Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 03:00:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for strategies and support  (Read 388 times)
adaptable

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: parent

« on: April 13, 2021, 10:13:53 AM »

We are a family that has a newly diagnosed BPD, teen. We are looking for support and any ideas on communication, boundaries, how to assist our teen and self care. Feeling pretty scared and confused.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
kitty1961

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: living with me

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 09:00:09 AM »

I understand your fear and confusion. We've been doing this for 25 years. (33 year old D)

I can tell you dealing with my D as a teen was very difficult, basically we just tried to keep her alive
Running away,drugs, suicide attempts . Honestly I don't know how we made it through.

My d is on disability, doesn't work or go to school and has a hard time managing day to day tasks.

May I ask what lead to your daughters diagnosis? I feel like it makes a difference how to proceed

KBug

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: living together part time

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 02:34:49 PM »

I'm sorry that you are going through all this turmoil. BPD in teens is tough. My best advice is to take care of yourself and your relationship with your spouse first. You will need a solid foundation and an emotional refuge to support you through the next few years. See your own therapist who is knowledgeable about BPD to help you understand and cope with what's going on.

Use the 3 Cs as a mantra to yourself when things get tough: I didn't cause it, I can't control it, and I can't cure it. Choose your battles.  Set firm boundaries for the things that matter the most (safety, your well being, verbal/physical abuse, etc), and don't sweat the small stuff. Know that it's okay to be angry and not like someone who is verbally/physically abusive to you.

Create a hidey-hole for yourself where you can go when you are feeling overwhelmed.  I put a lock on my bedroom door.  I have a good reading spot there. It's okay to say, "I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now," or "I need some time to give you my best response to what you just said," etc and then go off into your hidey-hole for some peace. Get noise cancelling headphones if these actions are likely to result in angry outbursts. Practice meditation or other forms of mindfulness to help yourself not get too wrapped up in the intensity of emotion coming from your BPD.
adaptable

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 03:03:57 PM »

Thank you both for posting. She has been dx with bipolar ( ruling out psychotic features) and borderline traits ( resulting from 2 separate trauma incidents).

We have been searching for an accurate diagnosis for a year. Things escalated 2 weeks ago when she fell into a full blown manic episode, that ended with her taking several old prescription pills ( lexapro and seroquel). We made her throw them up and took her to a local hospital. The ER social worker was incredible.. saw the mania right away. Borderline traits dx came after the assessment.  Our daughter feels it is right, can even recognize when she is trapped in the borderline thinking/perspective ( at times). Trying to figure out the meds for the bi=polar symptoms.
adaptable

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 03:06:00 PM »

the suggestions on self care are appreciated. We are having a hard time finding a therapist to work with my husband and I on how to re-structure the home for borderline traits. Everyone is full!  We will keep looking, we are going to do the NAMI online groups and we are reading books. We find that we are getting better at the ebb and flow of the traits and can tag team each other if needed.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest