Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 01:04:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: invalidation  (Read 479 times)
love never fails

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: July 22, 2021, 03:29:23 PM »

I have noticed a lot of posts recently from parents of adult bpd children that include accusations of "invalidation in childhood."  I wonder if our bpd kids are getting this from therapists with limited knowledge of bpd. 

If you look on line, invalidation seems to be listed as a major cause.  I wonder if therapists are working backward...if you have bpd, you must have been abused or at least invalidated by your parents.  That resonates with our bpd kids because they have always sensed that "everything is our fault". 

This makes me wonder if therapy might actually do more harm than good if the therapist is not an expert in bpd.  From talking with several of my DD's therapists, I realized I knew more about bpd than they do.  They just spout off a few talking points.

Anyone else have similar experiences/thoughts?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Leaf56

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 04:58:17 PM »

YES! I have definitely thought this exact same thing! So happy you brought it up. I think they're also getting it from the internet. In fact, over the past 2 years since all this crap started up, I've often asked my son which forums he frequents, trying to get a sense of where all this might be coming from. I think they absolutely get most of their ideas for blaming us from online support forums. I also agree that therapists can be extremely dangerous and that probably 90% are actually bad, not just for BPD, but in general. I think the state of mental health care is abysmal and I actually have about zero faith in any of it anymore and am starting to just see them all as snake oil salesmen.
hurtmom

Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 12:30:57 PM »

I too worry the internet followed by therapist is what made my daughter conclude I was so awful and dismissive
Not sure how to unplanted those seeds
Leaf56

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 02:40:16 PM »

I wonder whether the reason why those who "discovered" BPD originally blamed it all on abandonment, abuse, insecure attachment etc precisely was because pwBPD are so adept at convincing others in extremely well-calculated subtle campaigns that they are somehow aggrieved because of "what happened to them in their childhoods." Do you get what I'm suggesting here?
JD2028

Relationship status: married

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 10:42:05 PM »

From what I gather, research does support that many cases originate in childhood trauma.

So here's where it gets tricky- there are categories that are obviously traumatic- divorce, physical/sexual/emotional abuse, death of a parent or sibling, homelessness, food insecurity, illness (self or caregiver) etc, etc.

And yet, and yet- my child experienced none of that.  She was loved, and encouraged, supported and praised. She is still BPD. So I think back on the times that I was trying to foster independence. Like "I've shown you how 10x, you can do it on your own"  Can you imagine they would see that as invalidation? I didn't do it for her, or didn't stand over her shoulder (while she yelled at me to stop standing over her shoulder) to make sure everything was done perfectly and that is another strike against me.

I truly don't even take it personally anymore because it's so PLEASE READing bananas. I'm just looking forward to my sentence being over
Leaf56

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 11:41:45 PM »

Yep. Mine also experienced none of that.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest