Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 04:56:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 395 times)
Mum of 5

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« on: August 01, 2021, 11:01:57 AM »

Joined this group, Having found the site while reading Walking on Egg Shells.
Adult daughter has had BPD since early teens, but just finding that out now.  Was dx with ADD age 12, so believed her problems were always about bc of that.  Reading books on BPD is like reading a script of our her/our life.  She has recently been hospitalized and started on an antipsychotic med for moods, and she begins DBT on Tuesday. Thankfully she is anxious for treatment, but historically has not followed thru. Hoping the DBT , being a better fit for the Dx will bring her some relief in her life. She has a total of 7 other siblings 4 full, 3 half, all highly functional adults, and one being her twin, that she knows bc she does not function as they do, and never has, that this sets her very apart from her family.  She is childish but wants to be adult, and functioning. I am hoping my hope for her, and her hope for herself can be realized with the DBT.
Can anyone tell me how often and for how long(yrs) she has to commit to bring some results.  Thx
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Kwamina
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 10:33:45 AM »

Hi Mum of 5 Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

Sounds like your daughter has been struggling with her issues for quite some time already, since her early teens. What led to her recent hospitalization?

She was put on antipsychotic medication to stabilize her moods, have you perhaps already seen any effects of this medication as it relates to her moods and behaviors?

I am glad she will be getting targeted treatment for her BPD in the form of Dialectical Behavior Therapy. BPD certainly is a challenging disorder, but it is a positive development that she is getting targeted professional treatment now.

How does your daughter feel about her diagnosis, has she said anything about it? Do you believe she accepts her BPD diagnosis?

Welcome to BPDFamily Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

The Board Parrot

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest