Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 01:50:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's time to find some people like me  (Read 390 times)
Vincent56

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« on: July 26, 2022, 06:54:54 PM »

I'm a parent of an adult BPD child. I haven't spoken to her or seen her in 3 1/2 years.  Multiple times a day I was getting the details of her current issues and as I was absorbing her problems and making them mine, I finally lost it.  I had to get help.  I had therapy twice a week for a year.  I took all the DBT classes to learn it all for myself.  I learned mindfulness and meditation.  I did it all and I won myself back.  When I finally was ready to try to reconnect, she was not.  It was hard and I dealt with it.  She was having contact with my husband, which I didn't ask about to keep myself on the right path. It eventually has ended up she has no contact with either of us unless she needs something or a bad issue comes up, like divorce, death of her dog, death of her cat, one dog killed the other and had to be put down, another cat died, and finally she's lost her home.   Yes, there're lots of pets, I know. The loss of her home happened after 6 months of quiet.  I literally lost it.  I cried for hours.  My husband can't handle me being upset for fear of me losing it again.  He's the most supportive man in the world, but sometimes I need to cry.  He's a very factual unemotional person unless it comes to me. He deals with her in black and white.  I never have.  I've always tried to fix everything to the point I couldn't take it anymore.  Of the 15 nieces and nephews in our family, every single one of them is successful, content and very family oriented.  I feel so guilty and alone.  It's like everything that is bad is happening to her.  It's just killing me.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Mary Jean

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 07:35:08 PM »

Hello
I am so sorry for your struggles. This is such a difficult position for a parent.  I am estranged from my oldest daughter for 3 years. She has falsely accused my husband and me of not being good parents. I can’t believe the person she has become.
I have neither seen nor talked to her since 2019. I have been separated from our 2 grandchildren as well.
We have joined NAMI in hoping of finding some support and
understanding.  We have worked with several therapists to no benefit. I have pretty much given up. I am grieving the nice family life we used to have.  I wonder if our family will ever be together in one place again.
By Still Water
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 01:56:04 PM »

Vincent56 and Mary Jean, I relate. Our son has estranged from us, over a year ago. In his eyes, we are terrible parents although - just before - he had said we gave him a good childhood. The fast switches with BPD are so baffling. How does your child relate to siblings? One - thankfully - has not been cut off. Another has asked him to correspond via email (his bro with BPD is across the world) because the bro with BPD typically sent phone texts of self-centered rants with arrogance. He has not heard back for months. It helps to focus on my students, strong marriage, hobbies, and others who receive our love.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest