Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 12:46:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are there ANY bad behaviors people diagnosed as borderline are responsible for?  (Read 416 times)
curiousmind
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: broken up

« on: May 05, 2022, 01:31:08 PM »

I once met a woman on an e-dating site who lived in another state. We texted and talked on the phone for ten days or so, for an hour or two every day. I've never been married, and as we talked she began to seem like just the girl I'd always been looking for. I had the time and the money then, and I arranged to fly there to meet her. Because I was in a line of work that would have allowed me to relocate, the idea was that I'd stay for about a week, and if we really hit it off I'd consider moving there.

She'd seemed to be looking forward to meeting as much as I was. But almost from the moment I first saw her at the airport, things started going south--and not from anying I'd done wrong. The only good part was the sex, and after only two days I came home. Just a couple months ago I happened to read something about borderline personality disorder, and as I read on I t as if this very pretty, smart, educated, but lonely divorcee, with her beautiful house in the woods, used me like a male prostitute.

Now, a dozen years later, I feel sorry for her. I think deep inside her, there's hought, "That's her!" As I recalled both the way she'd acted and the feelings and experiences she'd volunteered, it became clear she met at least five of the DSM's criteria. Looking back, I feel a little demeaned. It'sa real sweetheart, and I hope she's been able to become happier or maybe even find a guy to love. But she was also cruel and selfish. I remember moments with her when I thought, "I could drop dead, right here, and she'd just shrug her shoulders and say to herself, 'Oh well'. All she'd miss would be all those orgasms I gave her."

All this raises a question in my mind:  If borderlines are just the victims of a psychiatric disorder, why are they responsible for ANY harm they inflict on other people? And if they're lonely and depressed, why should anyone care? If you're going to act like a rude, manipulative jerk who just uses people, why should people who see and hear about the way you act NOT avoid you? It's because our actions have consequences that we learn either to be nice and friendly, or to have other people shun us.
Rev
Ambassador

Relationship status: Divorced and now happily remarried.

The surest way to fail is to never try.

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 05:35:32 PM »

All this raises a question in my mind:  If borderlines are just the victims of a psychiatric disorder, why are they responsible for ANY harm they inflict on other people? And if they're lonely and depressed, why should anyone care? If you're going to act like a rude, manipulative jerk who just uses people, why should people who see and hear about the way you act NOT avoid you? It's because our actions have consequences that we learn either to be nice and friendly, or to have other people shun us.

Hi there Curious.

That is an excellent, excellent question.

I'd like to take a stab and see where things go. I'm pretty sure your questions are rhetorical, but I think they merit discussion just the same.

If borderlines are just the victims of a psychiatric disorder, why are they responsible for ANY harm they inflict on other people?  BPD is not a psychiatric disorder. It is a psychological one. That means. that although pwBPD have trouble regulating, it doesn't mean that they are absolved of the choice to get help and stick with the programme. Even at that, psychiatric disorders are on a spectrum. That means that there are moments of clarity that can be seized to get help. So, yes, people with BPD, although one may understand and empathize, can and should be held accountable and responsible for the choices they make. This can, and should, be done with compassion.

And if they're lonely and depressed, why should anyone care? Who would want to live in a world that cares less about people than we do now. I certainly don't. I can care about someone without accepting or tolerating abusive behavior, for example.

If you're going to act like a rude, manipulative jerk who just uses people, why should people who see and hear about the way you act NOT avoid you?  Agreed. Avoidance is a peaceful confrontation.

It's because our actions have consequences that we learn either to be nice and friendly, or to have other people shun us. That's the principle upon which DBT is based. (or at least one of the principles anyways.)

Who's next?

Rev
Rev
Ambassador

Relationship status: Divorced and now happily remarried.

The surest way to fail is to never try.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 05:37:43 PM »

Hi there Curious.

That is an excellent, excellent question.

I'd like to take a stab and see where things go. I'm pretty sure your questions are rhetorical, but I think they merit discussion just the same.

If borderlines are just the victims of a psychiatric disorder, why are they responsible for ANY harm they inflict on other people?  BPD is not a psychiatric disorder. It is a psychological one. That means. that although pwBPD have trouble regulating, it doesn't mean that they are absolved of the choice to get help and stick with the programme. Even at that, psychiatric disorders are on a spectrum. That means that there are moments of clarity that can be seized to get help. Those moments vary depending on the depth of the condition. So, yes, people with BPD, although one may understand and empathize, can and should be held accountable and responsible for the choices they make. This can, and should, be done with compassion. Being compassionate does not mean being a doormat.

And if they're lonely and depressed, why should anyone care? Who would want to live in a world that cares less about people than we do now. I certainly don't. I can care about someone without accepting or tolerating abusive behavior, for example.

If you're going to act like a rude, manipulative jerk who just uses people, why should people who see and hear about the way you act NOT avoid you?  Agreed. Avoidance is a peaceful confrontation.

It's because our actions have consequences that we learn either to be nice and friendly, or to have other people shun us. That's the principle upon which DBT is based. (or at least one of the principles anyways.)

Who's next?

Rev

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest