Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 03:17:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New diagnosis  (Read 250 times)
Denim

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Adult son

« on: January 29, 2024, 06:29:23 PM »

38 year old son recently diagnosed. So hard, recently broke up with girlfriend, lost his business.  Anyone in the same boat.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Sancho
Ambassador

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 03:07:25 AM »

Hi Denim
So much happening at this time for you and your family. I wonder if you have seen signs and symptoms of BPD for quite a while?

I'm not really in the same position. My dd with BPD is 33 and has not ever been able to work or function independently or in a long term relationship. As her 'target of blame' it is very difficult on a day to day basis.

Your ds sounds much more functional in many regards, but the losses at this point in time are huge and no doubt make his symptoms worse. Does he rely on you for support?

Glad you have come here and can read other posts, others dealing with a loved one with this awful condition. It is truly one of the most challenging illnesses for those who have it, and for those who support them.

I hope things are as stable as possible at this point in time and that you are holding up under it all.
Denim

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Adult son

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 05:11:25 PM »

Really appreciate your reply, my 38 year old son was diagnosed recently when he lost his business, his girlfriend and his dream. He is now in therapy, but I am helping him financially.  Sometimes his behaviour can be truly obnoxious.  My husband died when he was 9 after battling brain cancer for 5 years. So I find it hard to deal with.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 02:04:50 PM »

Hi Denim, just joining with Sancho in offering a Welcome

Does your S38 seem to accept his diagnosis? It is hopeful that he is in therapy. Do you have any hints about what kind of therapy?

I get it about the obnoxious behavior. Sometimes it's annoying and petty and pointless -- well, it seems that way to me  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post) Does he live with you?

We're here for you, whenever you need support;

kells76
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest