of return communications.

2) Your mother is not yet capable of accepting responsibility for her behavior without extensive justification and minimizing.

3) Your brother, sister, and father are enablers. (They are also probably beating the pressure of your NC.

4) You still are susceptible to FOG.

Is that accurate?

When can you see your counselor?

What suggestions does your wife have?

So, apparently we were responding at the same time! I'll respond to you first and paste my original message below. Yeah, that's very accurate. We already have an appt for next Tuesday, we went ahead and scheduled him for every 2 weeks for a while out. He stays pretty booked. Of course according to my common sense brother we shouldn't be seeing a counselor because he'll just say what we want to hear to stay on the bankroll. My wife is in the psychology field and she did NOT appreciate that!

Regarding my mom not accepting responsibility, I'm convinced she and apparently the rest of them have a blind spot that prevents them from seeing the wrongness in what's said, much less the severity and implications. So I think she literally cannot see or understand her role. And anything my wife says is amplified. They are insistent that my wife's initial text was attacking and disrespectful. We've shown it to a number of people who assured us it wasn't, but of course that just gets disregarded as people saying what we want to hear. I think it's ironic because my brother outright said we should listen to him and my parents.

As far as my wife's advice, she's in as bad of shape as me. Strange considering apparently this was all her machination (complete sarcasm intended). Anyway besides from recommending not saying anything, she doesn't know what to say either.

First of all, wow, this is very familiar. When I I unfriended my mom on Facebook (after years of boundary crossing), she did this with such ferocity, I had to block her.

Second, it sounds like all this is happening very quickly. One thing I’ve noticed is that people with personality disorders need to move at far too fast a speed. If you don’t respond to their freak out RIGHT AWAY, they assume you hate them and send and angry or conciliatory follow up.

I’ve been going through this with my mom over the past few weeks (I’ve posted about it) and what I realized is that I don’t need to respond according to her timeline. I can take my time, talk it through with my counsellor, get grounded. Then if and when I’m ready, I’ll respond. Because that’s how respectful, loving, meaningful communication happens.

So no need to accept or respond to that olive branch right away. Maybe take a moment and examine that reactivity. Give yourself time to think and ground yourself. Find out what it means for you.

And I hope you and your wife are well in the long run.

We were also responding at the same time! I think/hope she's settled a little on the FB part. I'm being told that her antics now are more along the lines of "I don't get to see my grandchildren often" comments. You're right, she expects responses way too quickly. This idea of respectful, loving, meaningful communication sounds great and I sometimes catch myself uselessly wishing that's how my family was. Thanks for the reminder that it's OK to take my time.

Need to add one more thing... so my dad sent me another message via work email (we work in the same company). I just want to point out he has said 4 things to us/me this entire time over the course of weeks. They went as follows:

1) (Text to us) "The two of you are going to be the death of my wife. I'm starting to think that's the goal."

2) (Text to us) "Don't think we're not smart enough to know what you're doing [mywife]." Don't remember rest, but he congratulated her for getting what she wanted,  and told me he guesses it's what I want now too. And that one day someone will ask our kids about why they don't know their grandparents and someone will tell them.

3) (email to me at work) "Do you need to talk?"

4) (email to me at work) "That was my final attempt. That's it from me until you come to your senses."

I mean, "final" attempt? Those other texts were attempts? That last message sent me through the roof for multiple reasons. This is my dad who my brother reminded me is getting old and is sick. I'm just floored. I had to go scream into a pillow I was so furious. Such a simple message but dang effective at using everything that's happened and hitting right in the chest.

And yet I'm still feeling guilty unwillingly hurting my sister. And I'm still torn about replying to my mom. I feel like an idiot. I have my family telling me how ridiculous/unnatural we are being and need to stop, and on the other hand I have wife/friends/counselor/ bpdfamily trying to show me this for what it is and reminding me responding does nothing good. Not that I believe my family, but their varying tactics are ripping me up.

Wife and I are both emotionally spent. Trying to be there for each other without feeding off each other. Like the snowflakes we are (thanks, brother).
GaGrl
Ambassador

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 10:25:56 PM »

I am about to crash but wanted to just say how sorry I am that you and your wife are dealing with this level of functionality and manipulation. It must feel terrible to be ganged up on so completely.

I'm also guessing a large part of your wife's stress is seeing you in such emotional pain.

It is difficult getting healthy. You are upsetting decades of avoidance and cover-up. Stay strong!

Notwendy

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 06:09:05 AM »

Regarding my mom not accepting responsibility, I'm convinced she and apparently the rest of them have a blind spot that prevents them from seeing the wrongness in what's said, much less the severity and implications. So I think she literally cannot see or understand her role. And anything my wife says is amplified.

Yes, my mom too. I think this is because she sees things from victim perspective. Because of this, she's the one being "wronged" and "hurt". She doesn't seem to see the effects of her words and actions on other people from this perspective.

You are also correct that "apologies" aren't the same as regular apologies. My mother prefers what I call the "dry erase board method". When she's done dysregulating, I think her memory of it is gone or she wants it to be gone. She then acts nice. "look, I'm nice now" and then expects all to be forgotten as if it didn't happen. That's her version of apology. She doesn't learn from her behavior, because it gets erased and people in her circle erase it too.

What you are experiencing is family systems. Families exist in a sort of equilibrium and when one person is disordered, the others behave in a sort of balance. When one member changes their behavior, it disrupts the balance. All family members feel a sense of discomfort. The first response tends to be to rally the person back in to their role to establish balance again. If the person persists, the family needs to rearrange. Sometimes this means rejecting the member who is seen as "causing" the imbalance.

I hope your father gets good news from the doctor. I think this was both- an attempt to notify you of this concern and an opportunity to re-establish the "balance".

I went through this dynamic with my parents. I didn't go NC but went LC. It seemed impossible to go completely NC and cut off several family members. who are in my mother's circle. Like you, I know that anything I tell a sibling is likely to get back to her. Anything I said to my father did go back to her immediately. She read his e mails ( they shared the same e mail address) and listened in to his phone calls. Anything I say to her family members gets back to her immediately too.

After several years of LC though, our relationship feels kind of eerie. We are cordial. I'm distant. She's cold as ice. I realize this isn't new. She's always cold as ice, but since there's little drama between us, it's apparent. I think drama and dysfunction drives the emotional bond in her relationships, and without this, there's little emotion there. I am kind to her, I wish her no harm and still do nice things for her, but she's closed off emotionally, very closed off.

I don't have proof of this, but I have suspected she was abused as a child/young woman. I would have no idea who that might have been. But she's so closed off it makes me wonder.

ProudDad12

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 04:36:32 PM »

I am about to crash but wanted to just say how sorry I am that you and your wife are dealing with this level of functionality and manipulation. It must feel terrible to be ganged up on so completely.

I'm also guessing a large part of your wife's stress is seeing you in such emotional pain.

It is difficult getting healthy. You are upsetting decades of avoidance and cover-up. Stay strong!

Thank you, I really appreciate that.

You are also correct that "apologies" aren't the same as regular apologies. My mother prefers what I call the "dry erase board method". When she's done dysregulating, I think her memory of it is gone or she wants it to be gone. She then acts nice. "look, I'm nice now" and then expects all to be forgotten as if it didn't happen. That's her version of apology. She doesn't learn from her behavior, because it gets erased and people in her circle erase it too.

The dry erase board method seems pretty accurate, and its frustrating and infuriating. It's also one of the reasons we like to keep arguments to text if possible (at least before giving up). That way things can't be denied. At least in theory. Even with the text there plain as day, they still deny or minimize.

What you are experiencing is family systems. Families exist in a sort of equilibrium and when one person is disordered, the others behave in a sort of balance. When one member changes their behavior, it disrupts the balance. All family members feel a sense of discomfort. The first response tends to be to rally the person back in to their role to establish balance again. If the person persists, the family needs to rearrange. Sometimes this means rejecting the member who is seen as "causing" the imbalance.

I'm definitely upsetting the equilibrium, and they aren't happy. While my NC is likely being perceived as me rejecting them first, I got proof of what you said today. My wife is still looking at my FaceBook account every day to see what my mom is up to (I'm probably going to end up deleting my account because my anxiety goes through the roof when she does). Today's fun was my mom posted a meme about moms needing their sons. She tagged my brother and not me. I'm not angry, and I don't blame her given the circumstances, but it hurts, and impacts one of the many emotional layers making me feel like I'm going to either explode or implode.

I hope your father gets good news from the doctor. I think this was both- an attempt to notify you of this concern and an opportunity to re-establish the "balance".

Thanks, me too (though I know they think I don't care).

After several years of LC though, our relationship feels kind of eerie. We are cordial. I'm distant. She's cold as ice. I realize this isn't new. She's always cold as ice, but since there's little drama between us, it's apparent. I think drama and dysfunction drives the emotional bond in her relationships, and without this, there's little emotion there. I am kind to her, I wish her no harm and still do nice things for her, but she's closed off emotionally, very closed off.

The whole NC vs LC concept has been nagging at me. I think if I could go NC and endure the guilt, shame, and pain that will consume me, we might be better in the long run. As it is my wife says she's done with them period, so my choices are limited at this point anyway! I wish LC would work in my case. It breaks my heart that there is so much going on with my extended family from which NC would exclude me. Not to mention my kids lose their cousins. I hate this collateral damage caused by me simply taking a stand against emotional/verbal abuse.

I don't have proof of this, but I have suspected she was abused as a child/young woman. I would have no idea who that might have been. But she's so closed off it makes me wonder.

Not sure if I should be saying this since I've left more than enough breadcrumbs to identify myself to someone who knows me, but my mom was, by her mom. I didn't find out until a few years ago.

I've been told my multiple people to ignore the phone (I do keep it on DND all the time now) and go enjoy ourselves this weekend. I want to but I know I'm going to sabotage it. Between the guilt and frustration and everything else, I'm going to be fighting the voice in my head all weekend telling me I don't deserve to be happy even for a moment. Yes I know that's a crazy thought. The voice is sneaky. For instance, we have friends coming to visit; the voice is telling me I'm being a hypocrite for letting them come the night after the night I told my sister it wasn't a good time (I know it's not a good comparison given my sister's position, but still).

And yet crap like this seems to hit hardest during those times I actually forget about problems for a minute and become genuinely happy. Then I get knocked back in my place. I'm trying prayer, mindfulness, etc., and trying to remind myself to not be in a victim mindset.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 04:47:03 PM by ProudDad12 » Logged
Notwendy

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 06:01:49 AM »

It's tough to start to change long standing patterns - that can be described at FOG. These are obligations you learned as a child- to feel responsible for your mother's feelings and to also obligate your family's wishes for what they wanted you to do.

I can certainly relate to feeling guilty when I don't comply with my mother. If I really think about it- many of her demands are controlling and unreasonable. I think many of us have a hard time saying "no". Not complying lead to anger and punishment from BPD mom and then my father got into it as her rescuer.

It was especially difficult because I was very attached to my father. I have not been close to my mother.  He basically would "take her side" against me and that was hurtful. I also grew up with a lot of co-dependent behaviors - I wanted my father's love and approval.

It was tough to lose him. I grieved for a long time and miss him. However, it has made it easier to have boundaries with my mother, because I don't also have the fear of his disapproval. After he died, I realized I could go NC if I wanted to. She was angry at me and had basically disowned me at the time. It just didn't feel right to me to do that though- she's an elderly widow and I made an effort to remain in contact. She's cold as ice to me, treats me like I'm basically useful to her at times. I think it's probably always been this way, but when my father was alive, it wasn't as obvious to me as he cared about me. If my mother had been younger, and then remarried, we might not have been in contact.
ProudDad12

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 01:28:30 PM »

Thanks Notwendy, it really is hard to change those patterns. Especially when they are so engrained in an enmeshed family. Heck, during the disaster of a conversation with my brother I even made the mistake of alluding to the fact that I'm tired of being controlled by guilt and the "responsibility" of my mom's health and emotions (I used different words). From his reaction I'm surprised he didn't call the mental institution for me right then and there.

Just to check in on what's going on with us, we're struggling pretty bad today. It was mostly a good weekend, a couple, very good friends of ours, came up with their kid to stay the weekend. The husband was around when my wife and I met and he's a great mutual friend, and his wife and mine hit it off great when he later got married. Anyway it was a welcome distraction, even did an escape room for the first time (ironically, we were escaping an asylum). Best hour I've had in a long time.

Unfortunately I found out more things over the weekend. Bear with me on the connections here, but apparently a year or so back my mom told the mother of a woman in our circle of mutual friends (though this woman was more of a strained acquaintance than friend) about our last 2 big blowups with my family, and pretty much pegged it on my wife. Keep in mind it's a small town, but this lady and my mom have never been friends. Well it made it to our "friend", who told it to another friend in the circle, who eventually told our friend who came to see us this weekend. She even admitted that had she not known our side of the story, she would have sided with my mom.

So basically I'm finding out my mom was/is telling people in the periphery of our friends and potentially slandering us. And in this case we went a year and a half on good terms and being none the wiser. I get telling her own friends, or even acquaintances who don't know us. But inserting this crap into my social circles? I know this has been alluded to in one of my previous threads, but I'm shuddering to think of how muddy my name is now in my hometown. And what's so messed up is she's the perfect and innocent victim here, and somehow even convinces ME of that at times. Speaking of the victim stance, I'm told she's meme'ing it pretty hard on FaceBook too.

So once our friends left yesterday and the distraction was gone, it all came back and knocked me hard. It eventually wore off on my wife and we're both just out of it and going through the motions today as best we can.

I just don't get it. And it hurts and torments me so bad that my family has the stance that I need to come to my senses and stop this nonsense. When all I want to do is step away for some peace. I was thinking yesterday that I would take physical abuse over this any day. Bruises heal, and others can see them and help combat the story of me being the horrible one. And I'd have a reminder in the mirror so I wouldn't have to question myself. I know this might be a whiney and probably inconsiderate thing for me to say, and if so I apologize.

I just need it to stop. Every time I think I've progressed far enough to handle the next phase, I get hit with something else. Even blocking them on my phone wouldn't have saved me this weekend.

And the more I think of it, I've never noticed until recently just how much my mom befriends or tries to befriend our own friends. Even our friends from this weekend, who aren't from my hometown but live there now, get invited to family activities. And my mom makes a point to friend ours on FaceBook. She's pretty chummy with an old friend who we don't talk to anymore, and they comment/like each other's stuff on FB like they're longtime friends.

My wife said she feels like she's in a conspiracy theory. Meanwhile I'm going through all the emotions of anger at my family, guilt for all the things I mentioned in earlier posts, confusion on what exactly I'm supposed to do, fear of what's going to happen next, sadness/mourning for the broken relationships. I just have no idea what to even expect for the future. I don't know how to come back from this stuff and have even a superficial relationship with my family, or if I'm even supposed to want to. Wait, I know what to do, just "come to my senses" as my dad said.

A couple weeks ago I told my wife I felt like I was running on fumes; I feel like I've been driven even beyond that at this point. I don't know how to process the extreme polarization here... on one hand people in our lives in our current city being appalled at what's happening (not to mention our counselor's reaction), and on the other hand my family beating me over the head with the idea that we're overreacting, they are a good loving family, and we need to stop this. It's all just so messed up, and if I wasn't crazy when this started, I might be before the end. Even when I try to pray now, I just sit numbly, not even sure what to say or ask anymore.

That was a long post that I know doesn't really do this situation justice. It's hard to be succinct and efficient with words when the words are doubling as an attempt at catharsis.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 01:37:09 PM by ProudDad12 » Logged
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 02:37:52 PM »

ProudDad I hear your stress and exhaustion. I hope you and your wife find time to take an emotional break...and wow your mom excels at manipulation.

I want to share this excerpt of Lynne Forest's "Three Faces of Victim" shared by Harri on another thread. You can't change or control your mom, but maybe this is an opportunity to identify the roles you play/have played in the drama triangle and your motivation behind playing those roles. The full story is here:
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=108384.0

"Ironically, a main exit way off the triangle is through the persecutor position. This does not mean we become persecutors. It does mean however, that once we decide to get off the triangle, there most likely will be those who see us as persecutors. (”How can you do this to me?”) Once we decide to take self-responsibility and tell our truth, those still on the triangle are likely to accuse us of victimizing them. “How dare you refuse to take care of me,” a Victim might cry. Or “What do you mean you don't need my help?” a primary enabler storms when their victim decides to become accountable. In other words, to escape the victim grid, we must be willing to be perceived as the “bad guy.” This doesn't make it so, but we must be willing to sit with the discomfort of being perceived as such."

You're perceived as the persecutor and your mom is recruiting others to control you. It's a tried and true technique that pwBPD use because it works. Glass half full: you can recognize her technique for what it is. Are you willing to be perceived as the bad guy? Does all of this make you wonder if what she's saying is really true? What do you know to be true? How can you continue to strive to take responsibility for your own actions? If your actions continue to result in similar behavior from her, are you willing to keep going?

Thirteen years ago my name was mud to my friends, family and church because the abusive golden boy I was divorcing lied to anyone who would listen. It was so hard to listen to my team of counselors (my ex's counselor was involved in defending me at that point), do the right thing, take one step at a time and ignore the by-proxy abusers he recruited to control me. In most cases, the by-proxy's didn't know the truth, they were just responding out of their own shame. I can tell you with full confidence and peace of mind, regardless who listens to and believes your mom: the truth comes out in the wash and what you're working towards is so worth it.

Don't be afraid. You'll see the pay off down the road. You've got this. You're working out new muscles and you're feeling the burn. You and your wife are doing great! keep it up!

pj

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 03:41:16 PM »

Hi proud dad.   Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

I can't improve on pursuingJoy's response above so I am just going to say read it over and over again.  She nailed it. 

Let's talk about it.

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Vanilla Sky

Relationship status: LC after 1+ year of NC

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 03:51:54 PM »

Hi ProudDad  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

This is very familiar. I don't have much advice for you but lots of empathy.

You and your wife are definitely not getting crazy - quite the opposite. When I read your posts, I see you describing facts as they happened, things that your mother did. When we tell what happened to someone else we bring it to a conscious place where we can gain clarity. I find this particular moment to be a turning point for me: to be able to tell other people (here, a close friend and my T) what my mother did without minimizing it. My mother is a uBPD with high narcissist traits (might be a full-blown covert NPD) and it was hard to learn that she behaves in ways to fulfill her own needs and don't take into account the impact of that to others, even her children. It's selfish. This includes manipulating others to get what she wants, and talk bad about me to others so she can be the victim on their eyes. I am sorry your mother is doing that to you and your wife. It is important to recognize that what your mother is doing is not right and is not what a healthy loving mother would do.

What pursuingJoy's responded is very spot-on in my opinion.

Panda39

Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 04:13:00 PM »

Hi Proud dad,

The thing about setting boundaries is things can get worse before they get better...as you are experiencing now.  I hear all the chaos and the FOG that is coming from every direction that your mom can make happen.  She is involving her "flying monkeys" from Wizard of Oz fame.  She is using everyone...dad, siblings, extended family, friends, acquaintances and even strangers on Facebook.

It's tough to ride this out, but the people that really know and really care for you will believe you and support you.  Those people in my opinion are the keepers.  I'm glad you let your friends stay at your house I think you made the right choice there rather than having your sister over with all the strings that come attached to her.  You passed on an opportunity to escalate the drama...wise decision.

I often share this simplified analogy about boundaries I hope it helps...

We've all seen this at the grocery store...

Mom's value: I want to take good care of my child and that includes eating good healthy food.
Mom's boundary: Sweets are to be had at special occasions only
Mom's Action: Not buy sweets for her child while grocery shopping

A little kid asks mom for candy, mom says no so the kid pouts.  Little kid asks mom again for some candy, mom says no again so the kid whines.  Little kid asks mom again for some candy, mom says no for the third time, this time kid has a full on melt down screaming tantrum (what we call an Extinction Burst). What happens if mom gives in and gets the candy?  That little kid has just learned that having a screaming tantrum will get them what they want and if it gets them what they want once screaming in the grocery store will likely work again. What happens if mom doesn't give in? The kid learns that no means no and he gives up.

This does not mean however that the little kid won't ask again the next time mom and he go to the grocery store...the kid will test the boundary again and so will the person with BPD in your life.  The key here is to always be consistent with your boundary.

Just to add to this a little bit with a modification that is happening in your situation.  Your mom inviting everyone on the planet into the drama to pick on ProudDad, is like the kid having the tantrum in the store, telling mom that all their friends get candy! and the friend's moms, the grocery store clerk, the meat counter guy, the deli clerk, and the random passer by pressuring the mom to buy the candy isle.

I know what's happening is overwhelming and really hard but stick with your boundary.  Boundaries are about protecting you not about punishing someone else.  You are protecting yourself from abuse, hang in there.

More on Extinction Burst...
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=85479.0

pursuingjoy right on the money!

Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
sklamath

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Relationship status: LC

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 07:20:53 PM »

So basically I'm finding out my mom was/is telling people in the periphery of our friends and potentially slandering us. And in this case we went a year and a half on good terms and being none the wiser. I get telling her own friends, or even acquaintances who don't know us. But inserting this crap into my social circles?

My own mother has on multiple occasions contacted my friends to seek validation after a disagreement with me, and in most cases I found out years after the fact. It's completely infuriating, "WTF?" behavior. The upside is that, even when I can make excuses for the other things my mom says and does, this one is clearly bananas: emotionally healthy adults don't behave this way. It hurts like heck to be the subject of this kind of drama-mongering, but think about what it would feel like to be the recipient of that information. It's a boundary violation to have that information shared about you, but also to have that kind of information shared with you. Yes, some people are going to naively buy in, but most emotionally healthy people are going to question why their friend's parent is telling them this. I started to become aware in my teen years that my mom had alienated some would-be friends by oversharing and sympathy-seeking behavior--about her health, coworkers, family members, "friends". Everyone needs a sympathetic ear from time to time, but it's not normal (or effective) to use emotional dumping as a fast track to friendship, and it's definitely not normal or acceptable to vent to people you barely know. And definitely not to your adult child's friends. 

I really like what pursuingJoy had to say about being willing to be the "bad guy". That's in line with something else out there that I've read about being willing to actively disappoint [our personality disordered parents]. It's not going to be fun or easy, but it is being the most authentic and loving versions of ourselves.

Even when I try to pray now, I just sit numbly, not even sure what to say or ask anymore.

I'm sorry, ProudDad12. I have a friend--who I know means well--who prays for reconciliation between my mother and me. I can't pray for that myself, as I can't say I actively desire that at this point, but it's OK that she prays that for me and my mom. I pray for physical, spiritual, and emotional health for my parents, and for myself.  I pray that my mom finds peace and spiritual rest, because I know that her emotions are overwhelming to her. I genuinely want peace for her, but I accept that it is not something I can provide for her. For myself, I pray that in my heart I know that I am loved. Perhaps that love does not come from my parents, but from God, from within, and from others God puts in my life.
Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2019, 08:39:41 PM »

Hi ProudDad.  I keep thinking about your situation, specifically where you say you are no contact.  The purpose of no contact, which is a tool, is to give yourself time away from the abuse so you can recover and work on ways that can improve your situation.  A lot of that involves learning about how to detach emotionally and enforce boundaries based on your personal values with love and respect for you, your family and your parents as well.

Like the excerpt from the article that pursuingJoy linked here, it does involve being willing to be seen as the bad guy.  that is so hard to accept, I know, I've been there.

I think one of the areas that might help you get more distance is to stop reading the facebook posts every day.  You said your wife is checking them.  Stop checking.  Unfollow your mother.  You don';t need to block her but you can if you want.  Stop replyuing to texts and phone calls.  If friends bring up things about them tell them you need a break from talking about your parents.

This time of NC is about you and healing yourself and working to get to a better and stronger place.  Some of what I am reading from you indicates you are working on that and in other areas, you are jumping right back into the drama triangle. 

Do you see what I see here?

BTW that article, the three faces of victim can be a tough read for us here as it shows how we participate in the drama and eventually work ourselves into the victim role but it is well worth it.

ProudDad12

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2019, 09:32:36 PM »

Thanks everyone for all of the help. I tried to reply to each and realized the post was getting really long with all the quoting. But as Harri suggested I do want to talk about it because it's helpful and good stuff, and I could still use a bit of guidance/strategies.

pursuingJoy, I've been reading a book focused on the drama triangle, and what you posted is a lot more helpful/meaningful than what I've gotten from the book so far. I really appreciate it. I've been coming to accept the fact I might have to be seen as the bad guy by my family of origin and/or an undetermined number of people who saw me grow up. In the end I really hope the truth does come out. I know what they did, and what we didn't do. I guess that's going to have to be enough for now.

I think the piece I struggle with is how to handle the internal voice that questions "What if I AM the bad guy? My logic, friends, counseling, reading, etc. suggest that my family's behavior is abnormal and not OK. On the other hand, my family's insistence that we are just overreacting and need to "come to our senses" invokes my years of FOG programming and takes advantage of the love I have for them despite themselves. So it becomes a tug of war between my mind and heart. I frankly don't know what it's going to take to make me stop questioning. A friend outright told me yesterday that my mom's actions should be all the evidence I need at this point. It makes perfect sense.

So, does anyone have any advice/strategies for how to not torment myself in questioning my role in all this? I'm willing to take the persecutor exit for the sake of my family's well being, I just don't want to repeatedly sabotage myself on the way. I mean, I try mindfulness, distractions, etc. But the turmoil is always waiting to sneak back in. Even simple things become questioned... For instance, I reviewed my wife's first text to my mom before she sent it (the one that initiated all this). I didn't see anything wrong with it, beyond the fact that it was openness/honesty (attempted respectfully) being inserted into a closed system. But my family's insistence that the text was attacking and disrespectful makes me repeatedly go back and re-review. It's infuriating how they get in my head.

Vanilla Sky, you're right, I'm increasingly coming to understand that my mom's actions are not what a healthy loving mother would do. It helps that I have my MIL to talk to to give her perspective on that, and being able to watch her own behavior. You hit on something else I try to stay aware of, which is that my mom's actions are very likely motivated around mostly her need to see and spoil my daughter, and to a lesser extent, family appearances. I never get a sense of her genuinely caring about our own needs or pain.

Panda39, thanks for the pep talk! I know it probably isn't a healthy attitude to seek validation on the board, but at the same time during this phase of my questioning everything, it really does help to know I appear to be on the right track. And you're right, my mom really is pulling out the stops, and I suspect she has a few more hands to play. I'll do my best to hold boundaries.

sklamath, what's sad is I've had to come to understand that healthy adults don't behave like this! Let's just say it's been an eye opening few years. But now that I'm getting better at seeing things for what they are, I'm trying to hold onto the fact that the things my family are doing aren't OK, and I need to use that to stay strong. And I really hope people can see through my mom. But it took me a very long time, so I can't expect it from anyone else.

And thanks for the prayer suggestions. When I'm able to articulate one, it's usually along the lines of discernment/guidance, as well as emotional and physical healing for all (the idea of my mom crying every night really does make me feel bad). I'm past asking for specific outcomes, just need peace for everyone, and I want to do the right thing.

Harri, we were replying at the same time! I agree about FB. I don't check it, and my wife is learning not to tell me what she sees (though I do find out from time to time). I've been inclined to just close my account.

And yes, I do keep catching myself putting myself in a victim position! I try to be conscious of it but it does keep happening. You're right about the NC, we need it to heal. I'm getting better about not replying, but it's been so tricky with my dad's cancer stuff and my brother's unborn baby. When I replied to the texts related to those things I rolled the dice, and lost. I hope I'm able to do better next time.

Also, if I missed the point in anything you said please let me know!

Thanks again everyone for the responses. I can't overstate how much it's appreciated.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 01:01:51 AM »

Quote from: ProudDad12
Of course according to my common sense brother we shouldn't be seeing a counselor because he'll just say what we want to hear to stay on the bankroll

As opposed to seeking a professional, outside voice with no skin in the game, but rather the voices who would rather continue to foment a dysfunctional family dynamic? Of course he would say that. As Notwendy alludes to, the Family dynamic adjusts to preserve its [dysfunctional] system. That's how it survives. Conflicts are normal, but not to this level.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Notwendy

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 04:43:31 AM »

And it hurts and torments me so bad that my family has the stance that I need to come to my senses and stop this nonsense. When all I want to do is step away for some peace.

I went through something similar when my father got ill and died. I also tried to step away from the chaos. BPD mom was being abusive. I understand this was a tough time for her, but it was for me too and I could only deal with so much.

Family systems are somewhat predictable. The first step is to get the "wayward" family member back in the fold. My father wrote a sad e mail to me ( maybe she wrote it- they shared an e mail address) which said " I just want to be a happy family again" Happy? what made him think I was happy being subjected to how she treated me? Happy because I complied and now, I didn't want to allow her to be abusive to me.

The next step was her painting me black, to him, to her FOO. She told her FOO to stop speaking to me and they did. These were relatives I thought were family all my life. My father's death basically split the family. I remained in contact with his side, didn't speak to or hear from hers for years. Yes, I cried a lot over that loss, didn't quite understand it. Also wondered what she had told them.

I don't know what the right way to cope it, but I drew on faith. I had to hold on to the belief that if nobody knows the truth,  at least God does. Maybe I didn't do it perfectly, but I don't have malice for my mother. She might feel like a victim but I don't have bad intentions towards her.

It's been several years. Mom has formed a whole new life for herself with people who don't know me. I can only imagine what she's said to them about me. I've learned that it's better to have separate social circles. She also tries to befriend my friends and does things like send them expensive gifts. It feels creepy. She's also tried to do this with my own kids ( they are older than yours)- entice them to "her side" with expensive gifts.  Fortunately we don't live in the same area and she doesn't know all my friends, but she has tried to do this.

Mom's FOO lives near her and some of them have recently tried to reconnect with me. I have been cordial and cautiously optimistic but I'm also aware that they have heard plenty of her painting me black. I think though that they have figured her out. As they get to know me, they can see that what she has told them doesn't seem true. I don't say anything about my mother- and just let them figure things out themselves.

Whatever your mother says about you doesn't make it true. It's hard to hold on to that, but it's what helps me.
Panda39

Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 07:47:58 AM »

Whatever your mother says about you doesn't make it true. It's hard to hold on to that, but it's what helps me.

I totally agree with this.  I don't have a BPD mom but have a controlling and critical mom.  It took me a long time...47 years to realize that her opinion of me was just that, her opinion.  Her criticisms of me were actually about her and about how she thought I reflected on her.  They had nothing to do with me and who I am.  I came to the conclusion that I would never be who she wanted me to be and that she would never be the mom I needed her to be.  I accept this and have a relationship with her that functions from this point of view.  I no longer expect her to love the authentic me she just can't do it she isn't able, and I no longer recognize her criticisms as valid so they don't hurt me anymore.

It is about accepting she is who she is and working with that and protecting myself accordingly. I am low contact with my mom, and I don't share everything I do and feel...there is a distance and that is how it has to be for a relationship with her to work.

I have a group of friends that love the authentic me, and this includes some older women friends that I can connect with.  I have in a sense created my own Family from those people...the people that support me.

family noun, fam·​i·​ly | \ ˈfam-lē  , ˈfa-mə-\, plural families

Definition of family
1a : the basic unit in society traditionally consisting of two parents rearing their children
also : any of various social units differing from but regarded as equivalent to the traditional family

Look for your "family" who are they?  Who is supporting you, who believes you, who is listening to your feelings, who is supporting the authentic you?

I think radical acceptance is part of the equation, accepting your mom is who she is, she isn't likely to change and making your relationship decisions based on that.  Based on what is, not what you hope she will be. 

Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
ProudDad12

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 07:36:09 PM »

As opposed to seeking a professional, outside voice with no skin in the game, but rather the voices who would rather continue to foment a dysfunctional family dynamic? Of course he would say that. As Notwendy alludes to, the Family dynamic adjusts to preserve its [dysfunctional] system. That's how it survives. Conflicts are normal, but not to this level.

Yeah, luckily his words didn't stick on that one. He went even a step farther to talk about how they are the ones I need to listen to because they are the ones who love me and have by best interest at heart. I wish he could see the irony.

Family systems are somewhat predictable. The first step is to get the "wayward" family member back in the fold. My father wrote a sad e mail to me ( maybe she wrote it- they shared an e mail address) which said " I just want to be a happy family again" Happy? what made him think I was happy being subjected to how she treated me? Happy because I complied and now, I didn't want to allow her to be abusive to me.

The next step was her painting me black, to him, to her FOO. She told her FOO to stop speaking to me and they did. These were relatives I thought were family all my life. My father's death basically split the family. I remained in contact with his side, didn't speak to or hear from hers for years. Yes, I cried a lot over that loss, didn't quite understand it. Also wondered what she had told them.

I don't know what the right way to cope it, but I drew on faith. I had to hold on to the belief that if nobody knows the truth,  at least God does. Maybe I didn't do it perfectly, but I don't have malice for my mother. She might feel like a victim but I don't have bad intentions towards her.

I definitely feel like I'm the wayward/prodigal son that my whole FOO is trying to get back. Whether wayward is a good or bad thing in this case I guess depends on where you're standing. I'm drawing on faith hard. I don't have malice for my mom either, I love her despite all this stuff. And she says she loves me, but I can't help but to see manipulation everywhere; and I'm frankly not sure if she does. At this point I'm trying my best to take each step as best I can as to minimize the regrets I'll have in 10 years.

I no longer expect her to love the authentic me she just can't do it she isn't able, and I no longer recognize her criticisms as valid so they don't hurt me anymore.

It is about accepting she is who she is and working with that and protecting myself accordingly. I am low contact with my mom, and I don't share everything I do and feel...there is a distance and that is how it has to be for a relationship with her to work.

I have a group of friends that love the authentic me, and this includes some older women friends that I can connect with.  I have in a sense created my own Family from those people...the people that support me.

The "authentic me" comment really resonated with me. While I don't consider myself much of a different person around my parents than around others (i.e., I'm not putting on any other act other than acting happy), I feel suppressed. Keeping my mouth shut on everything. I feel like I can breathe when I'm with my real friends. Just adds to the irony of my brother's comments. He says they are the ones who love and support me, and yet I feel like I can't be authentic around them.

I think a month or so ago the idea of LC & distance with my mom was the best I could hope for. Though right now things are mostly feeling like ashes.

So my mom reached out to me again today. Talking about how I was her first love, basically a long and sad text seemingly coming from a place of desperation, giving up, sadness, etc. Possibly even with threats of self harm between the lines with a tone of finality. It initially had me feeling deep sadness and frustration, and it almost seemed genuine. Except two pieces in the text that once I noticed them stood out hard:

1) My wife was mentioned one time only... by saying it took my wife to make me see all the terrible things done to me.

2) She said she was deeply sorry for all the things I'm being told she did to me.

After my initial wave of emotions, those two pieces are all that's standing out to me. I'm not sure what to think about the fact that I'm almost numb to her pleas at this point. Don't get me wrong, the idea of her crying every night breaks my heart and makes me feel horrible. But I don't want my wife crying any more either. And that's the thing... she sends this long "apology" or whatever it is, and STILL manages to do the one thing this whole freaking thing has been about, which is characterize my wife as the problem.

For the record, I haven't responded.

Now the conversation at home is why I haven't blocked them all yet on my phone (we don't have a house phone, just cells). I don't think I can quite articulate a full reason why I haven't, but it hasn't seemed right. But my wife points out that we need a break and as long as they have access to my phone, we are on edge and don't get a break. And even if we don't respond, we read the messages and allow them to ruin our nights. So I'm adding consideration of doing that to my list of things to be conflicted about.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2019, 09:41:56 PM »

You were her first love? Not your dad or possible past boyfriends?  That sounds creepy to me.

Excerpt
The "authentic me" comment really resonated with me. While I don't consider myself much of a different person around my parents than around others (i.e., I'm not putting on any other act other than acting happy),

That's because you're more differentiated as your own Self than them, even though you're struggling. All of the Eight Concepts are worth reading here.

Differentiation of Self

People with a poorly differentiated “self” depend so heavily on the acceptance and approval of others that either they quickly adjust what they think, say, and do to please others or they dogmatically proclaim what others should be like and pressure them to conform. Bullies depend on approval and acceptance as much as chameleons, but bullies push others to agree with them rather than their agreeing with others. Disagreement threatens a bully as much as it threatens a chameleon. An extreme rebel is a poorly differentiated person too, but he pretends to be a “self” by routinely opposing the positions of others.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
ProudDad12

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2019, 07:29:29 AM »

You were her first love? Not your dad or possible past boyfriends?  That sounds creepy to me.

I had the same thought... didn't think much about it when I read it but when I typed it last night I did a mental double take.

People with a poorly differentiated “self” depend so heavily on the acceptance and approval of others that either they quickly adjust what they think, say, and do to please others or they dogmatically proclaim what others should be like and pressure them to conform. Bullies depend on approval and acceptance as much as chameleons, but bullies push others to agree with them rather than their agreeing with others. Disagreement threatens a bully as much as it threatens a chameleon. An extreme rebel is a poorly differentiated person too, but he pretends to be a “self” by routinely opposing the positions of others.

The chameleon definitely sounds like me most of my life and the bully sounds like my family; at least in the right context/situations.
madeline7

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2019, 09:02:45 AM »

Going NC with my uBPDm had sever consequences for me and my FOO. I was left out of several events, partly because my Mom was the chosen one and partly because my oldest sibling stopped communicating with with for no apparent reason. I was the scapegoat, even though my siblings knew Mom was the one with mental illness. So currently I am LC with my uBPDm and communicate with my siblings (mostly one, and not the oldest) in regards to major family holidays and coordinating issues with my elderly Mom. I am learning to detach, but know that in time I may need to pull back from the entire FOO in order to have a healthier and happier life. My Mom and subsequently my FOO stir up too much anxiety. Figuring out that less contact is the lesser of 2 evils, I had hoped for a happier outcome, but I am accepting more that life with a borderline parent is not happy and extremely convoluted.
ProudDad12

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2019, 07:59:27 PM »

Going NC with my uBPDm had sever consequences for me and my FOO. I was left out of several events, partly because my Mom was the chosen one and partly because my oldest sibling stopped communicating with with for no apparent reason. I was the scapegoat, even though my siblings knew Mom was the one with mental illness. So currently I am LC with my uBPDm and communicate with my siblings (mostly one, and not the oldest) in regards to major family holidays and coordinating issues with my elderly Mom. I am learning to detach, but know that in time I may need to pull back from the entire FOO in order to have a healthier and happier life. My Mom and subsequently my FOO stir up too much anxiety. Figuring out that less contact is the lesser of 2 evils, I had hoped for a happier outcome, but I am accepting more that life with a borderline parent is not happy and extremely convoluted.

Yeah I think LC is often the best compromise, and I've tried hard to make that work in our case. But they've got me backed into a corner now in that regard, refusing to take ownership, much less apologize, for talking about and characterizing my wife so horribly.

And it's not easy.

I could actually use some help tonight in that regard. My brother texted me tonight (keep in mind his last communication with me was to call me a "snowflake"). He was telling me my dad is going to be in our town tomorrow for his prostate biopsy results, and that it would "make his week if he could see the kids". Also keep in mind there hasn't been any other communication with my parents since the things they said that I described in my earlier posts in this thread.

So now both their health and our kids, basically my kryptonite of holding boundaries, are being used in the same sentence.

I'm feeling like a horrible person tonight. Granted, my wife is sick with something flu-like, and my oldest may be coming down with it too, so there's an easy out for tomorrow. But there's still the matter of whether or not I respond, not to mention the longer term implications if his results are bad. Last time I broke NC it blew up in my face, so I can either do that again, or not respond (my current plan unless I'm convinced otherwise). It is so messed up that they can unapologetically say everything they've said about my wife, then project that on us, and then play the health and grandkids card. And I know part of this is just different mentalities. They will feel like any cancer diagnosis becomes a get out of jail free card to not have to take ownership for their actions, as if they thought they did anything wrong to begin with. Meanwhile after dealing with their crap for years, I'm at the point of having the opinion that that is still not an excuse for what they do and say. Giving in to them then hurts my wife, which is the last outcome I want here. I mean, am I wrong in that it would be really messed up to take our kids to see my parents after all they've said (and seemingly stand by) about my wife?

At the end of the day, I can try to rationalize this all I want, but I struggle not to feel like a horrible person.
GaGrl
Ambassador

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2019, 09:41:17 PM »

This is so tough -- I watched my mom in this situation with her uBPD stepmother and enabled dad. It helped that my father moved us 200 miles away. They stayed LC and medium chill.I

My immediate thought is that, it your father wants to see the children while he is in town, he can reach out to you. Your brother is still trying to bring your dysfunctional family back to its previous comfort level, and he's inserting himself between you and your parents.

madeline7

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2019, 09:58:17 AM »

This is a tough position to be in. When I stand back and see the FOO in its entirety, it seems every place in this family seems like an impossible place to be. So 2 years ago I was "left out" of a family get together by my sister because my uBPDm was NC with me. Since then I realize that I likely could have gone to the get together but was too anxious about how to deal with my Mom in the same place. Through lots of work, I realized that I could be the one in control and choose to go to family get togethers if I choose to, and visit with family and just say hello to Mom and refuse to engage in drama. So my LC means I am in control, I see Mom when I want to and do not see her if she is acting out. Easier said then done, I realize, I am in my 60's and have had lots of time to work on this. My point here is that you are entitled to make your own decision,. and if you feel it's important for your kids to see their grandpa, and if your wife is OK with it, make that your choice, not something you feel bad about or forced into.
Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2019, 02:50:08 AM »

Staff only

This thread reached the maximum post limit and has been split and locked.  Part 2 is here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=339409.msg13075355#msg13075355

Thank you.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest