Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 09:29:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Psychological Evaluations  (Read 415 times)
alleyesonme

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorcing

« on: August 02, 2020, 08:13:07 PM »

We're currently getting one of these set up for my stbEX.

What are some experiences you guys have had with these?

I'm hopeful of some sort of significant diagnosis, which can then be bolstered by an expert that can testify as to the dangers of someone like that raising a child, tying everything back to my stbEX's patterns of behavior.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 09:05:22 PM »

Often the perspective in a protection order is that one is the victim and the other the alleged abuser.  So a psych order often only is directed at one spouse not both.  If you're the victim, and the other is being assessed, that's fine.  However, if you've been framed as the bad guy/gal then you will want the other person assessed too, not just you.

One problem is that while it does reveal an overview of a person's mental state, it may be difficult to apply it to how it impacts the other spouse or how much it impacts the children.  For example, my psych eval was administered by a college grad student during one two hour session at the county's mental health center.  By the way, it was rather correct that I had anxiety. Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)  (Below is an excerpt from one of my long posts that discusses the differences between psych and custody evals, follow the link to read the entire post.)

When the idea of a psych eval is mentioned in the early stages of separation or divorce, understand it is often of limited benefit.  If it succeeds.  My spouse and I were ordered to have one.  I complied.  To this day nearly 15 years later I still don't know whether she took her psych eval.  That was one of my first lessons.  Never comply with submission of results until the other parent also complies.  My lawyer should have informed her lawyer, "My client has completed his required testing.  We are ready to exchange results."

The better evaluation is an in-depth custody evaluation by a very experienced and respected professional, usually done in the middle of the divorce process.  A CE can be marvelous or disastrous depending on the ability or gullibility of the evaluator.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 09:11:37 PM by ForeverDad » Logged

worriedStepmom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 09:09:39 AM »

The psych eval is only as good as the person performing it.  A friend whose ex has previously been diagnosed with NPD was ordered to have a psych eval.  The psychiatrist talked to the NPDex, ex's GF, and ex's parent.  Took everything NPDex said at face value (no checking with my friend or other professionals NPDex had worked with; half of what the guy said were blatant lies).  NPDex had practiced taking the diagnostic tests, so he ended up with a pretty decent evaluation of normal.  The court threw out the eval when GF admitted they had practiced it.

Hopefully your STBX's will be higher quality.
scraps66

Relationship status: Separated 9/2008, living apart since 1/2010

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 11:54:47 AM »

Find the best, most respected forensic psychologist in your area that does court-ordered work.  I will tell my story later.  As Foreverdad said, mine was quite validating.  Showed the things I was feeling...and that I wasn't crazy! 
scraps66

Relationship status: Separated 9/2008, living apart since 1/2010

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 11:57:05 AM »

And the eval should be to an MMPI-II.  This is like a 600 question questionnaire and then the psych evaluates the results.  This should be spelled out in the Order possibly.  The Order should state the the eval is being levied due to suspicions of abuse to give the doc something to go on, or for custody purposes.  Then the doc will select a number of tests that will be used to corroborate the MMPI-II results.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 04:07:52 PM »

I learned the hard way that you have to specifically ask for the MMPI-2 (I think ForeverDad mentioned in another post that there is now an MMPI-3). My motion requested a psychiatric/medical evaluation and while that did lead to a forensic psychiatric evaluation, it wasn't the MMPI-2 (which is what was available at the time).

Instead, we had a forensic psychiatrist spend four sessions of roughly 3 hours each interviewing n/BPDx (following a psychotic episode, so it was for him only). The psychiatrist wrote a 12 -page report that didn't conclude in a dx, although it did provide a pretty damning and thorough summary of n/BPDx's emotional and psychological limitations. I believe her last paragraph said, "A PD cannot be ruled out and further evaluation is recommended."

With the MMPI-2, many questions are asked in a variety of ways that are not always evident to the test taker. And even more important, if someone tries to present a false front, that tends to show up in the results. The test has been validated many times so it can show that it's statistically less likely for people to represent themselves in a way that is not likely to be common in the population. I believe one member here had a spouse whose results were that she "presented falsely."

Sometimes the fear of too much sunshine can create magnificent stonewalling on behalf of the BPD sufferer. You may want to request not only the MMPI-2, but also that it be completed by day/date. Have your attorney offer three forensic psychiatrists certified to administer that particular test (that you have vetted), and your spouse can then choose from one. It's common for the opposing party's results to not be made available to you, altho the judge and other lawyer will see them.

My L was permitted to read the report to me but I was not allowed to look at the report or have a copy of it. My ex has a strong narcissistic streak and he found parts of the report flattering so he gladly allowed me to have a copy of his report. He was referred to in the report as having above-average intelligence, dressed nicely, looked younger than his years, and had a variety of hobbies at which he appeared to have excelled.

If your spouse is likely to stonewall and not do the eval, perhaps think of reasonable consequences for non-compliance. I don't know what would make sense in your case, but as an example, in mine we made compliance in the eval contingent on discussing changes to visitation. My ex dysregulated one night and had what was likely a psychotic episode (with help from ambien and god knows what else) and visitation was reduced to four hours a day Saturday and Sunday. He wanted overnights. He also liked representing himself in court (negative engagement was better than being ignored for him).

These evals tend to carry more weight when there is additional documentation to go with them, and if you have a third-party professional willing to testify, that's often the trifecta.

Even so, if you do have all that, be prepared for so much dithering from the courts it will set your hair on fire. I didn't seem to get the mom bias often discussed here, probably because my ex was an attorney and he seemed to get the white collar one-of-us discount that came with being part of the professional circle. He was given five and six and seven bites of the apple until I was finally given full custody four years later. Even a judge ordering a gatekeeping order to prevent frivolous motions being filed against me didn't stop the once a month on average trip to court.

We had the psychiatric evals, shocking amounts of email documentation (10K emails and counting), accusations of lying from n/BPDx (to the judge's face, mind you), n/BPDx's own lawyer withdrawing from the case, our parenting coordinator withdrawing from the case, a stunning refusal to comply with even the most minor parts of our divorce agreement (even when it would benefit n/BPDx to comply), threats to report everyone to their professional boards, doubling up of bailiff's during our once-monthly court appearances, loss of four appeals, refusal to pay legal fees, and the above-mentioned gatekeeping order that is essentially worth nothing when the court issuing it will not enforce it  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post))

In other words, pace yourself  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

I ended up with a positive outcome finally, mostly because I am nothing if not tenacious and according to my L a credible witness. I began to depersonalize what was happening and treated it like a medical condition that I might have for life.

Feedback and support from this board made all the difference. I'm glad you're here gathering stories so you can navigate this stuff.

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest