Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 31, 2024, 09:00:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Argh I am afraid for my adult child with BPD  (Read 361 times)
Reensky
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: October 23, 2019, 06:24:21 PM »

Just another day of ranting about the desire to die. Feeling helpless and afraid for my adult child.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 03:46:24 AM by FaithHopeLove » Logged
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 04:00:50 AM »

Hello Reensky
Welcome to the group. I am glad you are here. Many of us, myself included, know what it is like to have an adult child who rants and says they want to die. It is very scary. My son does this a lot. I know exactly what you mean by that helpless feeling. What gets me through it without losing my own mind is what my AlAnon group calls detaching with love. That means accepting that this is his journey
 I didn't cause the problem and I can't fix it
 All I can do is keep loving him as he figures it out for himself. I keep the suicide hotline on speed dial and do what I can if I think he is in immanent danger of hurting himself but beyond that I accept that I feel helpless because I AM helpless and it's OK to be helpless. Accepting what we cannot change is part of life. I don't usually talk so much about myself on other people's threads but I am thinking maybe my own experience will help you
 Does it? (You can be honest.) What else do you feel comfortable sharing concerning your adult child? This is safe space. Sometimes it helps to get stuff off your chest by typing it out. I am glad you joined us and hope to hear more from you.
Hugs
Faith

Grace88

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 09:21:04 AM »

I am going through something similar at the moment, its a horrible feeling, never being certain if they are going to get through it. I can only empathise with you, I am currently feeling frightened, confused and lost. How are the mental health or crisis services where you live, do you find them supportive?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest