Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 12:51:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I did it, i told him i wanted a divorce  (Read 435 times)
whycantitbecalm

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: February 15, 2023, 05:31:31 PM »

Ok, so i made the big announcement almost 3 weeks ago.
After advice on here i was ready to possibly evacuate if needed, i’d confided in my support network so they could be ready too.
They have been great.

I expected My HwBPD to be furious, but he took me by surprise and was sobbing and dramatic, and remained that way for two weeks!
He became this charming version of himself to try and lovebomb me i to changing my mind and can’t understand why i won’t try again.
We’ve been trying for 20 yrs, it hasn’t worked and has been horrendous to live with, he spent a lot of that time asking me if i wanted a divorce and now tells me that he shocked that this is happening.
That he never saw it coming, and that he thought we were stronger than any couple.

As you can imagine this has really messed with my head, but i’m thinking that in the intent.

Has anyone elses partner reacted this way?
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 07:59:00 PM »

Excerpt
As you can imagine this has really messed with my head, but I’m thinking that was the intent.

Two weeks can't undo twenty years.  As is often remarked here, promises and brief changes mean little, what counts is real change over extended time.

Sure, you caught his attention but is it sincere?  We can tell you the odds whether his sincerity lasts very long - for all we know he might be an exception - but it's your judgment that counts more than ours as to whether your spouse will actually reverse his life and behavior patterns.  What does your gut tell you?

Sure, many will sweet talk of promising changes, others will do the reverse, ranting, raging and pressuring - called Extinction Bursts - but without the meaningful involvement of professionals such as therapists then all too soon the person reverts back to prior patterns, the spouse's prior "comfort zone".

On a practical basis you can't keep your spouse on some sort of probation indefinitely.  Ponder that.  Meanwhile, a person with BPD (pwBPD) has an exaggerated sense of self, so be alert to subtle indications your spouse may be preparing to set up a golden parachute for self or laying the groundwork blaming you for the marriage's demise.

Pook075
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married but Separated

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 08:05:25 PM »

I was going to say almost the same as ForeverDad- if you're not 100% sure you're done with this, now would be the ideal time to say, "If you want to see if our marriage can be saved, now would be the time for you to take therapy seriously."  We all know that we're supposed to build healthy boundaries and you have the rare opportunity of getting his complete attention to make your demands heard.

That's your call though, and only your call- don't let any of us influence you because this is the past 20 years of your life.  I wish you luck in whatever you decide.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest