Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 29, 2024, 12:29:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Medication - Vyraylar?  (Read 440 times)
mcat1

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: living together

« on: May 29, 2020, 03:28:15 PM »

My daughter has been struggling since she was young. She was diagnosed with BPD about a year ago. We have run the gambit On medications. She is now trying Vyraylar but it is keeping her from getting much sleep. Has anyone had any experience with this med?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 04:03:00 PM by Harri, Reason: changed title pursuant to guideline 1.5 » Logged
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 08:57:39 PM »

Hi  mcat1:
Check out the manuf. link below.  It has a lot of info about side effects (Read the "Important Risk Info" section at the bottom of the page:
https://www.vraylar.com/bipolar-faq

One of the common side effects is restlessness, which could affect sleep.  Another thing to be cautious of is Increased body temperature (Do not become too hot or dehydrated during VRAYLAR treatment).

There is a caution stated about tardive dyskinesia or TD.  If you aren't aware of this possibility, you might want to read about it.

It's good to know about meds your daughter takes. People can have a different experience with meds (and at given doses) If the med ends up helping her mental health, you have to weigh the benefit versus the risks.  That would be something to discuss with her doctor (psychiatrist?).

With Summer around the corner, you daughter should be cautioned about keeping hydrated and taking precautions to NOT get too hot.  This med can make her more susceptible to heat exhaustion or heat stroke.

If you haven't already done this, I understand that a test can determine what class of psychiatric meds she would likely be most receptive to.

Roseglow

Relationship status: mother

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 08:39:19 PM »

It's so confusing ... and every med affects individuals differnet ways.
My daughter has been on so many meds, combinations of meds, etc. She has had them combined with therapy, but I don't think we found the right therapist with the right diagnosis.
Some of the reading I have done states that medication sometimes makes BPd worse... I have seen his in my daughter and believe me we have tried the formlary.

What I am finding is helping a little is for her to get out in nature every day, for her to get regular sleep, of course to eat healthy... meat, dairy and glutin seem to be not good for her.  Also, for me to let her figure things out herself as many of what I saw as supportive, really seemed to escalate her. 
Each parent has to try many different things.  My heart goes out to you.  Chin up, you are among "family" here who get it.  Take Care of yourself as you are the anchor to your family :~)
Yepanotherone

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 01:22:26 AM »

My daughter was at one point completely snowed with medications and could barely function. She was on various cocktails at varying doses, of meds such as Wellbutrin, lamotrigine, Trileptal and Abilify. She had all sorts of side effects including The development of involuntary eye movements , difficulty sleeping, weight gain, paranoia, and akisthesia.
During her last hospitalization she decided she was no longer going to take any medication at all as she felt none of them helped and indeed she said she felt absolutely no emotion whatsoever, felt completely numb to anything and everything. Drs wanted her to try lithium but she dug her heels in and refused. From that day forward, she started on her road to recovery. I truelly believe all the psych medications made her worse.
She does use marijuana regularly to help her anxiety we live in Colorado where pretty much everyone uses it! I’d far rather she use marijuana than all the prescription drugs she was on, because none of them helped her.

incadove

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 04:52:53 PM »

Yeah I don't have experience with all those medications - I do think sometimes antidepressants are helpful.

I'm glad you found nature to be healing that sounds wonderful.

If they want to and are responsible enough I think pets - a dog in particular, from a puppy when it will bond strongly - can be really valuable.

Roseglow

Relationship status: mother

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 09:22:43 PM »

Agree with the "pet connection.' My daughters dog has done more for her than any of the 7 psychiatrists she has seen. Unconditional love, good listeners... maybe all us parents should get a pup!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest