Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 06:42:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guilt Trips  (Read 697 times)
Every day

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: June 17, 2022, 09:51:28 AM »

My uBPD husband is very good at guilt trips.  We’ve had a couple of good months with progress thanks to a good counselor but the past week I can feel that we are going to hit a rough patch.

We actually have two residences two hours apart.  We met online and he has a business in one area and my job is in another community.  We married knowing that we had these dual residences and that it meant traveling to spend time with each other.  From my perspective, it works really well and I go to him on the weekends and he has spend the first part of the week by me so we usually only have a couple of days apart in a week.

He often talks about how he doesn’t like this and how he gets lonely.  When we have longer periods apart he uses passive aggressive statements to make me feel guilty.

Last Sunday I tested positive for COVID (I’m fine) so I left early so I didn’t pass it on to him and we’ve spent the week in separate places.  So far he hasn’t contracted it.  I am not going to him this weekend so I don’t have to worry about making him sick.  We discussed this last night.

This morning the guilt trip started.  Texts about how he’s going to need to take a night job without explanation and when I ask him what he means he texts that he’s tired of being alone all night and he needs to make more money (he actually just needs to focus on the projects he has going on….) and that hopefully he’ll be able to find something without drinking.

He’s been sober 7 months (after I told him he was choosing me or drinking) so this is clearly baiting me for either pity or a fight.  I’m looking for advice in these moments because my instinct is to literally say nothing since regardless of what I do he’ll use it to escalate to a conflict.
BigOof

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Never-ending divorce

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 10:23:11 AM »

Try reading or listening to:

- https://www.amazon.com/Narcissists-Playbook-Sociopaths-Psychopaths-Manipulative-ebook/dp/B07NS9YVD8
- https://www.amazon.com/Out-Fog-Confusion-Clarity-Narcissistic-ebook/dp/B077SFQWZ2

There's no right answer - just confusion. Dana's advice is you need to change the game you're playing.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 10:29:59 AM by BigOof » Logged
maxsterling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 12:02:24 PM »

Seems to be a common problem to assign blame/control to us over something we have no control over.

In your case, it sounds like he is setting things up to blame you when/if he starts drinking again.

I get this kind of behavior from my W all the time.  This morning she wanted to blame me for her sleep study going bad because the kids woke up at 3am and I was not available to deal with them (I sleep in a different room).

In the past I would apologize for something like this by saying, I'm sorry, next time I will be more alert.

But I am trying to change the game here.

I need to stick to my principles and remind myself I did nothing wrong here.
1)  I can't control whether the kids wake up
2)  I can't be expected to wake up immediately to deal with the kids
3)  Even if I woke up to deal with the kids, she *still* would have been woken up and *still* would have blamed me for it.

If her sleep study did not work, I am not the cause of it.
I can say, "I'm sorry that happened.  I hope things work better tonight."
But I won't apologize for my role because I have none.

She gets mad, but that is not my problem.  It helps me feel less guilty, though. 

Every day

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 02:26:21 PM »

Thanks BigOof, I have read numerous BPD, NPD books but not those so I just downloaded the audio of one from the library : )

maxsterling, thank you for that assessment.  It helped to read it because I know that part of is what he is doing in my subconscious, but to not just sense it but say it is really important in helping me keep my footing. 

I think the other motive is to hope that I’ll just drive to where he is, which I probably did numerous times in the past when he manufactured a reason to be fragile. I’ve become better at taking the bait and I like the way you spelled out how you did nothing wrong.  I think I’ll add that to my journaling during these times to stay centered to what I know is right.  I’m not necessarily looking to end this marriage, but I am looking to set my boundaries, stick to them, and see if he can possibly adapt. As uncomfortable as it is, it is no more uncomfortable than caving because when I do I realize that I was given a lose-lose situation anyway.
maxsterling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 04:45:03 PM »

I’m not necessarily looking to end this marriage, but I am looking to set my boundaries, stick to them, and see if he can possibly adapt. As uncomfortable as it is, it is no more uncomfortable than caving because when I do I realize that I was given a lose-lose situation anyway.

Exactly.

Same place here.  I'm to the point where I just need to have firm boundaries and let her do what she wants.  Continuously caving to her needs can't work for me anymore.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest