Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
August 23, 2017, 10:42:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Borderline personality disorder: statistics Read here
Administrator: heartandwhole
Moderators: Meili, once removed
Member support team: DaddyBear77, gotbushels, marti644, Tattered Heart, Turkish, wendydarling, Woolspinner2000
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF PERSONALITY DISORDERS
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is cutting and suicidal ideation common to all pwBPD?  (Read 23081 times)
EmmaLvsWaffles

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 01:51:25 PM »

My BPD SO does neither.  She used to slap herself, until one day I slapped myself.  She got very upset and told me not to do that.  I told her, that's how I feel when you slap yourself  cry  She apologized, and promised never to do it again, and she hasn't.  xoxo  It's the only time in nearly the 9 years we have been together that I have actually gotten through to her.  About ANYTHING. 

Emm

EmmaLvsWaffles

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 01:53:13 PM »

I'm so glad she stopped, cause that hurt!   

Emm
hadnoidea

I'm here to try to save my nephew from his mom....

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 02:58:48 PM »

my pwBPD doesn't to that specifically, but she does pick scabs, destroy her face trying to pop zits, and is a "secret night eater"  that claims she can't control her weight due to "thyroid issues"...she is 33 years old and very obese...
Scott44

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 10:21:59 AM »

Only once out of coutless times did my pwBPD cut "because" of something I said.  It makes me feel very sad.  I'd like to think of myself as someone who would never "cause" that much pain.
mosaicbird

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 10:41:53 AM »

Numerous times, yes. But I don't operate under the belief that it was "because" of me...   I don't have that much power over people. Her self-injury was an expression of pain that came from deep within her - pain that existed long before I came into her life. It could have been triggered by things that went on between us, but it was not because of me, and it's a burden I refuse to take upon myself. Yes, I caused her pain, but I am not the cause of anyone being disordered enough to self-injure in response to that pain.

Scott, I'm not sure why you're determined to take on so much responsibility for your ex's actions, but it seems to be a pattern in your posts, and it comes across as hubris, grandiose thinking, and/or poor boundaries on your part. She was her own person, with her own internal demons, and they existed before you came into her life.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Scott44

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 10:49:53 AM »

Thank you mosaicbird.  Perhaps my grandiose thinking is a product of having to take responsibility for everything in the r/s for 11 years.  I'm only now realizing that her actions were just that - hers.
Somewhere

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 04:18:38 PM »

Jumping back towards the starting concept . . . Cutting (or Self-Injury, in general) and Suicide Ideation -- very different things.

The Self-Injury is usually a method of Self-Medicating the out-of-control brain.  When the amygdala goes hyper, the self-injury can calm it down immediately.  Sort of impressive in that regard.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20537612

www.scientopia.org/blogs/scicurious/2010/09/01/the-neuroscience-of-self-inflicted-harm/

The Suicide part is more likely an attempt to stop the pain, as well, but permanently.

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions

EDITORIAL DEPARTMENTS
My Child has BPD
My Parent/Sibling has BPD