Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 07:28:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dumped for no reason  (Read 459 times)
top10point5

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Single

« on: September 08, 2020, 10:04:19 PM »

2 year relationship, which in the beginning she told me she had depressed moments in her life during hard times and people would abandon her, ghost her, and how she would feel so hurt that she would shut down and push people away that cared the most for.

Despite all of that I loved her. I treated her like a queen, her best/most stable relationship, her friends and family loved me. Her friends loved the way I treated her and always making comments how they wish their bf would treat them the same.

The relationship moved fast for 2 years, full of passion, she was a bit clingy, but I didn't mind. She had some depressed episodes, but usually they would last a couple days, but I would be able to help her feel better.

Very loving girlfriend, cooks, cleans for me, tells me she loves me, and can't wait to get married and move-in together. We were like a perfect match.

June: Relationship got stronger, started to spend more time with each others family, spent more time with one another, and overall great future outlook.

July: She started being stressed out (work, school, & family issues), started becoming more distant, but I thought it was just one of her depressed/anxious episodes and that things would be better.

Beg-August: Announced out of nowhere we need to take a break, pause our relationship, too many stressors right now. We can remain friends and still go on dates. I gave her space and went no contact, she got mad and said I didn't want to be her friend and made her feel lonely. Still distant and slow to respond to text.

Mid-August: Went on first hang out since the break. At the end of the night she said it's best we completely break up, but remain friends and hang out. Said she doesn't want to be a burden to me, to bring me down into her issues, I would be happier with someone-else, and that she still feels depressed. Even after breaking up, held my hands, hugged me multiple times, and was still calling me babes. Still distant and slow to respond to text.

September: Even though she asked that we remain friends and have no tension between us, she hardly responds to my text, hot and cold behavior, unfollowed me on social media, asked for her stuff back, and pretty much ghosted me/pushed me away.

I don't know if she only has BPD or depression or combo of both. I'm still in a state of shocked

I went from the love of her life, to being discarded and treated like an enemy.

I accepted the friendship because I know she was truly going through a hard time and when I was having work stress and lost a family member she was there for me. I'm just so shocked how I can become her enemy without doing anything.

Is this her depression/anxiety/BPD causing her to self-sabotage our relationship?

Do you think she will try to comeback? We share mutual friends and will run into each other often.

Should I do no contact? Although she pushed me away, since she's going through a depression state I know that it will confirm in her mind that I truly never cared for her .

Idc for the relationship at this point, but would at least like to support her to heal.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Waddams

Relationship status: Living single, dating wonderful woman now

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 11:20:36 PM »

She just fired you from a helping role in her life, dude. Seriously, she's cut off contact. And you know what, she's allowed to do that. You don't have a right to be in her life. Even if she's messed up, you don't have the right. Even if she's making bad decisions, she's got a right to make bad decisions, and she doesn't owe you an explanation.

I highly suggest you accept this and move on yourself.

Now - in terms of will she re-initiate contact or anything? Put it to you this way - in order for her to reverse her current direction, she has to miss you. In order to miss you, she has to have distance from you and not be in contact. It doesn't hurt if she runs into you out and about via mutual connections in the future that you have done the self work to build yourself into a more attractive version of yourself instead of spending the intervening time trying to rationalize the things you posted about. So the next thing I highly suggest you do as you move on is go look in a mirror and start working on you first and foremost, and stop worrying about her.

And know this too - usually after a period of work and personal growth, when an ex- tries to re-enter the picture, especially if they are same old, messed up ex- (which they almost always are), you won't be interested. You'll be interested in finding someone new instead that doesn't have the baggage the ex- like this woman has, and you'll be better off for it.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 10:09:22 AM »

It sounds as if you’d still like some level of connection to her, or would be interested should she reappear. For that reason, I’m going to move your post to the Bettering Board. There you can learn strategies to navigate a relationship with a partner who has BPD, should that happen in the future.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 02:11:29 AM »

one of the first steps in reversing a breakup is understanding what went wrong, and going in (if possible) with a very different game plan.

what went wrong, in this case, is a bit hard to say from what details you have provided. it may be that ultimately she decided the two of you were not a match. it may have been the right relationship at the wrong time. it may have been growing apart. it may have been something(s) bothering her that you were never aware of.

did she ever voice any issues with the relationship? that is where i would start.

Excerpt
Do you think she will try to comeback? We share mutual friends and will run into each other often.

Should I do no contact? Although she pushed me away, since she's going through a depression state I know that it will confirm in her mind that I truly never cared for her .

remaining friends, real friends, is relatively rare after a breakup. often times, its a way to soothe the grieving process, but not something that most people follow through with. and when they do, the relationship changes dramatically. im friends with some exes...its nothing at all like when i dated them, or even when i was friends with them before i dated them.

and when a real friendship does occur, its usually after a period of space to grieve.

shes signaling that she needs space big time. right now, youre more than likely taking this day by day, and analyzing each interaction. shes not in the same place. more than likely, she wants you and the relationship out of her head and her daily life for the time being. that doesnt have to be the end of the world, or mean anything bad for you long term, necessarily. its just where she is right now.

no contact is a detaching tool for someone trying to grieve the relationship. think more in terms of giving space; a lot of it.

i would not reach out any more, at all, for the time being. more than likely, she will eventually, tentatively touch base. in the event that she does, you dont want to smother her with love or support. match her energy level. dont over pursue.

Excerpt
hot and cold behavior

this may happen. do your best not to get caught up or confused by it. people with bpd traits are generally awful about the boundaries in a natural transition from a romantic relationship to a friendship, or an all out breakup for that matter.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
top10point5

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 11:26:07 AM »

one of the first steps in reversing a breakup is understanding what went wrong, and going in (if possible) with a very different game plan.

what went wrong, in this case, is a bit hard to say from what details you have provided. it may be that ultimately she decided the two of you were not a match. it may have been the right relationship at the wrong time. it may have been growing apart. it may have been something(s) bothering her that you were never aware of.

did she ever voice any issues with the relationship? that is where i would start.

remaining friends, real friends, is relatively rare after a breakup. often times, its a way to soothe the grieving process, but not something that most people follow through with. and when they do, the relationship changes dramatically. im friends with some exes...its nothing at all like when i dated them, or even when i was friends with them before i dated them.

and when a real friendship does occur, its usually after a period of space to grieve.

shes signaling that she needs space big time. right now, youre more than likely taking this day by day, and analyzing each interaction. shes not in the same place. more than likely, she wants you and the relationship out of her head and her daily life for the time being. that doesnt have to be the end of the world, or mean anything bad for you long term, necessarily. its just where she is right now.

no contact is a detaching tool for someone trying to grieve the relationship. think more in terms of giving space; a lot of it.

i would not reach out any more, at all, for the time being. more than likely, she will eventually, tentatively touch base. in the event that she does, you dont want to smother her with love or support. match her energy level. dont over pursue.

this may happen. do your best not to get caught up or confused by it. people with bpd traits are generally awful about the boundaries in a natural transition from a romantic relationship to a friendship, or an all out breakup for that matter.

Thanks for your response.
What went wrong?

1. 3 weeks prior to the breakup we spent a lot of time together, most of anytime throughout our relationship and I got very close to her family. One day we went out for lunch, I didn't realize I did it, but I was more quiet than usual, I think it had to due with me being exhausted from the vacation we just came back from. The next day she asked to have a talk about it and said it made her worry and asked if something is wrong. She's mentioned in the past that she was afraid of me losing interest and her being insecure about our relationship. I think this triggered something in her.

2.That same week all her stressors went through the roof. Someone at her job quit, so her workload went up, her family member got hospitalized, and her school load increased. She told me she started feeling overwhelmed, stressed out, and depressed. She slowly started distancing herself more and more.

TBH in my opinion the stressors played a bigger part of the breakup, but #1 helped pushed her over the edge, since she can sometimes overreact and blow small things out of proportion.

As far as space, what is confusing is the hot and cold behavior. I gave her space and didn't contact her for a day after the breakup, I got an angry text saying that I don't care about her and that I don't want to be her friend and support her. Because of her depression/bpd I didn't want to appear like I abandon her, she also told me she was scared I would never speak to her again. I've been low contact, sometimes she's quick to respond, other times takes hours/a day, other times no response at all.

Right now i'm stuck in the push pull cycle. If I step back too much it looks like I don't care, but if I come too close, she feels smothered. The real life I hate you, don't leave me.

I didn't want to add too many personal details, but we have ties, very mutual friends, and family members that are close, so we will always be apart of each others lives somehow. That's also why I don't want to abandon her in her time of need, plus she was there for me when I needed her.

She's also a bit ashamed/guilt over the breakup and told me she doesn't want people to know. At least for now.

I think it's for the fact that I was a great bf, friends and family loved me, she would always tell them how great I treat her and outside of the depression, which she hides from people, there's not a real reason to break up with me.

Also it her idea to remain friends and asked that I take her out sometimes, since she's in a depressed/unhappy state and wants my support.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 04:47:01 AM »

Excerpt
TBH in my opinion the stressors played a bigger part of the breakup,

youre probably right about this. people with bpd traits just dont do stress well. sometimes, the best of relationships dont either.

Excerpt
As far as space, what is confusing is the hot and cold behavior. I gave her space and didn't contact her for a day after the breakup, I got an angry text saying that I don't care about her and that I don't want to be her friend and support her. Because of her depression/bpd I didn't want to appear like I abandon her, she also told me she was scared I would never speak to her again. I've been low contact, sometimes she's quick to respond, other times takes hours/a day, other times no response at all.

Right now i'm stuck in the push pull cycle. If I step back too much it looks like I don't care, but if I come too close, she feels smothered. The real life I hate you, don't leave me.

the long and short of it is that you wont succeed in trying to navigate this by playing to her moods, emotions, or the cycles. thats a rabbit hole.

going a bit deeper...

as i touched on, when a relationship tries to transition into a friendship, its an awkward, complex, and complicated thing. it undergoes a certain level of detachment, and reemerges into something very different.

as a (recent) former romantic partner, at the end of the day, you really arent in a position to be her support system. moreover, as it pertains to your goals, its not a strategy that will help you get her back. its one that will confuse you, and confuse her.

this is from an article on surviving a breakup (detaching) but it applies, just the same:

Excerpt
9) Belief that you need to stay to help them.

You might want to stay to help your partner. You might want to disclose to them that they have borderline personality disorder and help them get into therapy. Maybe you want to help in other ways while still maintaining a “friendship”. The fact is, we are no longer in a position to be the caretaker and support person for our “BPD” partner – no matter how well intentioned. Understand that we have become the trigger for our partner’s bad feelings and bad behavior. Sure, we do not deliberately cause these feelings, but your presence is now triggering them. This is a complex defense mechanism that is often seen with borderline personality disorder when a relationship sours. It’s roots emanate from the deep core wounds associated with the disorder. We can’t begin to answer to this. We also need to question our own motives and your expectations for wanting to help. Is this kindness or a type of “well intentioned” manipulation on your part - an attempt to change them to better serve the relationship as opposed to addressing the lifelong wounds from which they suffer? More importantly, what does this suggest about our own survival instincts – we’re injured, in ways we may not even fully grasp, and it’s important to attend to our own wounds before we attempt to help anyone else. You are damaged. Right now, your primary responsibility really needs to be to yourself – your own emotional survival. If your partner tries to lean on you, it’s a greater kindness that you step away. Difficult, no doubt, but more responsible.

thats a long way of saying that in order to navigate this, you need to do two things:

1. tend your own wounds
2. if you want to be a supportive role in her life, you may need to redefine what that means, in this new, and very different context.

you wont get her back by wearing your heart on your sleeve, proclaiming your support, proving your love. in this new context, she will see that as clingy, as not accepting the breakup or respecting yourself, she may be confused (hot or cold), and frankly, it will keep you stuck.

shifting the dynamics wont be easy, but its what is needed if there is a chance of reconciliation. i get it. you dont want to be JUST friends with her, but neither do you want to send the signal that youve kicked her the curb; you care about her, and theres a long history. you can achieve that, while sending the signal of what you do and dont want.

to be clear, this isnt a method that is guaranteed to get her back; there is no such thing, and coming to terms with that is imperative. its a method that plays your best cards.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest