Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 07:19:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Co-parenting and disciplining children  (Read 2528 times)
AlleyOop23

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married/living together

« on: April 06, 2024, 10:07:25 AM »

Here’s an ethical issue that came up that I think will come up again and again. My stbxw is, IMO, far too hard on our 13 yo.

I caught that 13 yo sneaking phone time.On the one hand this is a shared and important parenting issue. On the other hand I am uncomfortable with her mother’s potential response and subsequent treatment, especially without me being around. I drop the 13 yo off for a trip with her mom.

Handle it on my own? Toss my kid to her mom? That trip will
Actually be ruined.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 10:48:00 AM »

Coparenting and discipline is tricky, I get it.

It's a good thing that your kids' mom and you are on the same page about some behaviors (i.e. "Honey, Mommy and I agree that sneaking phone time is not ok, whether at Mom's house or Dad's house").

It makes sense that it's the level of reaction you're concerned with.

One approach is: if the "infraction" happens at Dad's house, then the consequences are also fully taken care of at Dad's house, and vice versa.

Do you think it would help the situation if you sent a B.I.F.F. email after the fact (maybe even after the trip?) sharing that D13 snuck phone time and got 2 extra hours of chores as the consequence?

Or are you concerned that even if you communicate to Mom "Hey, this happened and got totally addressed", that she will still try to impose her own punishment on D13 too?
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 10:58:00 AM »

P.S. "BIFF" stands for Brief, Informative, Friendly, and Firm, and is a communication format that helps in high conflict situations.

I know you are working on transitioning away from emotional connection to your kids' mom, so this format may help you, when you have to communicate with her, move towards a more "businesslike" relationship.

I have used that mindset when emailing my H's kids' mom -- that we are "cordial business partners" in the business venture of raising the kids -- and it has really helped me.
EyesUp
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 11:13:54 AM »

With so many things, it often boils down to focus on what you can control - you.

Let's leave your stbx out of this for a minute.

Way back when, my uBPDxw and I agreed that we needed to mindful about parenting our "digital native" kids.

We attended a panel discussion in our community about this topic and came away with several ideas that we implemented.  One was creating a "family phone agreement" that we reviewed with each of our kids as a condition of giving each of them a phone.  We've updated the agreements as they get older to address social media, etc.

Post divorce, the agreements remain between mom and dad and kid.

We also use screentime, so the kids don't really have a way to "sneak" anything.  It's built in to iOS, but there may be 3rd party apps or other tools if you're an android household.

When it came time to D, I proposed some language in the agreement that enabled me to retain primary responsibility for the kids' devices, although the agreements continue to refer to "mom and dad" as the deciders of what's what when it comes to the devices.   Screentime requests and purchase requests go to both of us.

Long story short, there are some things you can do with your kid and your kid's device that should help establish consistency between households.

Ultimate, if mom decides to do something differently during her parenting time, you probably need to suck it up - unless the kid's welfare is at risk.  A little bit more or less screen time probably doesn't qualify.

As for mom treating one kid harshly - this may be a parenting style issue, it may be a family dynamics issue, or it may be something else.  In any case, the best you can do is demonstrate to your kid that you're fair, reasonable, interested, safe...  keep lines of communication open.  Any time your kid asks you to watch or listen something - do it (well, almost any time - you get my point).  If mom is harsh, inattentive, emotionally chaotic, unreliable...  eventually the kids will figure it out and rely on you anyway.

Hope there's something helpful in there...  hang in there.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 12:44:39 PM »

One approach is: if the "infraction" happens at Dad's house, then the consequences are also fully taken care of at Dad's house, and vice versa...

Or are you concerned that even if you communicate to Mom "Hey, this happened and got totally addressed", that she will still try to impose her own punishment on D13 too?

For many years my upset ex would state she had punished our child and that I had to continue her punishment.  In most cases, I listened with one ear then afterward I would decide to do what I considered best.

She did not know when to separate our child from the deed.  (Love the child, discourage the behavior.)

One time shortly before our final divorce decree I got him back after an exchange and he was so dejected because she said she would adopt another child who would obey her.  "My mommy's adopting another child who loves my mommy and listens to her mommy and behaves to my mommy."

Over the years she continued, saying she would even disown him, even into his adulthood, to the point of causing tears.

Pook075
Ambassador

Relationship status: Married but Separated

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2024, 01:14:24 PM »

When I went through boot camp for working in a prison system many, many years ago, the first thing they taught us in terms with working with inmates is to be fair, firm, and consistent.  We heard that phrase at least 30 times a day.

The "fair" part seems obvious- don't be too strict or too lenient.  That teaches right from wrong in a responsible way.

The "firm" is an extension of fair.  Yes means yes, no means no.  We'll discuss it fairly, I will consider it, and then I'll be firm on my answer.  There's no use arguing it with me because I'm like the Great Wall of China and won't be moved.

The "consistent" means to respond the same way each time and to now allow your mood to influence your answers.  Easier said than done and this was the most challenging for me.

I've found that fair, firm, and consistent works very well with BPD's since it makes me very predictable and transparent.  My moral compass is known before I'm even asked and that helps me stay clear of so much drama...they don't bring it to me because they already know how I'll answer.  I won't be manipulated the vast majority of the time, so it's not worth their effort to try.

As others have said, you're in control of you and have almost zero control over your ex.  This type of approach can simplify things though and it's worked well my with BPD ex and BPD daughter.
AlleyOop23

Relationship status: Married/living together

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 01:59:53 AM »

Thanks all.  Very helpful.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest