Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 06, 2024, 06:26:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Job loss — year is NOT off to a good start  (Read 977 times)
Ozzie101
Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: January 14, 2022, 01:17:08 PM »

Yesterday, H lost his job, very much out of the blue. The boss waited until he had finished helping with all the year-end close work before telling him. She told him his work has been perfect but they’re going in a different direction (sounds like they’re going to outsource it). Early in this job, he had some troubles working with a couple of people but those problems were quickly worked out months ago and they became close friends . The boss, on the other hand, is a bit of a problem and is pretty much hated by the whole office. Anyway, several coworkers called last night, angry about it and giving support, which I think helped him. Apparently, one of them told the boss to her face that she was wrong and making a big mistake.

This is the second job he’s lost in two years, though from what I can tell, this time didn’t have anything to do with misbehavior on his part. We both work from home and I could hear a lot of his work calls and he sounded polite, professional and friendly.

Obviously, this is a blow for him. Another rejection. Another abandonment. Fear of the unknown. Embarrassment for “failure.” I’m trying to offer support and validation.

But inside, I feel sick and constantly on the verge of tears. I just fear how this will set him off-kilter. (On top of some stressful stuff with SS11.) So far he seems mostly OK. Sad, but stable. I don’t think it will last.

Anyway, now everything is on my shoulders, financially, at a time when I’m struggling to learn a new job myself and already feel stressed and anxious.

All I know to do is encourage him as he looks for a new job and be supportive. He’s the one suffering the biggest blow. But I can’t help thinking about myself and being overwhelmed by fears and frustrations.

We’ve been through a lot in the last three years and it was starting to look like we might get a little break.
Cat Familiar
Retired Staff

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 02:52:40 PM »

So sorry.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post)  That he was offered support by his coworkers is a very good sign. Really unfortunate development.  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 03:33:51 PM »

I'm so sorry.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Was he given a decent severance package?

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 05:02:13 PM »

One month. The last job gave him three months, which was a nice cushion. The market is good for job-seekers right now and he has marketable skills (accounting, finance, HR), so hopefully it won’t take long to find something new.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 06:18:26 PM »

That's so stressful. I'm glad he got "on your side" vibes from coworkers. It may be rough for a bit but as you say, the job market is really good. Fingers crossed he can let go and move forward.
SinisterComplex
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 04:36:00 PM »

Yesterday, H lost his job, very much out of the blue. The boss waited until he had finished helping with all the year-end close work before telling him. She told him his work has been perfect but they’re going in a different direction (sounds like they’re going to outsource it). Early in this job, he had some troubles working with a couple of people but those problems were quickly worked out months ago and they became close friends . The boss, on the other hand, is a bit of a problem and is pretty much hated by the whole office. Anyway, several coworkers called last night, angry about it and giving support, which I think helped him. Apparently, one of them told the boss to her face that she was wrong and making a big mistake.

This is the second job he’s lost in two years, though from what I can tell, this time didn’t have anything to do with misbehavior on his part. We both work from home and I could hear a lot of his work calls and he sounded polite, professional and friendly.

Obviously, this is a blow for him. Another rejection. Another abandonment. Fear of the unknown. Embarrassment for “failure.” I’m trying to offer support and validation.

But inside, I feel sick and constantly on the verge of tears. I just fear how this will set him off-kilter. (On top of some stressful stuff with SS11.) So far he seems mostly OK. Sad, but stable. I don’t think it will last.

Anyway, now everything is on my shoulders, financially, at a time when I’m struggling to learn a new job myself and already feel stressed and anxious.

All I know to do is encourage him as he looks for a new job and be supportive. He’s the one suffering the biggest blow. But I can’t help thinking about myself and being overwhelmed by fears and frustrations.

We’ve been through a lot in the last three years and it was starting to look like we might get a little break.

Just offering my support...You will get through this and hopefully a new and better opportunity will come along for him through all of this. I know all too well this situation. Ive been kicked in the nuts and hit rock bottom and then I just made things happen. Your support will hopefully help spur him onto greener pastures. My best to you Ozzie.

Cheers and best wishes!

-SC-

Through Adversity There is Redemption!
CoherentMoose

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 02:48:54 PM »

Ouch!  Hope a silver lining appears...and soon!  Good luck.  CoMo
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest