Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 09, 2024, 08:17:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dangerous and/or reckless behavior  (Read 399 times)
rainbow connecti
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Single

« on: February 03, 2022, 08:01:52 AM »

my adult daughter has quiet bpd. she's not normally reckless or dangerous with her behavior but when she does it's scary

most of her dangerous behaviors aren't life threatening but she can't currently work and I don't make enough money to cover mistakes

I'm really scared that she'll make costly mistakes and then her guilt over us leaning closer to homelessness will cause her to spiral further

I also struggle with balancing, letting her know what I need with not saying things that make her spiral more

and I'm even more scared that she'll make a choice that she can't recover from and I'll lose her permanently

that being said, she's super compliant and courageous about being healthy

I hate that her life is so hard
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Rev
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced and now happily remarried.

The surest way to fail is to never try.

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 08:33:23 AM »

Hi Rainbow -

Welcome!  I have this standard line when I say "hi" for the first time. Sorry you are here. Happy you have found us.  Hope this resonates.

You will find, I hope, lot's of wisdom here. And you will find no judgement.  Each of us has a story and each of us is really hoping for the best for each of us.  Being cool (click to insert in post)

You haven't asked any questions per se and instead you have drawn a picture - one that resonates with me. My daughter has a bi-polar condition that causes her to become very impulsive in her manic stages. I find that very stressful if I dwell on it too much. Finding coping strategies can be a challenge for me. What about you? 

Also, I'd invite you to scope out the sight. There are articles and pieces of advice and tools.  Sometimes that jogs the mind and helps us to focus on tending to the things at hand.

Reach out any time.

In the meantime - Stay safe. Be well. Hang in there.

Rev
SinisterComplex
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 12:54:23 PM »

my adult daughter has quiet bpd. she's not normally reckless or dangerous with her behavior but when she does it's scary

most of her dangerous behaviors aren't life threatening but she can't currently work and I don't make enough money to cover mistakes

I'm really scared that she'll make costly mistakes and then her guilt over us leaning closer to homelessness will cause her to spiral further

I also struggle with balancing, letting her know what I need with not saying things that make her spiral more

and I'm even more scared that she'll make a choice that she can't recover from and I'll lose her permanently

that being said, she's super compliant and courageous about being healthy

I hate that her life is so hard

Rainbow I will join my teammate here in wishing you well and saying welcome.  Welcome new member (click to insert in post). Happy you have found us. You will learn quickly that this resource is truly like a family. We all understand here that the struggle is real.

Please feel free to share as much or as little as you are comfortable with. In saying that, what kinds of questions do you have for us? What are your goals here? Sorry to be cliche, but essentially help us help you. Take your time. Please be kind to you and truly take care of yourself.

Cheers and best wishes!

-SC-

Through Adversity There is Redemption!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest