Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 08:28:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unable to cope with the silent treatment/waiting game  (Read 1348 times)
AnAwkwardGeek

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: New couple, not together long enough to be 'official'

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2020, 06:56:01 AM »

how so? what happened?
The details aren't important.  This situation is very different.  The issue comes with my tendency to be nostalgic and to try to recapture something that once was when the time for that has long passed because people change, or in some cases, didn't.

i cant tell you how many members i have worked with on this board who have not gotten this opportunity, but instead have had extreme actions or allegations taken/made against them.

i am not sure this is an attitude that is going to improve your situation or save the relationship.

to do that, you have to understand what went wrong, and what is going to change, and how. your trajectory depends far more upon that than having a next conversation or what its about.

to do that, you have to be in a place to do that...to sort through it all.
No one thing 'went wrong', she just got into a really bad space and instead of reflecting onto me she decided to isolate.  Is something I did a factor?  Likely.  She started drifting away after I let her know the end of my engagement was finalized/public/official.  I checked my logs, she said she was in a bad headspace a few days before that though.
She had just moved.
Closer to family (there are family issues).
She mentioned something that at first seemed minor but the layout of the building left her feeling isolated/anxious at times, something about hallways being too narrow.
The Covid-19 crisis began.
The state she lives in is one of the ones that reacted in a more draconian manner.
Probably some other factors I'm not remembering at this moment or are simply unaware of.
it was one week ago that you were planning to sneak attack her and let her have it.

it feels great that she responded. it feels great that you got to catch up. it would also feel great if she agreed to come back tomorrow. but if that happened, things would likely fall apart quickly.

think this through. develop a game plan.
That's the thing, I did 'sneak attack' her.
I saw via another app she posts in that she needed advise for something specific, that I have over a decade of professional experience in so I texted her a simple reminder 'hey I heard you need this.  That is my bread and butter, if you want a second opinion or any suggestions let me know before you dump a ton of money/time into this project of yours'.
She responded and we chatted for 2 hours.

**update** she chatted with me for most of the afternoon/evening last night as well.  Talked about work, how things were going for us in the past month.  She plans to go back to work this weekend. She brought up her depression a few times so I told her to let out whatever she wanted.
She said she hit rock bottom, that when the weather starts getting nice she always starts acting up, that she had contemplated ending her life during a drunken coping fit.  She said she wants to start eating better because she's been eating very little and always fast food since she's scared to go outside. 
I asked her if she set up an appointment with a new therapist for when the apocalypse ends, she insisted she wants to 'get through it herself'  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post)
I let her know that she doesn't have to deal with all of this alone, no matter how big or small the help I'd be willing to try.  She said she wants to be able to depend on herself.  I reminded her that the thing I respected most of all about her was her success despite her struggles on her own, and that even at their best, most people can't succeed alone.  To need or accept help during a bad time isn't a failing or something to be ashamed of, its just life.
She thanked me and said that she really needed that.

With any hope she'll take it to heart and she'll be able to start a good upswing.  I won't try to push her, but I will be less afraid to send her a message every once in a while.  Maybe some memes will cheer her up or something.  I'll figure it out when I wake up in the afternoon.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2020, 03:38:47 AM »

The details aren't important.  This situation is very different.  The issue comes with my tendency to be nostalgic and to try to recapture something that once was when the time for that has long passed because people change, or in some cases, didn't.

i can certainly relate to this. ive struggled similarly in several of my friendships.

heres the thing AAG. youve been through a crisis, and found a support group in the midst of that crisis.

the crucible before you now is to examine how you got here and what needs changing going forward. this tendency to hang on is a double edged sword. it says you feel deeply, and you invest strongly. on the other hand, it suggests you may have difficulty letting go when you need to...whether that means of a person, or of how you interact with that person.

No one thing 'went wrong', she just got into a really bad space and instead of reflecting onto me she decided to isolate.  Is something I did a factor?  Likely.  She started drifting away after I let her know the end of my engagement was finalized/public/official.

i think you may seriously be underestimating the notion that she felt/has felt like "the other woman", and that any woman would struggle mightily with this. she may feel as if she wrecked your marriage. she may look at you differently or have difficulty trusting you. its hard to say.

she may have other things going on, but the foundation your relationship was built on is a significant factor.

Excerpt
I'll figure it out when I wake up in the afternoon.

whats the plan?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
AnAwkwardGeek

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2020, 06:23:51 AM »

whats the plan?
I woke up late and had to head right to work after waking up so I didn't have time to plan much of anything, instead using that as an icebreaker to start some idle conversation.  She went out shopping today and is going to start meal planning again.  I cheered her on a bit.  We mutually complained about work a bit (so cathartic) and she faded out around my break time as usual.

I'm just going to have to remind myself that I have already done what I needed to do to win her affections and its only a matter of deciding when she'll be ready for us to come up with a plan for down the road.  I'm thinking when she seems ready I'll suggest that we don't have to chat about any deep stuff and that conversation can wait until I visit her, it might be less stressful to do that sort of thing in person and me visiting has always been on the table, the only question was when.  Like I said earlier, I'm going to take it slow/easy.  Her keeping pace and actually going back to work this weekend should be the focus, after that its figuring out if she feels refreshed doing something productive or if work is still a source of stress.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2020, 11:09:29 PM »

I'm just going to have to remind myself that I have already done what I needed to do to win her affections and its only a matter of deciding when she'll be ready for us to come up with a plan for down the road. 

AAG, im not sure about this as a perspective, or a strategy.

you had her affections. then things got complicated. and then you didnt speak for many weeks. i would not expect that this is a relationship that has just been on ice for a while and will just pick up steam soon.

it sounds like the two of you broke up, full stop. and now youre in an awkward phase of reconnecting. do you see it that way?

within that awkward phase of reconnecting is a window to get back together, usually. but you really have to play the right cards. and then you have to have a long term strategy for what is going to be very different this time, and make it work.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
AnAwkwardGeek

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2020, 04:08:08 PM »

::EPILOGUE::
Life has to go on.

She went silent again for another week, gave a short 3 word response a week ago.  Got prepared to be patient again, for all I knew she was relapsing already.  Then a day later she began live streaming her games.  Her streams would last up to 6 hours, she'd be laughing, giggling, smiling, she had friends over all weekend that appeared on stream with her.  She's doing ok.  She simply doesn't want to communicate with *me*.

3 months.  Today marks 3 months to the day that we became a couple, and since that day we haven't spoken once aside from texting.  I sent her a text explaining that what she was doing wasn't fair, pointed out to her that she told me she'd never hurt me but now she's hurting me greatly. 
I told her how much time these past 3 months was wasted, all of the things that we could have done together. 
I told her what hurt the most was her warning that she'd be too clingy etc. with me and that I'd feel smothered by her and the reality being her distance and dismissiveness.
Her response was to block me.

I don't really care how other people approach long distance, I'm going to stand on my own principles.  Its been an entire season and I'm not a step closer to anything productive than the day she left.  That's my hard line.  I deserve better.

I'm done.  Thankfully in my personal life I didn't allow my obsession to completely destroy everything around me.  The bridges are damaged but salvageable and I am going to focus on the task of repairing them.

If by some chance in the distant future she decides to message me, I'll be frank with her, no less than one entire season of constant attention would even get me to consider rekindling any type of relationship with her.  Since I know this is something that will never happen, I'm aware that I've already said my last words to her.  As I type this up... I'm ok with this.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2020, 01:10:10 AM »

fair enough.

how are you holding up right now?

GoblinMom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2020, 04:40:26 AM »

I suggest, as they always say here, that you take care of you.  You deserve to feel better.

chronic self-esteem issues,
issues with relationships
sensitivity to rejection
it left me depressed for a month
fear of being alone
anxiety
Aspergers
said "I love you" many times on the first date (love bombing)
feeling like soulmates
We laughed, and cried, I expressed to her how I had never felt closer to anyone in my entire life
causing me to have minor breakdowns daily due to separation anxiety.
horrible feeling that something bad is going to happen
secretgirl

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2020, 06:40:05 AM »

Hi AAG, I haven’t written on here for a while I’ve been busy with my own bpd bf Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) but all I can tell you is that I remember when I first got with him this was a source of comfort for me and I remember the first time he ignored me I went insane and drove myself crazy asking questions like why? What did I do? Etc

I put in so much effort trying and exhausted myself. All I can tell you that’s worked for me is just to let them be... I don’t know if this helps much but usually something triggers my bf or we fight and instead of how a normal couple both sits and listens it’s almost like him taking space is a way to calm down ... I find the harder I push against it, the worse it gets. So I calmly just do what I do in my normal life and he eventually messages me each time. I know it’s hard but usually I send one message to sum up all my feelings now , my expectations while also letting him know I still love him.
At the end of the day, we can’t change ppl especially if they refuse to get help. We can only help ourselves. So it IS your decision to stay or not but you must also think about your mental health.

If you were to stay with this girl, you’d have to first come at it from the approach that maybe this is how she deals with arguments ? You can’t change her at least not expect her to change drastically so quickly ... maybe over time it’ll change as you two adapt as my bf and I have ... and maybe it won’t ever change.
That’s life.
Also think about it from a non bpd perspective , wouldn’t you be annoyed if you asked for space and someone kept hounding you? (Not to sound disrespectful at all!) just if anything , it would have the opposite effect for me personally ... I’d get annoyed and wouldn’t want to be with them that much more (probably not what you want to hear) BUT as OR usually gives advice from a non bpd POV (which has helped me immensely ), it’s important to view their problems as normal problems we’d have also... just they take it to the extreme.

I hope this helps a little ... I just went through another ST episode for four days but I have noticed The more I leave him alone during these times now, the faster he comes back to me. I think giving someone in general space is a good thing. It allows them to think the issue through on their own time and with their own thoughts : which is healthy. If you keep texting it almost disrupts her thinking in a way.

Don’t get me wrong , it’s not bad to just see how she is or want to check in to show you care... but I’d say one message stating everything you’d like to say and then leaving it be would be more sufficient than constantly texting updates. Smiling (click to insert in post)
At the end of the day, if YOU decide to leave , everyone here and I’m sure in your personal life will support you. Because it is also your decision as much as hers to be with her.
AnAwkwardGeek

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2020, 12:09:29 AM »

I got my closure last night.  It wasn't even something planned but it happened.

I wasn't planning on making any type of contact with her again, but while I was on breakday looking at social media I had a notification from an account of hers that I suppose she forgot to block me on and she was live streaming so out of morbid curiosity I decided to watch whatever she was streaming.

She was drunk with one of her sisters and in a Skype chat or Discord chat or some other type of chat with her other two sisters and none of them even realized that they were live.  I suppose she accidentally clicked the button or something so you could say this was a "hot mic" moment.

Without getting too explicit into the things that they were discussing, I discovered that she still wasn't going to work and was on the verge of being fired because she ran out of time off to use.  She has a local boyfriend where she is working, two other ex-boyfriends that she was regularly shacking up with at her hometown, and that she had been turning tricks with at least two others for extra money to go to the dispensary.

So I decided to just go for it. I typed up in the chat "wow, I guess I really did dodge a bullet after all."
She looked at the chat and said "yes you totally did", before realizing her private conversation wasn't so private.

I sent another message along the lines of just telling her she shouldn't do wasted our time and just told me she wasn't interested in a relationship with me.  She said she wasn't going to respond to me anymore.
So I simply finished with "well I need to get back to work now, enjoy the rest of your life." And then her smile disappeared off of her face, she grabbed a handful of her hair and started smelling it - her trigger tic - and then stoped the stream.

It was extremely cathartic and I feel like a great weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. I wasn't being snarky or sarcastic when I told her that I had dodged a bullet and now I know got a big part of me had desperately wanted to be her savior. You can't save somebody who doesn't want to be saved though, so I am no longer going to put myself through the torture of trying to have her be my responsibility.

Next step is to go to the doctor and get tested   Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)
Don’t get me wrong , it’s not bad to just see how she is or want to check in to show you care... but I’d say one message stating everything you’d like to say and then leaving it be would be more sufficient than constantly texting updates. Smiling (click to insert in post)
At the end of the day, if YOU decide to leave , everyone here and I’m sure in your personal life will support you. Because it is also your decision as much as hers to be with her.
Nah, no more updates. No more begging. No more telling her how I feel. I've actually been doing my best to forget her and move on. Our perfect day together felt too good to be true and that's simply how it turned out to be.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2020, 12:17:20 AM »

Excerpt
I've never been good with women and because of that I have chronic self-esteem issues,

AAG, do you think some of this is over compensating for the pain of being in this position and waiting it out?

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest