Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 24, 2024, 06:47:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Post: Spouse with worsening Triggers and False Accusations (Long)  (Read 1796 times)
overwhelmed2

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2024, 03:49:54 PM »

@ompluscator:
Thanks much for relaying your experience. That is super interesting, re your prior relationship and the effectiveness of medication and treatment. It is definitely a hopeful thing to hear.

To date, I've honestly never had any expectation for my wife to be open to the idea of treatment/therapy. From her perspective, she is the only person who is in their right mind, everyone else is a mess/inconsistent in her eyes...

She will tell you she is a 'straight shooter', 'direct', etc with pride, in her mind she is one of the few people willing to speak unvarnished 'truth'... but seeing what this means in practice basically means she will give someone her direct (unsupported by evidence) opinion to their face without any regard for their feelings when she is splitting on them.

Even for a physical illness, she will make claims about not trusting "doctors" (she'll go to the dentist but has not been to a regular doctor for nearly a decade)... often says they say things and schedule follow ups for profit or other motives, etc. Anytime anyone brings up a mental health concern its immediate eye rolls. It's like that is for people who just don't have the courage to do the "right" things in life...

But more to your key point: As the partner of someone with issues like this, and someone who has been in a committed relationship for close to 30 years with this person, *I* clearly have some issues to work on that are in my control. I need to get my self esteem sorted and understand what I am willing or should tolerate and how I can draw boundaries. I have a fear of abandonment myself.

I also still hope there is some way I can get her to improve; but as noted, I would be surprised if I am ever able to get her to admit she needs to and am not going to make "hoping for a miracle" my plan.

The biggest problem is that it is getting much *worse* much faster rather than better as we head into our retirement years and her threatening to leave me all the time is triggering MY OWN problems/weaknesses. I am pretty certain, I cannot live like this long term, I suppose the anxiety will just do me in at some point even if I manage to stay/keep it together without improvement. I am freaking out myself at the possibility of a lifestyle change and cannot deal with these episodes.

I am conflict avoidant... It takes me weeks to recover emotionally from a blow out, it is getting to the point where tiny stuff is setting her off on me all the time and she is taking absolutely no ownership for anything of the things she is complaining about and will not even acknowledge the possibility that she may not be reading my mind correctly...

For like the first 25 years, we would have like four or fewer of these kind of crazy meltdowns... I could recover and the great times have been *amazingly* great. But the last 5-10 years has been a ramp to where we are now, where I am daily in fear of her being triggered and we can have four or five blow outs in month. Just crossing paths with one of the neighbor women is enough to put our entire week at risk. I'm less willing to leave the house, etc.

Anyway, sorry, I guess I am kind of spiraling myself here (has some issues this weekend); but, in principle, I agree with the wisdom here:  my own emotions and issues are what I can control and as a partner for someone with this kind of set of issues, I need to be the one to draw lines because I am the one who is self-aware enough to know what is rational and what is not...

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

overwhelmed2

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2024, 03:58:04 PM »

For like the first 25 years, we would have like four or fewer of these kind of crazy meltdowns...
What I meant to say above is we'd have like 4-5 of these: I'm going to split on you kind of events per year. If shee had been doing it once a week and threatening to leave me when we had not built a life with kids, family, etc, I *would* have left. I'm in a worse place mentally, physically than I was at 30.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest