Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 11:26:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If ex contacts me again...  (Read 382 times)
secretgirl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: October 11, 2019, 07:45:31 PM »

IF ubpdexbf contacts me again... my T suggested that I approach it this way... is this a good idea? thoughts?

"I know that we are both very exhausted from these arguments and fights that keep happening... I'm trying on my end very hard to see a therapist, and work on myself and how I can improve and change... do you like these arguments? What would you be willing to do on your end to fix it?"
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

ColdKnight

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 01:19:55 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for replying to my post on your other thread. I’ll answer your questions soon but I wanted to reach out to you on this topic first.

That is a tough one. It seems to me that it’s not the message you send but rather the message they receive. Meaning you could send something with great intention and affection and they might pick one little bit out of it that they don’t like and focus on that.

Is there anything in that message that you think might trigger him again?

Take it for what it’s worth, I am no one of consequence.
secretgirl

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 01:24:22 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for replying to my post on your other thread. I’ll answer your questions soon but I wanted to reach out to you on this topic first.

That is a tough one. It seems to me that it’s not the message you send but rather the message they receive. Meaning you could send something with great intention and affection and they might pick one little bit out of it that they don’t like and focus on that.

Is there anything in that message that you think might trigger him again?

Thx CK. Yeah it seems a bit accusatory ... but id like to know how to ask him how he will be improving the relationship from his end ?
ColdKnight

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 02:25:54 PM »

I don’t think it is accusatory at all. I think for Nons it is a very valid and reasonable question. I just wonder how he might take it. I think that is a big part of that whole “walking on eggshells” feeling. Is what I say no matter how innocent it is, going to set them off.

I know that my ex could never handle even playful teasing. Much less confrontation about an issue we were having.

Is asking him about his part in improving the relationship something you feel you need to ask as soon as he initiates contact again? Maybe establish a little friendly communication first?

I don’t know...what do you think?

I often wonder the same. What would I say to her if she contacted me. I blasted her pretty badly so if she had the courage to contact me again and I blasted her again it might shut her down again.

Take it for what it’s worth, I am no one of consequence.
secretgirl

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 05:04:30 PM »

Yeah... exactly... the issue is both you and I keep talking to them like they're non's then we get frustrated when they "don't get it" Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) fml.

Yeah I think you're right.. maybe I'll establish the friendly communication first and just hear him out if he does contact me and listen to what he feels about it... sometimes in the past he has come to me and apologized... but like it still doesn't change the fact that he usually goes back on his word of how he will improve... so that;s kind of why I want the conversation to lead in this direction... because at the end of the day, if we are doing our part and they aren't doing theirs... it's up to us to first clarify that they don't want to do their part and then decide if we want to accept this or not right? Because then my approach will be entirely different. I'll have to change a lot of the way I respond.
Anakin

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 05:08:35 PM »

It seems to me that proper wording is key.  As using the wrong word or sequence of words and they can take it the wrong way.  I can see both views with your question on how yes it might trigger a bad reaction and also how it could not.  I wish I had more knowledge about this illness to give you a better answer.  What CK said maybe the better option to feel him out a bit first then ask the question.  Sorry that may not be very helpful, but currently it’s all I got
secretgirl

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 05:29:10 PM »

It seems to me that proper wording is key.  As using the wrong word or sequence of words and they can take it the wrong way.  I can see both views with your question on how yes it might trigger a bad reaction and also how it could not.  I wish I had more knowledge about this illness to give you a better answer.  What CK said maybe the better option to feel him out a bit first then ask the question.  Sorry that may not be very helpful, but currently it’s all I got

That's okay Anakin... thanks for replying I was just about to reply to your post. Smiling (click to insert in post)
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 07:09:32 PM »

Excerpt
"I know that we are both very exhausted from these arguments and fights that keep happening... I'm trying on my end very hard to see a therapist, and work on myself and how I can improve and change... do you like these arguments? What would you be willing to do on your end to fix it? we have a lot of conflict. What are your thoughts on how we can resolve it?"

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
secretgirl

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 07:16:13 PM »

THANKS OR. Smiling (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest