Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 04:59:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Merry go round  (Read 400 times)
AskingWhy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: October 23, 2021, 11:51:38 PM »

Welcome new member (click to insert in post)  I have backed off this board for some time because uBPD H had appeared to be "getting better."  Last year, drunk after his birthday party, H came to me tearfully and apologised for all the terrible things he had said and done to me in almost 20 years of marriage.  In that time, he almost constantly raged, destroyed property, called the worst names, and blame me for the breakdown the marriage (punching holes in walls, broke wooden furniture, scared the cats and dogs, continued in his emotionally incestuous relationships with his three adult children, you get the picture...)  Of course, in the eyes of H, I was the one to blame for the upset.

He is nearing his retirement and having a great deal of anxiety over it, he finally pulled the bait-and-switch on me over where we were going to retire.  We had planned on moving to one state due to its retirement communities and mild weather.  By March, H had decided, without consulting me, that we are moving to the state where his younger D lives with her own H and small child.  H then demanded I sell my own business and give a large sum of money to put down on a new home.  (H's family, his widowed elderly F, have nothing and, in fact, are in debt.  FIL also has a gambling addiction, to boot.  H's older D is a cannabis addict, and his S is homeless and a drug addict.)

I am about the pull the plug on this marriage. It has gotten to the point where I am less emotionally codependent.  In the past, H would make a divorce threat and reduce me to tears.  No more.  I know I can survive without him and his hideously dysfunctional family.

How many here have moved on from a destructive marriage to a BPD or uBPD spouse or partner and now can breathe free of the daily toxic fumes?  I am reading the "daily wisdom" for, "Why Does He Do That?  Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men."

The last straw for me today was the lack of empathy from my uBPD H regarding my medical disability.  At times, my illness, which goes in and out of remission, became bad to where I could not drive.  H had to come home early for a weekend golf trip to help me.  Of course, he was furious.  He was all very full of show about how he sacrificed to come home, but he punished me for it as if the relapse was something I wanted.  (Believe me, I would not wish this one anyone!)  He walked around like he was so generous and kind of a husband, and let me know that it cost him a lot to come home and give up his golf.)  Last week, he threw a wooden chair across the room, sending wood shards all over the room.  I laughed at him and left the room to clean his own mess.  Yes, this dysregulation likely played a role in the relapse of my health issues.  And he uses his younger D as a confidante, telling her whether or not we are "getting along," and telling her we have conflict in our marriage.  (His children wanted him to divorce me since they were in their teen, and the Ds had unhealthy Elektra complexes with their F.  Their uBPD/uNPD M cheated on their F and divorced him to marry her lover, who himself was married with children.  H's first marriage appeared to be the perfect mix of BPD and NPD.)

His GS, still a toddler, appears to be in the ASD spectrum, with do many checks in the boxes of diagnostic criteria.  H and his D, the mother, are utterly oblivious to this, yet I have said nothing.  They laugh with glee when he parrots words and songs, and they thing he's the most clever thing in the world.  I tried to warn H of his children, when they were teens, of their drug and alcohol abuse.  And then H decided to shoot the messenger...me.  Older D is likely uBPD:  promiscuity, suicide attempt, sleeping with her boss, drug abuse and addiction, quitting a well-paying job, moving several times in the course of a few years, and always having to have a new "best friend."

I am getting so sick and tired of this merry go round.  
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 12:07:24 AM by AskingWhy » Logged
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 12:54:24 AM »

How many here have moved on from a destructive marriage to a BPD or uBPD spouse or partner and now can breathe free of the daily toxic fumes?

There are countless members here (and surely countless lurkers not yet ready to post too) who have walked in your shoes.  You are no alone.  To put it frankly... You can't fix him.  And especially not in your closest of relationships where he just can't listen to you due to the past years of the relationship's emotional baggage.

If he would have listened to you or therapists and tried to truly improve his perceptions, thinking and behaviors, he would have done it long ago.

Sad that it's come to this but you can't sabotage your life — and business — on a failed and abusive relationship.  Yes, destroying furniture and walls and all the rest is abuse.  Whether it is actionable or not in your area, it is abusive.

Kudos for you returning to peer support.  Do you have a counselor who is helping you maintain balance from day to day?  Have you been (confidentially*) consulting lawyers to prepare for upcoming legal matters?  Even if there are no custody issues with minor children, he is likely to make a separation or divorce very distressing.

If you haven't consulted lawyers yet for strategies yet, there's an essential handbook that is an excellent guide, Splitting: Protecting Yourself While Divorcing Someone with Borderline or Narcissistic Personality Disorder by William Eddy.

* You have a right to confidentiality and privacy.  Generally is it best not to share your plans or strategies... the risk is too great he could sabotage you.  So when you consult family law attorneys you have a right to not share until you're ready and your lawyer has prepared things so your risks are lessened.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 01:00:20 AM by ForeverDad » Logged

Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 04:42:28 PM »

AW, I think everyone has to consider their individual circumstances. Some couples have children and other commitments that keep them in contact in some way or another. Whether to stay or leave is an individual decision as is whether or not they are happy post spilt.

In your situation, I think there's less collateral. The two of you are at a milestone with your H retiring and wanting to move. You have felt as if he makes his adult children more of a priority than you, and if he wants to move near them, then there's going to be more of these dynamics.

It also looks as if you do have some personal funds. Surely a divorce will consider all mutual material possessions, but having your own funds means you have the ability to not give them to him and not move with him. Maybe you want to live somewhere else.

You don't have children between you. This might be a less complicated split. It's still up to you but it seems feasible to go your separate ways if you choose.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest