Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 11:25:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Constant Crisis  (Read 407 times)
Emerald0923
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Mother/Living together

« on: November 11, 2019, 04:51:06 PM »

Hi all,

I am new to the group.  I am the mom of an almost 13 year old with BPD.  Her official diagnosis is DMDD with borderline traits, but we have seen evidence of all 9 criteria since she was young.  Our biggest concern is that she has been undulating on self-destruct mode for several months now.  She refuses to take medicine, hates therapy (though we are trying a new therapist that she may end up liking), and has not participated in the DBT classes we've taken her to.

Between her ODD and adolescence, her opposition is in full force, and recently if I "make" her do something she doesn't want to do, or take something away that has been causing an issue, she breaks down, becomes verbally abusive, destructive, and wants to run away.  She feels abandoned and traumatized by hospitalization (our state has limited resources for decent in-patient), and if the police are involved, she becomes angry with them and refuses to cooperate.  I want very much to take care of things at home, since we have not had much success with hospitalization (except for medical treatment with her past suicide attempts), but I really just don't know how.  I know she feels like she wants to die, and I just don't know how to help her out of her hole, when she refuses my help. 

Most of the time my other children are in bed, but they are subject to her outbursts as well, and even the dogs are displaying significant anxiety.  All of the sharps and medications are under biometric lock, but I struggle with trying to keep a safe environment as well as keeping the rest of my family mentally healthy. 

I'd love to hear success stories of other parents who have dealt with children who are oppositional to treatment.  I understand she feels so shamed by all of this that she doesn't want to deal, but I can't even have a conversation with her about the important stuff without a major breakdown. 

Thanks for listening!
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 08:45:05 PM »

Hello Emerald
Welcome to the parenting group. We are glad you are here. This is a great place to find information and support for what you are going through with your daughter. There is a lot you can do that may help your relationship with her but first it is important that you be healthy and step strong. You took a big first step in coming here. What else are you or could you be doing to care for yourself and the rest of the family?
Hugs
Faith
Emerald0923
Fewer than 3 Posts

Relationship status: Mother/Living together

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 09:32:17 PM »

I understand self maintenance is important, but I just don't know when I have the opportunity.  I am working on a plan to reduce my work outside of the home, but that just means more work right now to get me to a place where I can.  I don't have a local support system, and my other children require a lot as well.  I do the best I can to educate myself and use all of the coping skills I can to be better at mindfulness, acceptance, and validation.  I'm not sure what else to do.
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 09:45:48 PM »

Have you thought about therapy for you? It helped me a lot.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest