Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 16, 2024, 05:02:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone else's children made really odd statements?  (Read 647 times)
who_knows11

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: March 17, 2023, 08:53:00 AM »

A couple nights ago my oldest son (5 yo) and I were in the garage on the golf simulator and we heard a loud noise we thought came from the playroom over the garage.  We went inside to check thinking my wife had went up there and fallen or dropped something.  We called out and got no answer.  Called out a few more times and then went up to check.  Found nothing.  Went to the front door and my son said "mommy's car isn't gone."  We went out the door and turns out she had taken the garbage out and put it in the trash can which is right in front of the garage door.  That is why we heard such a loud noise when the lid slammed shut.  No big deal

When we returned to the garage my son said, "I thought mommy had left and married somebody else."...I was nearly speechless.  I couldn't even think of how to respond to that.  I finally asked why he said that and he just said, "I don't know, I just thought she might have got a new boyfriend."  I asked if someone had said something like that and he said no.  I asked if mommy had talked to him about something like that and he said no.  So I just asked why he said that and he told, "my brain just told me to say it."  Again, he is 5.  That's all he would say.  My brain just thought of it and told me to say it.  I was completely dumbfounded and still do not know what to think about it. 

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?  I would love to get your thoughts.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 05:35:08 PM »

Excerpt
Has anyone else's children made really odd statements?

Often.

I start to wonder if it's baked in to BPD-type family systems. The kids are 17 & almost 15 now. SD17 is pretty tight lipped about content, but the way she communicates says a lot -- what she gets defensive about, who she blames, etc.

SD14, though, doesn't have the enmeshment/hypervigilance that gives her a sense of "Mom wouldn't want me to say XYZ" so she tends to spill a lot that she doesn't realize is actually spilling a lot.

Even the kids' mom (many BPD type traits), I've realized over time, is a huge over-sharer, though I don't think she realizes she is, and it shows up as her explaining how things aren't her fault (translation: it is), or how what she and Stepdad (many NPD type traits) do is amazing, superior, and enlightened (translation: it isn't).

This meant that about a year+ before Mom knew (or allowed herself to see), based on stuff she said and the kids said, I suspected that there was something funny relationally between Stepdad and a female family friend. Fast forward about a year and a half, and SD17 is breaking down emotionally because of what she terms "adult relational chaos" at Mom's house -- though she only said that much after spending half the conversation blaming DH for "overreacting about her grades". She had to make it fair, apparently  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

Around the same time, SD14 and I were working on crafts and she was telling me about watching some of the Muppet Show in a class at school. It was some episode about Kermit and Miss Piggy, and she said something like "you can't just tell someone you love them and then go be with someone else" (ostensibly about the muppets).

Anyway, looks like Stepdad is in some kind of romantic relationship with this female family friend now, though apparently he and Mom are still married. Guess it's "enlightened".

With either kid, I can't push super hard, because SD17 gets defensive still, and SD14 shuts down. But, with SD17, what I did was say "Whatever is going on, I see things, and I hear things, and I wasn't born yesterday. Whatever it is, if you want to tell me, I won't be shocked or surprised, and I probably already guessed what it was. It's also OK if you don't want to tell me, but the most important thing for me and Dad is that there is someone neutral you CAN talk to. So, if you want help setting up counseling, let us know, and we will do it for you."

With SD14, my approach is to have minimal reactivity to anything she says (that can trigger her feeling shamed and shutting down) and to try to draw parallels to friend dynamics -- was this or that toxic, what do you think she wanted when she did that, what would you do if you were in that position, etc. So, at least she is thinking about the structure of the situation, even if it is too fraught for her to think about the specifics. DH also watches a show with her that has a lot of conversation points for relationships.

So -- you did well to just respond to your son with the question "Why did you say that?" I kind of suspect he did hear it from somewhere, but whether that's from a friend at school, a TV show, your W, family member conversations, etc, is hard to say. I think that part of his brain is online enough to put together "Hmmm, this and that situation are alike", but he isn't mature enough to have the nuanced conversation of "well Dad, my friend told me that his mom got angry a lot and then got a boyfriend, and Mommy gets angry, so that's why I said that, I thought it was similar", and he may sense some shame around it, which sends him to the "I don't know why I said it" outlet.

One positive thing you can do in these situations is to give yourself a few seconds to compose yourself by doing just what you did, replying with a question:

"Oh really?" (note, tone makes a HUGE difference here, so use a tone that is warm and not dismissive)
"Yeah? Are you concerned about that?"
"Oh, were people talking about that?"

and then, once he replies, and you've got your feet a bit more under you...

always turn the focus back to how he feels.

"How were you feeling when your brain thought that, buddy?"
"Are you having any feelings about that?"

A lot of what you say will depend on his answer, and he's only 5, so it doesn't have to be hugely complicated. But these "weird comments" that the kids make are a huge opportunity in BPD family dynamics for you to model calmness, non-reactivity, focus on the kids' feelings, validation, non-shaming, and support.

It's a big deal that he felt safe enough to make that kind of comment with you. You can really keep the doors open by staying warm, focused on his feelings, non-shaming, present, and validating to him. You can reinforce that by telling him: "I'm glad you felt like you could share your brain thoughts with me!" or "I'll always do my best to listen to you, whenever you want."

Keep the focus on his feelings (vs "mining for information"), and he'll open up. I think kids sometimes want to get this kind of stuff out in the open. Or, even if they think they don't want to, it comes out, and then it's our job as adults to not send the focus to the BPD/NPD adult ("I can't believe your stepdad is doing that kind of stuff", "Why doesn't your mom actually pay attention to you"), but back on the kid where it belongs.

Hope that's a helpful direction, and you're definitely not alone;

kells76
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 06:52:49 PM »

Looking through some things my parents saved from my childhood was a preschool summary of what we were doing in school - the usual preschool skills and then there was a summary of things I said. I was pretend playing with a toy doll and I was telling Dolly that she needed to be very good so she could be loved.

That was the situation in my home with BPD mother. We had to walk on eggshells. I must have been about 3 at the time.

The part about the statement of mother getting married to someone else- kids don't understand what having a boyfriend or girlfriend is really about at that age. They just think it's about liking someone. The part that stuck out is the "marrying someone else" because if that happened, the mother might leave and perhaps the leaving was the fear. Now if the boyfriend is an actual person, and the kids say "Mr. Smith is Mommy's boyfriend" that would get me thinking...

15years

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 03:50:37 AM »

My take on this:
The "my brain thought of it and told me to say it" part sounds like something my 6yo would say, he often says things in a funny, philosophical way. Quotes like that seems to come from a higher than average level of self awareness and looking at feelings and thoughts in a curious way. Not everybody thinks like this, so I'd say what made him say this is an expression of his personality and possibly also his thoughts about the family situation. It could also be a lot about his personality and only a little to do with the family situation. Hard to say.

Sry not updated on your situation, just wanted to comment as I can relate to this type of quote from you son Smiling (click to insert in post)
Pook075
Ambassador

Relationship status: Married but Separated

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 08:13:54 AM »

Kids can and will say some crazy things with their imaginations, so I wouldn't read too much into it.  Also remember that they have no filters so what they think comes out.  I'll share a quick story of my BPD kid though to put you a little at ease.

My two girls were 6 and 8 in elementary school.  A very large 10 year old girl was picking on all the kindergarteners one by one in an after school program (Boys & Girls Club).  I can't remember exactly what she was doing, but it was typical bully stuff.  And this girl saw that my youngest had just got a snack from a teacher, so she went over to take it.  My six year old protested and said it was her snack, and the big girl got right up in her face and threatened her.

My older daughter sees this from across the room, sprints over, and gets nose to nose with the big girl.  My 8 year old was a string bean, maybe 50 pounds, while the bully is probably 125 easy.  And my daughter says, "If you ever even look at my sister again, I'll slit your throat and watch you bleed out."  Four or five other kids heard it, and they all say that it's not what she said, but how she said it and the look in her eyes.  Everyone knew she was dead serious.  

The fat girl ran away crying her eyes out, genuinely scared for her life.  She told a teacher that my daughter was bullying her and my kid was suspended from the afterschool program.  We had several teacher conferences over the incident as well, which I had mixed feelings about since this all started because a huge 10 year old was bullying my small 6 year old.

Anyway, that's what BPD looks like in a young child.  I knew without a shadow of a doubt by the time she was 7 or 8 that something was very, very off.
who_knows11

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 08:43:45 AM »

Thanks for the thoughts.  I definitely had in my mind not to forget that he is only 5.  Kids can say the silliest things sometimes.  My wife often will have her rants to me in front of them and she has said in front of them numerous times that she just wants to go find someone else she can marry that will treat her the way she deserves to be treated.  I'm sure he's heard it and picked up on it.  I was afraid that once he couldn't find her he just assumed she had left to do just that.  It worries me a little.  I'm just afraid he'll develop the same fear of abandonment from hearing her talk about finding someone else and thinking that means she is leaving him also instead of just leaving me
15years

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 03:21:29 AM »

"...treat her the way she deserves to be treated." Can't say how many times I have heard this exact message from my wife the last couple of years...

It worries me a little.  I'm just afraid he'll develop the same fear of abandonment from hearing her talk about finding someone else and thinking that means she is leaving him also instead of just leaving me

I understand your worry. Either that or he could develop care taking fantasies, thinking that he will learn and succeed in managing someone else's feelings in the future (kind of an unsolvable puzzle really). The third alternative to this is that he could learn better than the average person how to deal with an emotionally unstable person without letting it affect his own self-esteem and sense of reality too much.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest