Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 12:04:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IEP Assessment in the State of California  (Read 369 times)
RadAccepter
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: September 10, 2019, 11:07:48 PM »

I’m a new member and this is my first post. We developed a 504 plan for my now 7th grader in the last weeks of 6th grade.  We are in California. She is having a difficult transition into junior high, and, on the 8th day,  her guidance counselor recommended that we have the school assess her for an IEP.  I am well aware of the differences between an IEP and a 504 plan. My “mom gut” tells me something is a little off with how quickly they are recommending an assessment for an IEP without really knowing her, have time to use the accommodations of the 504, and giving her some time to settle into this big transition.  I know there are many benefits to an IEP, but I would like someone to also share any downsides.  My SIL who is a principal and once was a special education teacher has concerns for our daughter about labels, as do we.  We also want anyone who works with our child to work with her from a position of her strengths.  Last, we have encountered a wide range in the quality of mental health professionals in our journey and always interview them prior to having them meet with our daughter.  How will we know if the assessor(s) are up to our standards of working with our daughter.  Thanks.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 02:26:14 AM »

Hello Radaccepter
Welcome to the group. I am glad you found us. Has your daughter been diagnosed with BPD? I am afraid I do not know much about IEPs since my son did not have one. There are others here who do though and I am sure they will be along shortly to share their wisdom. Meanwhile I hope you will make yourself comfortable
 Look around the website and  see what bpdfamily has to offer that might be of use to you. For example here is some information about IEPs IEPs

Hugs
Faith
SadtimesAZ

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 03:15:54 AM »

12 years old and diagnosed bpd? An individual education plan could be implemented lots of ways. Are you talking about mental behavioral or learning disabilities. At that age your looking at conduct disorder not a specific diagnosis that continues into adulthood. Could be adhd or autism spectrum. What kind of issues are going on with her?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest