Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 06:47:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm a horrible person  (Read 408 times)
Atlas2020

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: broken up

« on: May 28, 2021, 02:24:34 PM »

I've posted on another thread but things have gone down hill since then. I was seeing a guy with bpd (his admission) and everything was going great at first. I met a couple that he's friends with a few weekends ago and became friendly with them. He started acting off (not the first time) and quit talking to me for a few days. I was concerned and went to one of those friends for advice. He was there when I got there doing some work at their house and seemed fine that I was there. After a while he started acting extremely paranoid and by the end of it all he accused me of knowing them and all of it being a plan.

Fast forward to now. He cut me out after going off on me last week and refused to talk to me. This past tuesday I contacted the friend to see if he had finished the work he was doing (he's a great painter). I wanted to see a picture of it.  She contacted me and told me that he never came back. He apparently has done this before. She says it's not unusual.
He and I started talking again and it was all going well until last night. He brought up what happened and started with the accusations again and it went on into today. He told me that they had called him and told him that they found someone else to finish it and he could come by sometime and get his stuff. I made the now regrettable decision of not telling him that I already knew he didn't go back. I was scared to say anything because he's so paranoid and full of untrue accusations. Plus I knew that he would ask what she said and it wouldn't go over well if he knew what she said.

Now I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm scared he's going to find out I already knew. I know I deserve whatever happens because I should have told him the truth. I've explained to him how special he is to me but it falls on deaf ears because he doubts everything that's said to him when it comes to feeling.
Sappho11

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 05:27:20 PM »

I've posted on another thread but things have gone down hill since then. I was seeing a guy with bpd (his admission) and everything was going great at first. I met a couple that he's friends with a few weekends ago and became friendly with them. He started acting off (not the first time) and quit talking to me for a few days. I was concerned and went to one of those friends for advice. He was there when I got there doing some work at their house and seemed fine that I was there. After a while he started acting extremely paranoid and by the end of it all he accused me of knowing them and all of it being a plan.

Fast forward to now. He cut me out after going off on me last week and refused to talk to me. This past tuesday I contacted the friend to see if he had finished the work he was doing (he's a great painter). I wanted to see a picture of it.  She contacted me and told me that he never came back. He apparently has done this before. She says it's not unusual.
He and I started talking again and it was all going well until last night. He brought up what happened and started with the accusations again and it went on into today. He told me that they had called him and told him that they found someone else to finish it and he could come by sometime and get his stuff. I made the now regrettable decision of not telling him that I already knew he didn't go back. I was scared to say anything because he's so paranoid and full of untrue accusations. Plus I knew that he would ask what she said and it wouldn't go over well if he knew what she said.

Now I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm scared he's going to find out I already knew. I know I deserve whatever happens because I should have told him the truth. I've explained to him how special he is to me but it falls on deaf ears because he doubts everything that's said to him when it comes to feeling.

You're nowhere near being a bad person. You're in the spot I was in three or four months ago, blaming yourself for things that are inconsequential, that aren't your fault, that aren't a bad thing, they're just circumstances. From what I can glean from your story, you haven't done anything wrong.

Don't fret that he's going to find out. Why would it be bad that you knew? There's nothing to be ashamed of.

You're in the middle of the BPD vortex, trying to take responsibility for his feelings. I hate to say it, but this will never improve things. The only thing that might (!) would be to set boundaries and stop taking responsibility for little things that should set no-one off.

Easier said than done, it's true.
Atlas2020

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 07:22:21 PM »

Thank you for that. The reason it will set him off is he had extreme trust issues. He's already accused me of things that aren't true and if he gets a hold of this then he'll freak out for sure.

I don't feel like I did anything wrong, but explaining things to him was and is impossible sometimes.

I
Couper

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 07:47:09 PM »

Thank you for that. The reason it will set him off is he had extreme trust issues. He's already accused me of things that aren't true and if he gets a hold of this then he'll freak out for sure.

I don't feel like I did anything wrong, but explaining things to him was and is impossible sometimes.

That's okay.  You are not obligated to take responsibility for his skewed perception of reality.  Likewise, there is no reason that you should have to skew your own reality to save him from himself.  Just like all of us, he is on his own personal journey through life and hopefully somewhere along the way he'll hit a brick wall and have as much interest in being personally responsible for his own actions as he currently has for blaming everybody else for them.  I think the best thing that any of us can do is try to live as a sterling example of what personal accountability looks like and maybe someday after all of their other tactics have failed, they will want to do the same.

Atlas2020

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 08:15:47 PM »

Thank you.
I'm still learning all this. This place has been a life saver for me when it comes to understanding. It's hard. Very hard. And new. Talking to people on here is a blessing because I don't have anyone else in my life I can talk to.
Red22

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 02:05:44 AM »

Thank you.
I'm still learning all this. This place has been a life saver for me when it comes to understanding. It's hard. Very hard. And new. Talking to people on here is a blessing because I don't have anyone else in my life I can talk to.
Agreed. This is where I'm at, too.
I have people to talk to, but not about this.

Sappho11

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 03:10:22 AM »

What Couper said.

That's one of the hallmarks of this illness, I'm afraid. BPDs live in a different reality; their mind turns everyday occurrences into instances of hurt and rejection; when it gets too bad, they either distort facts or dissociate, which is the reason why they often cannot remember the content of fights afterwards.

There's no counting the arguments I had with my BPDex-boyfriend where he was objectively in the wrong, yet couldn't see it, no matter how obvious. Harmless example, I did all the cooking for him for two months, breakfast, lunch and dinner. He cooked three or four times during that whole time. Once (after I had cooked for him yet again) he broke off a huge fight about him "always" cooking. I couldn't believe my ears. He then seriously demanded I enumerate all the meals I had cooked. Initially I refused, because it was ridiculous! When I finally did list everything (after he had pushed me for half an hour), he was startled and claimed to not remember half of it. I reminded him with situations and moments he had to remember. Then his "argument" suddenly shifted to, "That wasn't cooking, that was only fixing food. I always spent at least an hour in the kitchen, while you only spend half an hour." (I'm simply a more proficient cook.) It was mesmerising, in the worst way.

That, and the lack of self-esteem... no matter how often I assured him that I loved him, that he was special in a million detailed ways -- words of affirmation, physical affection, little acts of love, even artworks dedicated to him -- he would never believe me. It completely burned me out. Another common BPD theme many members here lament.

As for your beau... proceed at your own peril. Not saying it's impossible, but you need to be extremely healthy and almost supernaturally stable in your own self-perception. Be aware that the likelihood of getting hurt is high -- infinitely higher than with a healthy person.

Not to speak for anyone but myself, but... I had qualms about one or two months into my last relationship. I should have left right then. He broke up with me twice during an eight month period and I'm really glad he did, because if he hadn't done it the second time, I'd likely still be stuck in that constant downward spiral of stress and anxiety, headed for a disastrous decade-long or longer marriage and wasting the best years of my life.

You seem to be in great distress, please take care of yourself. Obvious advice is obvious, but now would be a good time to make outside social contacts and start building a support network (even though it might be particularly difficult with your emotional resources likely being depleted). If you want to have this guy in your life, you need at least one healthy person or two around you who'll occasionally give you a reality check. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for madness.
Sappho11

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 03:14:11 AM »

/removed double post.
Atlas2020

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 09:19:27 AM »

I do want him in my life but I'm slowly coming to the realization that it's probably not gonna work. Along with the trust issues he also has extreme paranoia. That's why I didn't tell him I already knew about him not finishing a job he started. If he finds out I contacted the people then it will be bad because he already thinks I was conspiring against him with them when I had just met them the other weekend. That plus the not telling him will be the ultimate death nail in this situation. I'm hoping that he doesn't find out but I can guarantee he probably will because I don't think the freezing them out will last much longer as he's know them for years.
Couper

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 10:29:19 AM »

If you are wanting him I suspect you are only seeing through a filter the parts of him that you want to see.  You have to realize that all of him is going to be a long-term project.  It sounds like you have only really had peripheral access to him. This disorder seems to tick-up with exposure.  Assuming that what you are experiencing right now is his current "normal", are you prepared for the onslaught that is coming if he gets worse once you are living together inside four walls?  Furthermore, I believe in your first post you noted that he is a drug addict.  Fortunately, that is one thing I have not had to contend with in my situation, but having employed those types in the past I can only imagine that makes the issues related to this disorder exponentially worse.  That's not like having too many beers one night and you just sleep it off and restart the next morning.

I hope none of what I said will be taken the wrong way.  I know that you came here looking for support (which this place has in abundance) and my support is rooted in seeing you support yourself.  We all want to help those who want to help themselves, which you have done by coming here desiring to gain a greater understanding of this wretched disorder, but this guy sounds like he is currently at a point in his life where he is at the opposite end of that.

Atlas2020

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2021, 10:50:24 AM »

I completely understand what you're saying and the support is very much appreciated.

Yes he has a drug problem. He doesn't know that I know it. It's been very hard for me to separate how I see him and how he truly is. It breaks me to see such a good person have such a hard life because of a disorder they didn't ask for. I've told him my feelings. He knows I'm here for him. I feel like at this point that's all I can do. My hope is that he gets help and starts seeing things clearer. I know this is a life long disorder and he needs people in his life to support him, but I also need to better myself. He's a special man and he will always be special to me but I'm trying to pull myself away because I don't know what else to do for him. He acknowledges that he has problems. He mentioned a straight jacket and padded walls in his future, I just don't understand why he won't get the help he knows he needs.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest