Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 02:41:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to Realistically Think of College for BPD Highschool Senior  (Read 365 times)
robinsegg
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: married

« on: September 28, 2020, 08:08:15 AM »

First time posting.

Hoping to hear from you who have an adult child with BPD, and especially if they "successfully," completed college and weathered BPD-type setbacks while in school.

My daughter is 17 and a senior in high school. She meets the criteria for BPD. Her psychiatrist was careful not to "label," her, yet I appreciate when she said, "I want you to read some information about BPD, and tell me what you think." I think - it was a kind way to start me towards getting educated on what was happening with my daughter..,and that was 9th grade.  She self-harmed, was suicidal and would have profound bouts of depression. She wouldn't sleep but a few hours a night, as she had extreme fears. She was hospitalized for three weeks. We started DBT about a month after her discharge and figured out her medication to include a mood stabilizer. We were dealing with all of this when she was later diagnosed with Tourette's.

We transferred her from a high school that was competitive high-stress environment into a smaller high school which was/is a much better fit. To our amazement she blossomed. She won awards (acting, writing), made good friends and though she had some ups and downs, she could consistently over time, do well in school. She's even become an advocate - explaining Tourette's to her friends and to teachers. She has friends who struggle with mental health and they come to HER, and I've overheard her advice and to my surprise, it's good advice, right on the money. It seemed she was soaking-in what she's learned about herself or so it would seem.

She admitted feeling suicidal during a lull in the summer, so we stepped up her therapy appointments from once to twice a week. I understand that she may always have the thought - like a default feeling re: suicide, and at her best she can tell her brain, "thanks for sharing, I wont' be doing that." I've noticed that she consistently needs something to do to fight of depression: something or someone to look forward to. We found a virtual creative outlet over the summer and she loved it. We just started another round of DBT last week (first time was 2 years ago).  She's had some rapid-cycling moods, and while that may be more of a bi-polar type of aspect, her other symptoms are of a BPD nature (chronic emptiness, fear of abandonment, etc.). Hoping the increased mood-stabilizer can help.

Right now, I'm seeing some troubling behavior...doing things to excess, missing assignments, and marijuana use (on the weekend but still). Deciding to stay up all night on a Saturday and skipping the mood stabilizer, since it's sedating.

So here we are at 17. She has these dreams of going away to college and knows what she wants to pursue. While things were evening out last year, I thought it could happen. I figured she'd have challenges, but it seemed a possibility. Now I wonder, if she will get in the way of her own dreams. Do I have to mandate that she cannot go away to school.

I don't want to give up hope. Yet I now wonder how this can all come together. As I mentioned earlier, I'd very much appreciate hearing from those of you who have an adult child with BPD, and especially if they "successfully," completed college and weathered BPD-type setbacks while in school. I see now that I have to leave room for things to "go south," and yet I don't want to totally invalidate her dreams. She wants to attend a college in Philadelphia, *only* 2 hours away. While we feel like we're doing all we can to support her, it's exhausting. I want to be realistic yet I don't want to "catastrophize," - which is hard for me, not to do.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Swimmy55
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 09:55:47 AM »

Hi Robinsegg,
 Welcome and please click on my name for my previous posts as I have a BPD son that did complete college.  
In short, having my son go to college was a decision he and his mental health team discussed first, then us parents came on board.  In addition, he soon ( when he turned 18) ditched all mental health team / efforts as he felt "he didn't need them".  
It can be done, but lower your expectations  and yes, there were setbacks.  

In addition, you have to look at your values, your $ situation, etc.  Keep in mind even "normal" kids have trouble in college and may not complete it.
I also want to add there are no guarantees and you have to learn / grow into being ok with that.   One step , one day at a time...

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest